Author Topic: ..Term limits..?  (Read 428 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
..Term limits..?
« on: May 11, 2023, 12:35:41 PM »
   Who needs term limits?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: ..Term limits..?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 12:57:35 PM »
Hey!  Maybe she can run for president, if slo-Joe decides not to.   

https://nypost.com/2023/05/10/feinstein-returns-to-senate-with-shingles-side-effects/?dicbo=v2-tyOXMec
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 02:26:35 PM »
Just me- I don't think anybody
at GBORL will live long enough
to see term limits for politicians.
It's too lucrative of a business
for them. That's why DJT was
such a threat. He came in wealthy
and didn't have to s*** anybody's
**** to get along and go along
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 02:44:57 PM »
Almost all American's want term limits on both sides.  However getting them to vote themselves out of office is not going to happen.  Just like doing a balanced budget. 

I've always thought a good way to cut spending is to cut all departments 5-10%.  Make them make cutbacks.  Then, add a tariff on all imported products, 2% on Chinese or any country with only one party rule.  Maybe 1% on true democratically elected republics.  We have to get our manufacturing base back home.  If Elon Musk can make cars in America with over 90% American parts, more than any other vehicles, other companies can also do it.  Musk uses a lot of robotics and 3d printing.  Why can't others invest in this more modern equipment?  Atlas V rockets use Russian engines.  Musk proved you can make good American engines, land a rocket and reuse it.  So far over 190 times, and landed his first one in 2016 after several failures.  A lot of companies give up on stuff, but Musk at least is persistant. 

GM made an electric car in the 1990's.  Didn't sell to well, so they gave up.  Musk's Tesla's are being made in the old GM plant they abandoned. 

Jeff Bezos build Amazon by not taking a profit for years until he underbid almost everyone, including Walmart.  Now he has a huge mail order business.  Sears would still be in business if they started using the internet early on like Amazon. 

We can do things, but our own government has to get out of the way. 

The poor were taken care of in 1960 will charities, churches, and extended families.  Charites and church donations were 100% tax deductible.  Government took over welfare starting in the mid-60's and reduced allowable charity deductions, has spent over 4 trillion dollars and we still have the same percentage of poverty. 

I would vote for almost anyone who would push for term limits.  This is the only way to change things back to normal.  The president has term limits, why not congressmen say 6 terms, and senators 2 terms.  Maximum 12 years.  This should start will all newly elected officials until all the older people are out.  There is a starting age for a president of 40, but no other age limit.  Maybe 80 or 85 should be the limit unless they are checked by doctors for not only health but mental ability with no dementia or Alzheimer's disease.  My mother is 90 and still sharp.  So some keep it, some don't.   
Opelika Portal

Online gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 03:48:48 PM »
While I like the idea of term limits and always have, it isn't without problems. If you have term limits you have government by staff and lobbyists. That is because no elected official has much institutional memory of what has been done or tired before, so they need help/advice on what needs to be done and what hasn't worked before. And the new people don't know who to talk to or where the information is that they need. Just Saying!

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 04:27:18 PM »
The only way this government will have term limits, is if there is a convention of states. Politicians at the federal level, make way to much side money to ever vote that in. There would have to be 34 states to attend. At the present time, just 19. They would fight this till the bitter end.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 11:41:25 PM »
i saw here on tv yesterday getting brought to her car in  a wheel chair and  she said she is feeling much better. id hate to see what she looked like a couple weeks ago!!!! it was sure kept quiet. if she would have been a republican the democrats would be screaming to take her job away and it would have been plastered all over the news every day. Sad thing is we are paying her wages and paying her doctor bills and for her driver and ss men. we dont just need term limits we need age limits and yearly competency testing
blue lives matter

Online gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 12:17:41 AM »
Been hearing about the Dems wanting her to retire for weeks on the radio.

Online GTS225

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 03:17:23 AM »
I think I've said it before here, but will re-iterate.
I have mixed feeling about term limits.  Who are "we" (in any given state), to tell folks in another part of the country, that they can't keep that senator or congressman, that's been doing a good job for them, no matter how long it is?
I can see the points you all are making, but it also steps on the freedoms you claim to support.
On the other hand, yes, the underhanded dealings that many of these critters perform should earn them all jail time.

Instead, I propose a return to appointed-by-state-legislation, or isolated state elections for congresscritters, with STATE payment for services, (at NOT MORE THAN 120% of average annual wages in that state) and elimination of a federal paycheck and retirement package(s).

With this, control of congress could have a more localized "leash points", as well as state's legislature controlling the purse strings for thier pay.  If they want a retirement package, keep getting elected for 20+ years, and they'll get an identical package that the military services get.

Just my opine.....Roger

Online gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 04:22:13 AM »
Appointment by the state legislature was a better approach to governing. It would return the system to a more representative system which is focused on the state than on the mob. Although the mob is more likely to be liberal-entitled individuals.

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 04:49:27 AM »
    Term limits won't matter in Blue states , they will just reload with another woke liberal .

Offline scattershot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 10:24:02 AM »
This comes up from time to time, but I gotta ask; Who among those self serving hypocrites would sponsor such a bill, let alone vote for it?