Author Topic: After market recoil pad?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
After market recoil pad?
« on: March 22, 2004, 08:27:42 AM »
On the old NEF/H&R forum, someone had found an after market recoil pad that fit Handis without any sanding. Does anyone remember the maker of this pad? Thanks.
mt
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
After market recoil pad?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 09:30:06 AM »
Check with Scruffy at the shotgun forum. I believe he probally remembers the make and model #.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
After market recoil pad?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 03:33:37 AM »
If your NEF stock has a factory recoil pad the Sim's Limbsaver part #10003 is the direct screw on replacement.  If your stock didn't have a recoil pad from the factory and only has the plastic plate the stock is an inch or so longer and the bottom screw hole is different, but if you have experience cutting stocks that's not hard to overcome.

But again, if you have a recoil pad already, unscrew the old, screw in the new #10003, all good to go.

I'm currently looking at putting a new sims limbsaver recoil on my 870 supermag 12 gauge (3.5" ouch!) and a sims limbsaver slip over recoil pad on my NEF pardner 12.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
After market recoil pad?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 03:53:37 AM »
Scruffy, question please, why the slip on on the H&R instead of a fitted and how much are they? Also the best (price wise) place to order them?  Thanks....<><.... :grin: ( I make golf clubs and use Sims vibration inserts in some of my clubs, depending on what the customer needs and wants. They do make a good product, although the golf inserts are becoming hard to find now, even in quantity. It seems they have moved more into other fields, bows and guns...)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
After market recoil pad?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 04:29:46 AM »
Scruffy,

Does that same pad fit both wood and synthethic stocks?

Thanks,

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
After market recoil pad?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »
msp-ret, my pardner doesn't have a recoil pad, just the plastic plate, so I'd have to cut 1" or so off my stock.  I've thought about this but I can't make myself take the saw to it.  I like the plastic recoil pad when hunting pheasant, deer, ducks, etc because it slips right up in place where the rubber recoil pad often grabs my coat and doesn't hit me right.  So, with turkey hunting coming and no thick coat to cushion the recoil I'm thinking I'll slip one of the sims limbsaver pads over it.  Then after turkey season is over pull it back off.  I like shooting skeet with the plastic plate.  Maybe I'm old fashion, but I shoot light skeet loads and the glossy walnut stocks, no recoil pad, single shot really gets peoples attention at the skeet range.  And I don't usually notice the recoil, I'm having too much fun.  :grin:

On price, I don't know.  Sportsmans Warehouse here locally (about 45 minutes away but I'm in the sticks...) has them and it gives me an excuse to go in and look around.  :wink:

later,
scruffy

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
After market recoil pad?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 05:19:54 AM »
Does anybody know if these limbsaver recoil pads help the felt recoil much?
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
After market recoil pad?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 06:06:30 AM »
I doubt it will fit a synthetic stock because the synthetic stock recoil pad fits inside the synthetic stock.  I guess you could take a piece of wood or something to space between the recoil pad and where the factory synthetic stock recoil pad mates.

On recoil, I don't know one yet but have read alot of good reports (none negative that I can remember).  Remington's new R3 recoil pad that's going on alot of their shotguns (rifles?) is the sims limbsaver.  So Remington thinks it's good.

I've handled the limbsaver recoil pads and they feel like they would work, and their compression chamber thoery seems sound.  But I'll find out for myself next month.  For sure on my Remington 870 super mag (the factory recoil pad's about rotted off of it, seen some better days....), I'm not sure on the pardner.  I might just leave it.  When the fiber optic bead I screwed in the end fo the barrel is on the neck of a turkey I don't think I'll feel the 3" mags kick!  The 870 on the otherhand has alot of 3.5" high velocity turkey loads (30 rounds....) I need to shoot up and I feel it's recoil!  OUCH!

later,
scruffy