Author Topic: MSP RET, to answer your question.......  (Read 554 times)

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
MSP RET, to answer your question.......
« on: March 20, 2004, 03:18:49 AM »
No, it's not for 35 Whelen OR 35 Remington.....it's for a Hopkins & Allen 35 cal target underhammer muzzleloader rifle, the "OFFHAND MODEL"

I found out later that it was originally sold as a 36 cal for unpatched conicals, but I wanted it for small game on state land, which only allows up to 36 cal round ball only.

I spent (far to much) time working up a round ball load for this, the rifle slugged out at .352 bore, grooves .361.  I finally had to resort to getting a .340 mold custom made at Dixie Gun Works....to get it to shoot at all  with patched round ball, and the load search is still not finished! :eek:

This workup (?workout? :? ) was so time and thought  consuming that I took the moniker on.

I'm giving it a rest to pursue my H&R/NEF  interests.......it all started with 12 ga slugs and skyrocketed from there....but I THINK I reaching a plateau, at least my money is.... :P

Walmarts are sprouting up all over the place down here, and was not much interested in going there, until I saw all the chatter about it here.

Very interesting, one of the 1st times at Walmart, ALL their hunting stuff was on incredible clearance. I got couple Remington orange camo shirts and a vest, and I bought out their supply of 777 at $5.00 :eek:  :eek:  :P  a pound!!! So, I have this forum to thank for that :D

David
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
MSP RET, to answer your question.......
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 03:29:35 AM »
Boy oh Boy offhand35, you sure lucked out on that 777! Wish I had been there. I do not particularly enjoy shopping a Wal-Marts for guns but they always seem to have their hunting and fishing stuff on sale, more so hunting gear. Thanks for the info on the name, very interesting and good luck on finding a good load for your gun. I also am hooked on these H&R single shots, relatively inexpensive to play with and endless possibilities to cheaply "customize" to fit your needs and desires at the time. It is also nice to have something you can lug around in the truck without fear of scratching or denting. The trouble is, my the Walnut stocked ones make me sit up and take notice if they bump around in the truck or in the woods. When I think about it it's kind of odd really, I try to make them nice and then I'm afraid to really enjoy them in the woods! I'm currently and happily build up 2 specialty Handi's, a close range .22 Mag coyote gun and a short woods rifle, working on these sure is fun....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley