Author Topic: NEF/H&R Handgun  (Read 1092 times)

Offline ogo

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF/H&R Handgun
« on: March 26, 2004, 12:37:23 AM »
While reading the NEF/H&R forum on another board ,seams a fellow sent a letter to NEF asking them why thr don't make a handgun based on the single shot rifle action. A lot of people,along with myself,though it was a g\reat   idea.A lot said they would buy one.ME too,probably more than one. What do you think?

Offline Leftoverdj

NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 03:29:31 AM »
Can't be done for legal reasons without a whopping tax and special paperwork on each one. The T/C can do it because they built the Contender and the Encore as pistols first.

If that don't make no sense, you oughta know better than to expect the gubmint to make sense.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline safetysheriff

NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 09:26:00 AM »
ogo,

Sounds like a mix-up taking place here; but I could be wrong.   If NEF makes it at the factory as a single shot it should be priced normally, except if they do extra work on the barrels so they'll handle single-shot pistol bullets which are thin-jacketed.    Dj' may be talking about after-market conversions, but I'm not sure.    Just look at the bolt action Savage and Remington; they're priced for the market and they're also worked on extra to handle those thin-jacketed bullets.

Just don't do a conversion yourself, because that will get you into the BTF's Bad Graces......leave a rifle as a rifle is all I can tell you.    But I think you were talking about factory productions which should be just fine.
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Jim M

NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 10:29:35 AM »
Buy a TC contender. They make a great handgun and a lot of fun to shoot. I bought my first one in the 70's.

Offline ogo

NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 11:21:19 AM »
Don't worryI sure don't want on the bad side of the BTF.Just passing on some info i found on another site.They were talking about NEF making them.I do own a contender.22 hornet & 45/70,.love it.If they change the law here in pa back to where you can use centerfire 23cal. and less f or    small game,it will be great

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 02:07:39 PM »
I am with you on this one ogo.   I love my Contender but would sure like to see NEF come out with a single-shot too.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 02:19:50 PM »
i'd like to see NEF come out with a small frame 20 gauge side by side hammer gun !
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 03:01:37 PM »
Quote from: ScatterGunner
i'd like to see NEF come out with a small frame 20 gauge side by side hammer gun !

Make mine hammerless and with screw-in chokes.  :D

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 03:37:54 PM »
OUCH Brett ! -

screw in chokes ??!!?? hammerless ??!!??

hey, i'd take either if NEF had it, i prefer hammer guns with IC/M barrels, but if they offered a SxS from 12 - 28 guage or 410 with or without hammers and with or without tubes, i'd be the first dude in line.

this sunday, i'm going down to florida for bobwhite, i'm bringing three scatterguns, my 20 ga DHE, my poli 410, and my handi with a brand new-never-been-shot 410 barrel, my only single barrel hammer gun with a fixed choke !
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
NEF/H&R Handgun
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 03:40:31 PM »
NEF could certainly make a handgun version of their rifles if they wanted to, without getting afoul of the BATF.  Weatherby, Savage, Kimber, Pedersoli, Remington - they all have done it by simply modifying their existing rifle actions.  As long as the action is originally designated as a handgun when made - no problems.  

The problem would be the ergonomics of a NEF handgun based on the rifle action.  The pistol grip would be far to the rear on that long, heavy action and balance would be terrible.  It would look funky too.  NEF is wise to leave the break-open handgun market to T/C.   :-)