Author Topic: Biden FCC Moves to Put New DEI Controls Over Internet  (Read 179 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Biden FCC Moves to Put New DEI Controls Over Internet
« on: November 20, 2023, 09:42:07 AM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/fcc-joe-biden-dei/2023/11/20/id/1142976/

By Eric Mack    |   Monday, 20 November 2023 01:08 PM EST

This is apparently what was referenced within the past week of control of the internet. Graybeard

Ignoring the warnings of Senate Republicans this week, President Joe Biden's Federal Communications Commission is pushing forward with its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) agenda to take control of the Internet under the guise of "a fringe left-wing legal theory about discrimination."

Senate Commerce Committee Ranking Member Ted Cruz, R-Texas, denounced FCC Chair Jessica Rosenworcel voting to enact "Digital Discrimination," by forcing broadband providers to expansive, indeterminate, and crippling liability under the "disparate impact" standard.

Ostensibly it is authorizing leftist activists in the federal government to put a "heavy hand" on the scale, Cruz argues.

"Despite admitting there's 'little to no evidence' of discrimination by telecommunications companies, Democrats are hoping to convince the American people that broadband Internet is so racist they need to plow ahead with government-mandated affirmative action and race-based pricing," Cruz wrote in a statement. "The only beneficiaries of this Orwellian 'equity' plan are overzealous government regulators who want to control the Internet."

Cruz had led 27 Senate Republicans' letter to Rosenworcel warning against the vote later last week to authorize the Biden DEI initiative at the FCC, but she ignored it, his office lamented.

"Your Draft Order, which largely follows a Biden administration diktat, will create crippling uncertainty for the U.S. broadband industry, chill broadband investment, and undermine Congress' objective of promoting broadband access for all Americans," the letter read. "We urge you to adhere to the will of Congress and conform to the plain meaning of section 60506 to avoid causing serious damage to the competitive and innovative U.S. broadband industry."

The telecommunications industry has opposed the framework, arguing the policy will hamper investment in communities by requiring unnecessary regulations. In a statement after Wednesday's vote, The National Cable and Telecommunications Association, the industry's main trade association, called the new rules "potentially unlawful."

The group also said the FCC was seeking "expansive new authority over virtually every aspect of the broadband marketplace.

"Many, if not most, long-standing, uniform business practices could be seen to have differential impacts on consumers with different income levels," the group said.

During Wednesday's FCC hearing, Brendan Carr, one of the agency's commissioners, argued the new policies opened the agency up to potential litigation and would hamper operations by the telecommunications industry.

"It's not about discrimination," Carr said, denouncing the "power grab." "It's about control."

Conservative legal expert Mike Davis founded the Internet Accountability Project (IAP) to watch over Big Tech and government attempts to tip the scales against conservatives.

"These latest moves shift the balance between governmental oversight and individual freedoms heavily toward the government," Davis said in a statement this week. "Excessive government control from the Biden administration would curtail the very essence of a free and open digital environment, compromising privacy rights and growing the alliance between Big Tech and the federal government."

The move will "stifle innovation" and restrict freedoms under the guise of equity, just as Biden Democrats intended, according to Davis.

"President Biden's pronounced efforts to extend government control over the expansive tech landscape point toward an unprecedented level of government intervention in Americans' digital lives and basic freedoms," Davis added. "Consolidation of power over the tech space within the government, working in tandem with its corporate allies in Big Tech, will stifle innovation, freedom of speech, and freedom of association.

"Diversity of ideas and technological advancements will suffer."

Eric Mack | editorial.mack@newsmax.com
Eric Mack has been a writer and editor at Newsmax since 2016. He is a 1998 Syracuse University journalism graduate and a New York Press Association award-winning writer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Biden FCC Moves to Put New DEI Controls Over Internet
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 05:36:01 AM »
  Now, I don't like antisemitism or other hateful smears in the public square, but that is what our 1st amendment protects.

Like it or not, free speech is a necessary pedestal for a free people.  If you don't like what somebody says, either countyer them, or turn their BS off..

This is just another leftist effort to murder our constitution.

This censorship effort has gained steam in many states..   https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/01/social-media-sweeps-the-states-00043229

Government should NEVER censor speech, especially political speech, since political speech is what prompted the adoption of our first amendment.

With the web, government should not attempt to censor speech, but can act to assure fairness..  Either fairness or break up some monopolies.

There are anti monopoly laws already on the books...and they jhave passed the muster..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 05:47:04 AM »
Bill, I posted a thread concerning this a couple of weeks back November 7th, and you sorta denounced it as a  rumor. Have you changed your mind?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 09:01:50 AM »
Yeah Dan that is why I made the comment in blue text. I had not heard of any recent efforts regarding this at the time you posted that and said as much. Now I am seeing multiple stories on this subject so clearly there is a move by the biden handlers in this regard.

The blue text comment that preceded the story was my admission that the story you posted does have legs even tho earlier I had heard nothing of it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!