Author Topic: good factory .38sp target load?  (Read 544 times)

Offline legacy38

• Trade Count: (0)
good factory .38sp target load?
« on: March 24, 2004, 10:02:36 AM »
I got my 686+ back up and running today.  My club has a PPC match this weekend.  I'm planning to shoot in the rimfire class with my MK2, but I'll run in the centerfire match if I can get in enough practice between now and the match.  I haven't gotten into reloading full steam yet, and I am depending on a friend to reload for me now; so, some I figure to just use factory for this match.  Thanks.

Offline Flint

target
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 10:33:26 AM »
Most likely candidate would be a 148 or so grain wadcutter.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 02:02:17 PM »
S&W's have a slow twist barrel and won't stabilize hollow base wadcutters past 25 yards (typical factory HBWC's anyway). Does a PPC match include timed reloads? If so your basic LRN might be a good choice. I've gotten superb accuracy with CCI Blazer LRN's (yes, Blazer) with my Python out to 50 yards. Winchester cowboy .38 LFN are also very good. Win's 130 (125?) FMJ's are probably the fastest to reload with speedloaders and give good accuracy.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 02:48:14 PM »
Ive been getting real good accuraccy from a 158gr Berrys Plated Flat nose bullet over 4.2 grains of WW231.  Not bad at all in the recoil department, but Im shooting it out of a 6" SS GP-100, so there is some weight to spare there  :) .  Ive become a fan of plated bullets.  They cost more than lead bullets, but less than jacketed.  Plus you dont get the smoke like you do with lead and, most important to me, NO SCRUBBING LEAD OFF YOUR GUN!  You can even get 148 gr Wadcutters that are plated, but I believe those are offered from Rainier, another reputable plated bullet maker.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline legacy38

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 04:34:37 PM »
The longest shot is 25 yards, and there are no timed reloads in the versio myclub shoots.

I was looking for some factory loaded ammo that I could buy to shoot for this weekend.  My shooting buddy emailed me that he had loaded up 200 rounds for me; so, it looks like my problem is solved for this weekend.  

I'd still like suggestions for a good factory loaded ammo in case I find myself in this situation again.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 09:07:14 PM »
Those Aguila LRN rounds work well and are dirt cheap, good shooters for the money. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired