Author Topic: Old but still is king  (Read 1755 times)

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Old but still is king
« on: March 15, 2004, 09:42:02 AM »
Just browsed abit on the big bore forum and bear hunting forum. Even if the 45-70 is older than dirt, I'm glad I have one. When I was deciding to buy a 30-06 or the 45-70 my instincts told me to get something for all occasions. Makes me feel so good about the 45-70 that I'm going to go to the range in the next couple days to celebrate. :D If I was to go bear hunting, I believe that a 405 grainer between the eyes would make the bear back up and giv eyou 9 cents change. Needless to say, I love MY 45-70.  :-D  :grin:  :)                                  Tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Old but still is king
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 12:38:59 PM »
I just love this cartridge.  My new barrel on my SB2 Ultra stock, arrived before I went on vacation 2/19.  I went out the other night and it will never fail me.  The 3 shot group was MOA at both 25 and 50 yards was far more than I expected.  For hunting conditions in deep woods, this is a great set up.

My load was:

405-gr RNFP
Fed 215 LMRP
13.5 gr of Unique
No Dacron filler  :roll:

Now mind you, I removed the scope and mount from my 35 Whelen barrel, and had to remount putting the scope rings on the base and then screwing them down.  I reset the scope in place making sure the cross hairs were nice and straight.  I went to the range with my son, who was totally surprized as well that no adjustment was needed as you can see.

If I do my part in the woods, my rifle will do it's part I'm sure.  Now I got a SB2 Ultra in 45-70 with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Commerative medal in the stock  :-D

Now what to do with the 35 Whelen barrel.

Offline Deadeye47

Old but still is king
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 02:52:42 PM »
I guess that load is pretty popular...same one I use!! LOL  UHHH If ya want to know what to do with the 35 Whelen barrel I can send ya my address... :roll:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Old but still is king
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 03:16:44 PM »
what velocity does 13.5gr of Unique give you for a 405gr bullet?

Was that a 22" barrel you put on the Ultra?

I have some good ideas for that Whelen barrel too. :grin:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Cottonwood

Old but still is king
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 12:34:11 AM »
handirifle

It was the "NEW" 22" 45-70 barrel that I just got back from H&R.  I don't have a chrono to see what the FPS is.  I do know I like the powder as it burns CLEAN.

On another board, they recomended using a dacron filler  :noway: with my origanal 50 round loads of 11.0 gr Unique.  Using a Fed 215 LMRP insured proper burn of the ALL the powder.  I then loaded up the other loads (50 rounds) using 13.5 gr Unique.

I would much rather have accuracy than the faster FPS that many are seeking by sooping up the 45-70 cartridge. :cb2: I could sit there and shoot these loads ALL day long with no ill effects on my shoulder.

Now I wish I had me some Hawgs to hunt :cb2:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Old but still is king
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 05:42:09 AM »
What does the manual list as the rated velocity?  Is it in the factory load range?  Like you said these 45-70 do not need to be souped up.

On another post the fellow shot a hog with his using 405gr bullet and it broke the boars neck but didn't exit.  This puzzled him till his buddy pointed out the 5" tree it killed BEFORE hitting the hog.  I wonder if my '06 would have done that?

He didn'tsay how fast it was but did say he did not need MORE velocity.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline RussB

• Avid Poster
  • Always walk softly and carry a big ol' smoothbore.
Old but still is king
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 11:12:43 AM »
I am going to test this load in my Handi over a chronograph when I get back next week. I would suspect it to be less than 1200, but I don't have a clue right now.
If it should get 1200, or just a "tad" over, I will be tickled pink.

I would love to get my hands on a 35 Whelen barrel. I think that is, quite possibly, one of the best deals NEF had. I'm told this barrel is no longer available. I looked on their barrel replacement page, and I couldn't find it, so perhaps it is gone. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, would the 38-55 barrel from the "classic" fit my SB2? Any help on this would be appreciated.
Russ

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Old but still is king
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 11:18:06 AM »
RussB, Yes, any SB2 receiver can be fitted with the Target Model 38-55 barrel...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RussB

• Avid Poster
Old but still is king
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 12:46:40 PM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
RussB, Yes, any SB2 receiver can be fitted with the Target Model 38-55 barrel...<><.... :grin:

