Author Topic: meat hogs  (Read 1257 times)

Offline qweeksdraw

• Trade Count: (0)
meat hogs
« on: December 28, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »
I only bring this up because it bothers me so much, I am an avid hunter here in Michigan, I hunt almost everyday during bow season, and seeing many deer thrills me to no end, I guess thats why I hunt, and hunt and hunt. Some of you can relate I'm sure. I take no more than I'm allowed, usually two bucks.  Heres the grind, Its the guys, or poeple that shoot 6,7,8,10,12 deer, and then brag about it to apoint that there rubbing your nose in their gut pile!!!!   It absolutely makes me foam at the mouth, This happens more than I can stand.  Now I just walk away, but I'm still foaming at the mouth!!!!!!!   I blame the DNR. to a point because you could still buy doe permits in late nov. My deer processor cut up 1600 deer claiming 80% does and fawns, now I want to puke!!!!  The baiting issue is a real bag of crap, I hunt between two bait piles of other hunters that I can see from my stand, both of which dump by the pickup load.  Mich. law states 2 gal. max.  one of which claimed 6 deer in 2002 how many did the other hunters in his group shoot?

I have alot to say on the issue, but I'm interested in what other real hunters have to say, or suggestions on how to deal or cope with  blood thursty kill,kill,kill,%^&&$$#&(&^$#tards

May your own rewards let you sleep, while others make you want to grind your axe

3shotz1hol2u   qweeksdraw

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
meat hogs
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 03:34:31 PM »
Anybody got a ten foot pole I can borrow so I can touch this one????
Love those .41s'

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
meat hogs
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 05:11:17 PM »
as long as the hunters are with in the state laws and and are using the meat, i don't have a problem with them taking as many deer as they can.
If you know a hunter is taking more deer then the law allows then you should stop your crying do what is right and call the game Warden, but you must have the facts straight before you call. You also have to take into consideration crop kill permits or other kills that do not count on the state bag limit (on some mil. bases they have deer hunts and the deer that is killed does not count in your state bag limit)

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
meat hogs
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 04:49:59 AM »
If they are killing 80% does then two thumbs up for those hunters for letting the bucks walk.  It sounds to me like you're whinning because everyone is not hunting the way that YOU think that they should.    Also, if you're taking two bucks and no does then YOU need to take a long look at YOUR management techniques.  It sounds like you are adding to the problem and not helping it.  I don't know what the limit is in Michigan, but I do know that if the DNR is selling additional doe permits then they feel that those animals NEED to come out of the herd.  I would imagine imagine that Michigan is like many other states, too many deer, not enough habitat and too poor of a buck:doe ratio.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
meat hogs
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 06:34:02 AM »
I am from Michigan and understand what Qweeks is talking about.  The only legal problem here is in the amount of bait that is being used.  I would turn them in to the DNR.  Since there is a drastic difference in 2 gallons by law and the truckload used by these people.  However, as much as I disagree with our DNR on selling lots of tags (for $$$$$$) and even though I see far fewer deer every year, they do have a legal right to fill their legal tags.  I never fill all my tags, even though I could.  I just can not kill for statistics.  But we see it often from mostly downstate hunters that come up to the U.P and figure they have a moral right to kill everything they see.  After all, they have a legal right and they dont live here, they just use the resources and go home.   If someone needs the meat or gives it to people who appreciate it that is onething.  But killing for the sake of killing is lowlife.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
meat hogs
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 02:06:26 PM »
I have the same problem in northern wisconsin were I hunt. There are some real game hawgs out there on public land. They are the same guys who say "we all have to eat"! TRUE. but hunting illegally? Yeah right. Then ride their 5000 dollar atv up their 20,000 dollar four wheel drive pickup. Like they would starve without that fourth deer of the year. But get used to it, because this is what hunting has become in much of the upper midwest, and the dnr giving out all the doe tags a hunter  can afford. And some in other states might not understand how hunting in this region has really gone bad because of slob hunters. A partner last year was even told  by another hunter to  leave the area immedietly he was hunting. It was clearly public land. Not wanting to get in a arguement with a @#^#! with a gun he walked away. The issue  is how do we even start to reverse these problems? We have less wardens every year due to dnr  budget cuts. More and more people every year with the attitude "ain't my land" I seldom come across other hunters on public land were there is not an obvious violation.  Cutting trails for their atv's so they can get the corn back there. Always baiting  way past the legal limits too. Shooting past closing, atv's where they are not allowed, LITTERING!, beer cans really look bad too, and then telling us to leave! OH, DID I MENTION TRESSPASING?  You can call the warden, but that's a joke! Walk up and tell these people what they"re doing is illegal? These people don't listen to reason or logic. So what do you do? The only practical thing to do is find other places to hunt and hope it's better there. Private land if you can afford it? Any ideas anyone?

