Author Topic: 2010 ,the year we made contact.  (Read 403 times)

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
2010 ,the year we made contact.
« on: March 07, 2023, 06:33:50 AM »
watched it again last night. And I must say it’s far better than 2001 a Space Odyssey. Although 2010 is some what of the continuation of the 2001 epic. Better special effects, better story line by far, even when dealing with Hal who doesn't go crazy this time. In fact ,Hal sacrifices himself , and uses the Discovery to save the other ship ( The Leonov, Russian ship)and its mixed crew ( Americans and Russians). Who barely make it out alive. When Jupiter begins to become a Star. And then it does , within two days, making our Solar system into a binary of two stars. Europa starts to become Earth like, even with evolving ,seeded life forms. Earth then receives a strange, warning, message. For us ( Earth) to never go to Europa. Which is guarded by a big monolth.

Good movie if you haven't seen it.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Casull

Re: 2010 ,the year we made contact.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 09:32:53 AM »
I know it's heresy, but I also like 2010 better.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 05:04:55 PM »
I'm not much on that stuff,
although I did like 1999 but
only because of Barbara Bain
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 01:50:23 AM »
er begins to become a Star. And then it does , within two days, making our Solar system into a binary of two stars.
I suppose that I will have to watch the story. I am interested in how the screenwriters manage to induce a fusion reaction in an object the size of Jupiter.

Offline Casull

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 08:14:50 AM »
er begins to become a Star. And then it does , within two days, making our Solar system into a binary of two stars.
I suppose that I will have to watch the story. I am interested in how the screenwriters manage to induce a fusion reaction in an object the size of Jupiter.

No help there.  They didn't explain it.  The higher beings simply did it.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 11:22:51 AM »

No help there.  They didn't explain it.  The higher beings simply did it.

It was explained in the book, and I thought you were given enough info to figure it out in the movie but it's been so long since I watched it I'm not positive.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Casull

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 11:51:37 AM »
I never read the book.  I don't recall any explanation in the movie, but it has been awhile.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 12:09:14 PM »
Just watched the library's copy. Can't say I was very impressed, thought it was a bit better than 2001.