Author Topic: Scope for 223  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Scotsman1886

• Trade Count: (2)
Scope for 223
« on: March 23, 2004, 11:34:16 AM »
I just picked up mu Heavy Bbl 223 Handi. I need a scope. I only plan on shooting targets at te range but maybe Coyotes if the opertunity strikes.
Wont be humpin threw the brush with it.
My wallet is a bit lite right now so I was lookin at Wally World.

What would be the best choice,,Cheep Simmons,Cheep Tasco or Cheep BSA. All about the same size 4x,,,?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Scope for 223
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 11:44:45 AM »
Is $100.00 to much? I got a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5x20x50 at SWFA ( www.riflescopes.com ) for $99.95 plus shipping. They have a Whitetail Expedition 6.5x20x50 in thier "Sample List" for $119.95, a good deal also. Try looking at their "Sample List" of demo's, discontinued, samples and overstock's, good deals can be had there and occasionally GREAT deals are found on scopes, both new and used, for cheap money,,,REAL cheap....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Scope for 223
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 12:52:34 PM »
Just watched a kid this afternoon buy a BSA 3-12x50 for $63 marked down (the same scope I paid $60 for used) ought to be good out to 200 yd. Don't know any of the specs and I can't tell ya much about mine as I haven't got to test it yet. Bushnell, Tasco, and BSA all have had a reputation among the forum members to hold up well for a while, don't buy one to be using 10 yrs. from now tho. MHO.
Have a friend who only uses the scopes from Wal-Mart that are under $100 and swears by 'em.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Scope for 223
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 02:03:31 PM »
lik2hunt, what do you know and how do you feel about BSA scopes now that you have had one/some? Are they all "Cats-eyes" or is that a specific model. I was thinking of getting one and don't know anyone thats ever had one, never even seen one in person....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Scope for 223
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 04:48:35 PM »
I checked their website for info on this one before I bought it and apparently it's adiscontinued model. I don't think it's as good as a Catseye but like I say I haven't got to really put it to the test and won't get to until the 25-06 gets back from H&R  :x I will say that magnification is as good or maybe even better than the Bushnell Banner (just above the 3-9x50) 50MM that was on the Rem. 700 that I shot last deer season.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline vick

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope for 223
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 07:46:56 PM »
You might want to look for a bushnell banner.  They can be found for less then $100 easily in my area.  The optics are great.  The ones I've seen are every bit as clear as my leopold.
Fear is but a stepping stone on the foot path to Glory.

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Scope for 223
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 01:25:15 AM »
The Banners are great too. They run anywhere from $89 to $99 in my area for the 3-9x50.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Ponydog

• Avid Poster
Bushnell Banner
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 01:49:21 AM »
I would highly recommend the Bushnell banner 3x9x40.  It has the "Dusk til Dawn " label on it, and it does gather light in low light situations...I have one on my .270, and my son uses one on his .243.  They have held zero for two trips to Texas deer hunting....( and that's a 16 hour drive for us here in Missouri)   I think the only thing I would consider in scopes , is perhaps moving up to the Legend, or Trophy Series in Bushnell....but for the money and the quality....I am not changing brands....( I got my Bushnell Banner for 62.00 online)

Ponydog
“when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
BSA Scopes
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 04:12:21 AM »
I have a BSA Scope on my NEF 17 HMR with Millet Angle-Lock rings (recommended by "MSP Ret", great ring system).  So far it has been perfect, but I have only used it at the range, so it does not get knocked around.  Plus the 17 hasn't much recoil.  

When I received it I was surprised at the quality for the money.

The "Big Cat" and "CatsEye" are the top-of-line of the BSA brand.

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Scope for 223
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 05:02:19 AM »
GrandpaMike, Glad your happy with the rings. If you like the BSA's and might want a couple od "Catseyes"  see the thread and my posts under the "BSA SCOPES" title for a deal at SWFA "sample list"....<><.... :grin:

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Scope for 223
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 05:24:54 AM »
Thanks "MSP Ret", but I just found out that BSA are made in China, rather buy USA made.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Scope for 223
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 05:33:07 AM »
GrandpaMike, Thats a big part of what turned me off on them also!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Scope for 223
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 06:38:20 AM »
Gentlemen,

I purchased a Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42 for my Ultra Varmint 223.  So far it has been a great scope...Of course I have yet to shoot the gun because of weather and the honey-do list but I like it so far.  I purchased this scope because I want to be able to see down range when I am target shooting and really be able to zoom in on the target...I am talking between 100 and 200 yard ranges.  I would like to coyote hunt with it also so I would have it set on 6x for that duty.  Only time will tell if I should have purchased a lower power scope but if that is so then I will do that.  This Tasco only ran me about $72 delivered to my door.  I'm sure that I could find another rifle that could use it.  Maybe that 17HMR I would like to pick up... :wink:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Scope for 223
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 07:22:46 AM »
I have had very good luck with Simmons.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Scotsman1886

Scope for 223
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 07:31:15 AM »
Thyanks for all the resposnes.
I think the "you get what you pay for" rule applies.
I'll let you all know how things work out

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
Scope for 223
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2004, 11:46:14 AM »
Hey scotsman1886 how are things in old ABQ, spent about 7 years there and just moved away about 3 years ago.  I still miss Sadie's, or any other GOOD mexican food for that matter.  I have been looking into those new Leupold rifleman scopes, not to bad of a price if they hold up as good as their other products.
I must be crazy.