Offline Dave in WV

meat hogs
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 03:23:57 PM »
What's legal in one state is not in another. Before we throw rocks consider the other guy, if legal is  not truely wrong. Baiting and running deer with dogs is not my way but it's legal in some places.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline qweeksdraw

meat hogs
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 06:35:00 AM »
Please reread my post because some have failed to see my point or you fall into this catagory of meat hawg.  only my opions!  I have tons of slob stories that left an impressions on me!! Are you one? No morals or ethics.

Is there a bag limit on atv,s and snowmobiles?  lazy people!!!!

Pick up a rock and find a slob!!!!!!

best qweeksdraw

Offline Dave in WV

meat hogs
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 08:54:21 AM »
Some of my best hunting did not end in harvesting game but the lessons learned and the experiences I had were worth it all. I have passed easy shots and just watched the game with fun and admiration for the animal.  :grin:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline qweeksdraw

meat hogs
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 12:07:17 PM »
Amen to my brother Dave in WV.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
meat hogs
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 12:24:48 PM »
I used to live in Northern Michigan (Traverse City) and I saw a lot of what you are yalking about there too. I had friends that would fill all the tags they could get and then fill their friends tags too. At  that time we had plenty of deer so I didn't get too upset about it. BUT, I went back a couple of years ago and it looks like the population is way down from what I remembered. If the DNR is keeping a decent count and not over selling, I still don't have a problem with it. If they are just going for the bucks at the deer's expense, shame on them.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
meat hogs
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2004, 04:02:31 PM »
qweeksdraw get down off your high horse and stop tossing stones at the folks on here.

I've read your post several times and until now have felt no need to reply. Sorry but to me it appears maybe you're a part of the problem not part of the solution. If you see and know folks are breaking the law and don't report them then you are no better than they are. If you want the illegal baiting stopped then report it. Then you'll be part of the solution. If you just ignore and bitch about it here then you're part of the problem.

As to the number of deer the folks take if they are complying fully with the law and buying tags available for it then they aren't game hogs and are fully within the law. Get over it. If they are violating the law then once again if you know it and don't report it then how can you claim higher ground than them?

What am I missing here? If they are issuing so many doe permits that tells me that there are too many  does as compared to bucks. Yet you admit to shooting bucks only and no does. Again I ask are you part of the problem or part of the solution?

Here in Bama there are no tags. During doe days you can legally take one buck and one doe or two does per day. With bow this is Oct. 15 to Jan. 31 every season. For gun it varies by county with about 2/3 of the state able to do that the entire season. In my area it is for 37 days this season. Gun season runs from the Saturday before Thanksgiving to Jan. 31 each season. I could legally kill more deer in October each year with bow than I see all season long. Haven't shot a buck in the past three seasons. Does only.