MSP Ret...That does indeed deserve a smiley face. I think I will be robbing my piggy bank here shortly for just this reason. I have one, or maybe two moulds, a 375428, and/or a 375449 (Not sure I still have both) but which ever one I have is in desperate need of being used..... Seems the perfect place would be in a new barrel. Thanks for that information.
Respectfully, Russ

Let me try that smiley thing..... :lol:

Offline Cottonwood

Old but still is king
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 02:58:38 PM »
Quote from: RussB
I am going to test this load in my Handi over a chronograph when I get back next week. I would suspect it to be less than 1200, but I don't have a clue right now.
If it should get 1200, or just a "tad" over, I will be tickled pink.

I would love to get my hands on a 35 Whelen barrel. I think that is, quite possibly, one of the best deals NEF had. I'm told this barrel is no longer available. I looked on their barrel replacement page, and I couldn't find it, so perhaps it is gone. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, would the 38-55 barrel from the "classic" fit my SB2? Any help on this would be appreciated.
Russ

RussB

Please let me know what the load chrono's at as well.  Now as for a 35 Whelen barrel  :idea:   When you have a 45-70.... do you really need anything else.  I just may sell the barrel to help fund another Buffalo Classic project, but no one has made any offers yet  :eek:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Old but still is king
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 06:18:06 PM »
OK Montanan, here is your first offer, $50.00....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RussB

• Avid Poster
Old but still is king
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 04:16:16 AM »
RussB

Please let me know what the load chrono's at as well.  Now as for a 35 Whelen barrel  :idea:   When you have a 45-70.... do you really need anything else.  I just may sell the barrel to help fund another Buffalo Classic project, but no one has made any offers yet  :eek:[/quote]

Montanan......Perhaps I'm mistaken, but aren't you the one who had the "killer" classic built up, with sights from Lee Shafer, custom let off, and all the "goodies" for a true Cartridge Rifle? I thought I saw that same gun on one of the auction sites for pretty good pocket change. I may be mistaken in names sometimes, but I seldom forget rifles. And, I do admit I may be a bit confused here.
The 35 Whelen.....aah, now that is another one of those "special" rounds that one seldom forgets. I do own a 35 Whelen at present. It is on a 1500 "trued & squared" Howa Action, 27" #4 Douglas Air Gauge bbl, with 1:14 twist, Three folding "flip-up"express sights on quarter rib from NECG. and, Pillar bedded w/Devcon in no.2 claro. (There is a very strong resemblance to the older Whitworth Express imported by Interarms a few years ago, with a few of my own thoughts in it.)
I said I would like to have a 35 Whelen barrel for my Handi, and I definitely would. However, MSP Ret. spoke up first, with an offer, and as far as I'm concerned he should have first shot at it.
If things don't work out between you two, let me know. I am still interested in the barrel.
Send me an eMail, and I will send you a picture of my 35 Whelen. I don't know how to post a picture here, but I see it all the time......guess I've got to work on that a bit too. I will, most likely, be out of town until next week, so be patient with me. okay?
Russ

Offline Cottonwood

Old but still is king
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 07:16:35 PM »
Here is what I am going to do... first I'm going to take the barrel to my gunsmith and have him judge the condition of the barrel, I think this is fair for everyone, it does have some blueing wear not much but is up towards the end of the barrel.  Then after the barrel is inspected and I'm told what is a FAIR price, then I will let our first bidder have first shot at it.

MSP Ret, will then be notified of my desired price.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Old but still is king
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 02:21:44 AM »
Thanks Montanan, I'll be waiting....<><.... :grin:

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Old but still is king
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 07:59:18 AM »
I have a new 45-70 Handi Rifle that should be in a Walmart as we speak. I have been gone for a week so I will have to run up there today and check it out. :grin:
shot placement is everything.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Old but still is king
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 09:21:14 AM »
:D , Montanan, Watch OUT!! Duck!!!  PM coming at ya!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Old but still is king
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 02:39:19 PM »
Checked at Walmart to see if my 45-70 came in. There was a mix up and it didn't get ordered. He reordered it a couple days ago and he says it should be here tomorrow. I won't hold my breath though. :(  Darn!!
shot placement is everything.