Author Topic: turkey choks and sights  (Read 762 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
turkey choks and sights
« on: March 23, 2004, 10:54:25 AM »
Hello to all--as there are several threads about turkey guns here I thought I would pass along my experience.

I have the 12ga.,3 1/2', with screw in chokes and the synthetic stock.  With 3" #5 Winchester Supremes I can shoot a pattern at 15yds. that I can drop a golf ball thru and it holds tight out to 40yds. or so.

However, my gun wouldn't pattern to POA, what I did was use a set of fiber optic sights bought for a muzzleloading project that never happened.  Removed front bead, marked an area for front and rear bases,  removed blueing with emery paper , stippled area with auto center punch  and mounted with JB Weld.  Taken the recoil of the 3' so far.

Filled buttstock with shot and it works for me. Good hunting--woodsrunner
Good Hunting--Woodsrunner

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
turkey choks and sights
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 11:07:15 AM »
I have never mounted sights with JB Weld but have seen it spoken of here for that reason. I Have fixed shower valves, Motorcycle crankcases, any several other metal things with it and it sure works great, it's right up there with Duct Tape!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dawei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: turkey choks and sights
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 08:11:20 AM »
Quote from: woodsrunner
Hello to all--as there are several threads about turkey guns here I thought I would pass along my experience.

I have the 12ga.,3 1/2', with screw in chokes and the synthetic stock.  With 3" #5 Winchester Supremes I can shoot a pattern at 15yds. that I can drop a golf ball thru and it holds tight out to 40yds. or so.

However, my gun wouldn't pattern to POA, what I did was use a set of fiber optic sights bought for a muzzleloading project that never happened.  Removed front bead, marked an area for front and rear bases,  removed blueing with emery paper , stippled area with auto center punch  and mounted with JB Weld.  Taken the recoil of the 3' so far.

Filled buttstock with shot and it works for me. Good hunting--woodsrunner

As I get older (I'll be 54 in a few weeks); I find I'm far less tolerant of recoil. I haven't used a 12GA since 87. If I hunted geese I would use a 12, otherwise I use a Mossberg 500 in 20GA. I shoot a lot of pheasant and ducks and it performs really, really well.

For Turkey Hunting I have installed a HastingsĀ® Super Full Choke and am very pleased. I use Federal Grand SlamĀ® 1&5/16oz of Copper Plated #6's. I have a self-imposed limit of 30yds. At that distance I put 61 pellets into the kill zone of a Turkey pattern target. Using the same load with #5's I get 27 pellets into the kill zone. Have not had a lot of success with #4's however.

Here in Washington State we only started Turkey Hunting in 96. Mostly it's Merriams and Rio Grandes in the Eastern half of the state. In 96 only about 300 birds were taken; last year the kill was above 4,500.

The MossbergĀ® 500 is a great gun, excellent value for the money. Very versitle and a sure "Gobbler Getter".