I generally take one to three per season. Have taken more and season before last even got skunked for the first time in longer than I can recall. I've taken two this season and haven't really tried to take another.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline qweeksdraw

meat hogs
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2004, 05:45:15 AM »
Reread my post again because your putting words in there that I didn't say.  I never said that I don't shoot does, I said that I usually shoot 2 bucks, only because by law I can shoot  2 bucks, and that I spend more time in the woods than most hunters, again my choice.  Your  knit pickin the lead in and not gettin the point.   Yea! your the moderator and you can get the last word, but is this a forum? or a dictatorship?  A violator is a slob!  This is just my opinion!  Remember that.  Also remember that I have to coexist with these people.  Thats what I'm trying to cope with, If they tell me that they shot 11 deer last year, what am I turning in the DNR.  All I am looking for is a way to deal with it.  Because IT will never go away.

Best Qweeksdraw

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
meat hogs
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 03:16:04 PM »
I started dealing with it the only way I knew how. I started hunting several different areas in four different counties. instead of hunting one area year after year. I found hunting a lot more enjoyable when I finally decided to go other places, more opportunities to hunt longer seasons in other parts of the state,closer to home too. This lets me do more scouting too.So go other places if you can't stand it anymore, but I have to say if you got two bucks you did better than me .

Offline qweeksdraw

meat hogs
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 12:47:57 PM »
ihookem

I read your post from Dec. 30th.  Wow!! does that sound familiar,  We have had the same problems here in mich.  Opening day of firearms Nov. 15th.  A guy shot a nice buck and it died right in front of me, no problem come it get your deer and lets get back to hunting.  No No No!  He had to call his buddys on a 2 way and then they showed up with a atv.  He broke 2 laws that I know of that day.  I guess I was suppose climb down from my stand, go back to my truck, drive 15 miles back to camp and call the dnr. on opening day.

best qweeks

Offline rickyp

meat hogs
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 04:07:14 PM »
that is one of the reasons you should always carry a cell phone with you.
Like so many have said before, if you do not take steps to correct the problum then you are a part of it no matter how you justify your actions (or lack of)

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

meat hogs
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 10:30:53 AM »
A violator is a slob! This is just my opinion! Remember that. Also remember that I have to coexist with these people.

So you chose to coexist with the people you KNOW are violating.  And instead you come to Greybeardoutdoors and decide to accuse innocent people of being slobs?

One year I shot 5 deer.  Every one was perfectly legal.  Does that make me a meat hawg?

And actually, in a way, yes this is a dictatorship.  Greybeard can boot anyone he wants off.  In another way it's not a dictatorship, no one is going to pull you out of bed a 2 a.m. and haul you off to a concentration camp.  See the difference?

All I am looking for is a way to deal with it.

OK, I'll give you some advice on how to deal with this.

Do something about the illegal baiting.  Either approach your neighbors and in a kind way tell them that you won't stand for it.  Or just report it right out.  You make the judgement call as to which is the wisest, because you know your neighbors better than I.

And if it's the general poor attitude of the fellow hunters that you meet that really grinds you - the best thing to do about that is to do whatever you can to reduce the divorce rate and put two parents in every home.  The jerks we are seeing in the woods now are the products of broken families, or at least unhealthy families.  So much of how we learn to conduct ourselves comes from living with a good mother and a good father.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
meat hogs
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 02:02:04 PM »
I only shoot does because I hunt for the meat and the horns mean less than nothing to me. I have no problem getting permission to hunt as most land owners where I hunt really need to thin out the does. It would be different perhaps if there were not a big population of does. This year I was seeing about 15-20 does for every buck we saw. This on the big winter wheat fields. The first morning I hunted I counted over a hundred does and yearling on one big field. The problem is when the snow gets deep then they get into and all over the haystacks.
shot placement is everything.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
meat hogs
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 07:06:20 AM »
I agree that if hunters do things which are illegal, if nothing else you should point it out to them.  Better still is to call it in.  Of course, some people are coarse and cannot be shamed.  With hope there is no higher proportion of such coarse, shameless people involved in hunting than in the general populace around us.

About the number of deer killed, if legal numbers are taken I don't think you can blame the hunters for shooting all that are legal . . . unless they waste the meat.  Now, if you think that the legal limit is too high, I imagine there is a way for you to have your voice heard by the people who set these limits.  There may be public meetings where these limits are discussed.  If not, maybe you can schedule a meeting with someone who DOES have input into the decision making process.

I sympathize with you about people who seem to have no hunting codes that they live by.  I particularly don't like ATVs and feel they disturb the woods in a way that diminishes both hunting and the experience of being in the woods.  Maybe not for the guy who has bagged his deer and whose hunt is over, but for the other hunters in the woods.  My own opinion is that being in the woods isn't meant to be as comfortable as a trip down to the supermarket.  Discomfort, physical labor, and exertion are part of the game.  But I guess where ATVs are legal, people will use ATVs.  I'm not expecting others to adapt their aesthetics and sense of proper woods decorum to suit my taste.

Offline rickyp

meat hogs
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 08:36:03 AM »
ATV and hunting, not always a bad thing

I for one feel they are a great tool and should be allowed on all public hunting land as well as private.

1) If the ATV riders stay to the roads and trails the deer get use to them very fast. I have seen many deer feeding in a field when an ATV comes driving by the deer just looked up watched it go by and went back to feeding. In my experience ATVs do not disturb the wild life as much as some think.

2) If a hunter may be unable to walk or carry heavy loads for long distances due to medical or physical reasons. the ATV is a way to get them back out and hunt.

3) on public hunting land 90% of the hunters congregate somewhat close to the parking area. where I hunt I see this all the time, 10 hunters with in 1/2 mile of the parking and no one else but me in the back 40. If ATVs where allowed to be used on the public land the hunters will disperse more creating a safer zone between the hunters.

4) Since an ATV is easy to spot and most hunters do not hunt far from where they park (this includes ATVs). If a hunter is missing it will give rescue personal a place to start the search

5) it could raise more money for the state. If the state would charge a $5.00 ATV tag fee. Now times that by the number of hunters this could bring in millions for the state with very little work or expense.

Offline qweeksdraw

meat hogs
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »
Listen up ATV's are not a tool for hunting they are a nuisance!
I've been hunting for 45 yrs. and have never needed or disired an atv.  Get a horse or a backpack and see the country like it was supposed to be.  You might just like it without all the noise.

Cherokee him say, Walk much see little,   Walk little see much!

My .25 worth

Best qweeksdraw

Offline rickyp

meat hogs
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2004, 10:50:19 AM »
qweeksdraw,
Not everyone likes, has the land, money, or time needed for horses.  
I've been hunting for 45 yrs. and have never needed or disired an ATV.

This is you, I do not fault you for hunting the way you desire and you shouldn't fault anyone else because they do not agree with the way you think.
An ATV is a very useful tool for hunters more so for ones that find it harder to get around.  
some people find it hard to change with times and begain to think they way they do somethingis the only it should be done.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
meat hogs
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2004, 05:14:38 PM »
We have a local Game and Fishing related paper here in NH called the Hawkeye.  There was an article and a posting in the paper about a guy who had his ATV stolen while scouting in some woods.  Without getting too off topic here I will just say that other hunters stole it and left a note accusing the guy of stealing their game camera, which he did not do.  The real point is WHY the guy had an ATV.  He had ankle and leg surgery previously in the year.  Because of it he could not walk great distances.  The ATV allowed him to get into the woods in a general area and do SOME sort of scouting/hunting.  This is a good example of an ATV doing good.  People want to badmouth them because of the bad things idiots do by tearing up the land and not having any respect.  Get a horse?  Well ATVs are pretty expensive, but a horse + the cost every year to board and keep it is just plain rediculous.  I know this is getting off topic, but the accusation was made.
Brian M.
P.S. Just for the record NO I do not own an ATV, nor does my hunting partner.  But I would If I could afford it.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association