Author Topic: Two new toys  (Read 939 times)

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Two new toys
« on: March 19, 2004, 02:31:49 PM »
As I sit here at the computer tonight, I have sitting beside me the two new Handi's. I am home from SD with the new 44 Mag and tonight the new 45-70 got here to Walmart. Tomorrow if the wind and weather allows I will get a chance to run a few rounds through them. I got all my Reloading stuff ready. I bought two boxes factory loads for the 44 Mag, one box of Hornady 240 grainers. And one box of Winchester Partition Gold 250 grain. I have a box of Remington and a box of Winchester 300 Gr HP's for the 45-70. I have two boxes of Barnes 300 gr spire point 45-70 bullets and an old box of 350 grain Barnes X Hollow Point bullets so I am ready to start. I also have a box od 405 grain cast bullets for the 45-70 and a 500 pack of cast 44 mag bullets. :grin:
shot placement is everything.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Two new toys
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 02:53:57 PM »
If your 45 70 is like mine you're in for a very sore shoulder. I've fired 28 rds. through mine today,and my shoulder is killing me. I was shooting the 300 gr. Win hp's and I've never been beat up like this, and I shoot a 300 Wby. alot.
It reminds me of a pump shotgun with 3" mags. and 2 oz. of shot. I switched over to the 280 barrell and it felt like a B B gun compared to the 45 70.
Do all the load's for 45 70 kick  like this, or is it just my Ultra? If I ever Bear hunt with this one,I just may try taking him with a Bowie knife first, and use the 45 70  if the knife fails.     Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Two new toys
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 03:10:19 PM »
JamesB & Ditchdigger, I cannot figure out the difference in these H&R 45-70's. Mine does not kick anywhere as hard as any of my 12 Gauges. I can shoot the lighter weight 45-70's, the 300's and 350's all day with no discomfort. I shudder at the thought of shooting that many 12 Gauge shells. I can see the BC hitting hard with that curved buttplate but my 45-70 Handi is a pussycat to shoot. I have seen others here say the same things Ditchdigger and I am saying also, some say they kick like heck (ditchdigger) some say they are a joy to shoot with little recoil (me) . Very confusing...<><.... :grin:  :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
Two new toys
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 04:14:34 PM »
MSP it may be the tightness of the bore or any no. of things. I cleaned enough black stuff out of the barrell that I thought it was going to be a 50 cal.when I finally got it halfway clean. I spent the better part of 2 hr.s cleaning it last night,before the patches started getting a little cleaner.  It did not take but 2 shots to realize I needed a lot more eye relief from the scope.  If the 2nd scope ( 2X7 wide angle Redfield) lives through another 28 rds. it will take honors as the toughest scope in the country. The front sight gave up at about 8 rds. and decided it wanted no more of this,so I tightened it back up and went at it again. I decided that if I was having to go through recoil stuff, it was going to have to take it to.  Digger

Offline JPH45

Two new toys
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 04:43:33 PM »
Ditchdigger, for a mild just enjoying shooting load, take 15 grains of Unigue and stick it under any cast bullet available. The Lee 340 grainer does 1100 fps from my barrel and the Lee 405 HB does 1000 fps. Both are very comfortable to shoot, need no fillers and shoot very good. Use standard rifle primers. 405 grainers at 1400 fps are just about my recoil tolerance these days. Remove the recoil pad, and fill the stock bolt hole with lead shot. Also, get the Survivor model forearm from Choate and fill the blank spaces with lead. The two of these together will make the gun weigh about 10 pounds and will get a handle on the recoil for you. The lead in the butstock alone makes a difference. For hunting you can always remove the lead, and have an easy to carry rifle. You won't notice the recoil when hunting.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Two new toys
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 04:47:07 PM »
I think the bullet weight plays a big part in recoil. The lighter 300 and 350 gr. don't kick near as much as the bigger bullets do. The angle of shooting, when from a bench, also means a lot. You can shoot all the live long day offhand, but benching them can leave your arm a bit limp. If recoil is a problem, adding weight to the stock is the answer.
Don

Offline JPH45

Two new toys
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 04:49:18 PM »
James B, I forget, congrats on the 44, if yours is like mine, this will become one of your favorite rifles. Some people describe a rifle as a "go to gun". My 44 is my "won't do without gun". Great little shooter, lots of fun.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Two new toys
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 05:04:08 PM »
I had one of these before and with factory loads it was not bad . Some of my relaods were pretty stout. I use the Marlin Loads in my Handi's.(From the Hornady Manual). I don't know for sure what scope I am going to put on it. I have a new M8 4X luepold. I also have a Tasco world class 2x7 scope and a Bushnell Sportview (old) 3x9 with bullet drop compensator. That would work well for the rainbow trajectory. I have a couple scopes on layaway that I can use later. One is a Scheels Hunter model and the other a Luepold rifleman at Wally-World. Midway has some straight 2x scopes on sale for 20 bucks. Tasco pronghorns. I have had good luck with those on three other rifles. I shot a 500 lb Black Bear with my other handi. Used a 350 Grain Hornady round nose @ 1850 fps.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
Two new toys
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 05:07:43 PM »
JPH 45 I'm going to drop down from 51 grs of IMR 3031 to 40 grs. and try that.  I've got some 405 gr. no. 2's and I think about 10 to 15 grs. of Unique should be a fun rd. I also had the added weight of a bipod on the 45 70 when I shot.   Digger

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Two new toys
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 01:28:16 AM »
Ditchdigger, try 28.0 grains of 2400 behind a 350 grain jacketed soft point (I used a Hornady) for a sweet, accurate, easy shooting load....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley