Author Topic: Cast bullet ?s  (Read 640 times)

Offline farmerboyMT

• Trade Count: (0)
Cast bullet ?s
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:22:41 AM »
I'm new to cast bullet shooting so I need to ask a few questions.

1. What is the general opinion of Oregon Trail bullets?  I think I'm going to try their 165gr rnfp.
2. I'm currently loading 150grn Hornady Interloc RN on top of 27.5 gr IMR 4198 for a Winchester 1894 30-30.  I'd like to continue to use 4198 any thoughts on this.
3.  I'm getting roughly 2200 fps with my current load what can I expect with cast bullets? Will there be any difference?

If anybody has any thought please feel free.
Thank you
Bryan Danley

Offline Chargar

Cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 04:44:36 PM »
Let me take a stab at your questions. First of all I have never shot any Orgeon Trail bullets, so don't have an informed opinion. I have shot very few "store bought" cast bullets in my life time. I have never had acceptable results with any of them, and I always go back to my own products.

If you have a load that works for you in the 30-30 go ahead and give it a try. It won't hurt and may be a good load. 4198 is a good cast bullet powder in the 30-30. I prefer 3031 or 4895.

In terms of results I really can't say about your load and your rifle, but in general cast bullets in the 30-30 can be fired at the same velocity as jacketed and accuracy will be equal or better.

Don't forget to remove all metal fouling from your barrel before shooting cast bullet. This will require Sweets 7.62 or similiar solvent that will get the metal fouling out. skip this step and your cast bullet shooting is destined to failure and disappointment.

Offline Doctor Sam

• Avid Poster
cast bullets
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 01:58:12 PM »
Lyman's 311291 gas checked 170 grain RN with 28 - 30 grains of 3031 works well for me in the 30-30.  Makes a heck of a turtle gun!
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Oregon Trail Bullets
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 07:17:35 PM »
FarmerboyMT,

I have shot a ton of OTBC bullets and have several thousand on hand.  The first bullet that I tied from them was the 165-170 grain bevel based 30 caliber bullet.

It is terrible, but their 170 grain that requires a gas check is very suitable.  

The 165 grainer would tumble when shot from 4 different barrels at low and medium velocity.  It would shoot a 6 foot group at 100 yards.

If your don't have gas checking tools, Lee Reloading makes a "Sizing Die" that goes on your regular reloading press and it will seat the gas check all in one stroke.  The bullets don't really need sizing, but you need the gas check.  I use Hornady checks mostly because they are about $5.00 a thousand cheaper than the ones sold by RCBS and Lyman.  Hornady makes them all.

Some of the bases on the OTBC 30 caliber bullets are a little too large in diameter for the gas check to slip on and the gas check needs to be expanded slightly by hand.  I have taken carriage bolts and with a grinding wheel ground them into the shape I want to perfectly open the check mouth slightly.

I have shot OTBC bullets below"

44 240 grain
44 300 grain
38 RN 158 gran
38 RNFP 158 grain
380 95 grain RN
32 170 grain Bevel Base for 32 Winchester Special - shoots great

I buy the above bullets at no less than a thousand at a time.

The 30 calibers run about $51/1000 delivered to my door.  Don't buy off of their web page as the prices are much higher.  I telephone and tell them what I want to pay and see if they go for it.

Harold Clark