Author Topic: New Ammo Manufacturer  (Read 330 times)

Offline moamonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
New Ammo Manufacturer
« on: January 07, 2024, 04:51:53 PM »
I remember reading a year or so ago about a new ammo manufacturer starting up, I believe in Texas. Seems they were going to provide a new line of primers. Anyone know anything about them? Did they get swallowed up before they could even get started?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: New Ammo Manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 05:10:52 PM »
There are actually a bunch of new ammo makers out there these days. Just look on most any online ammo dealer and you'll see names listed that will not be familiar. I sure haven't heard anything of any new primer makers tho.

It takes a lot more equipment to make primers than it does to make ammo with components someone else has made.

They are importing a lot of primers these days from Mexico and I think maybe Italy as well. I see those on the sites of folks who sell powder and primers. They are a fair bit cheaper than American made ones, dunno how good they are tho.

These days both powder and primers seems to be in quite good supply but prices are astronomical. I'm talking 3-4 times what it was before Covid, that's ridiculous. Someone is making HUGE profit margins at such prices.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TrumpWon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 05:17:07 PM »
There's a new plant in Mesquite Texas for artillery shells

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 11:42:59 PM »
Every reloading press sold to a "new reloader" is effectively a new ammunition manufacturer in the making.

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 01:54:20 AM »
Fiocci is an Italian manufacturer.  I have used Fiocci shotgun shells and they are good.  Italians like their shotguns as well as cowboy type revolvers and lever actions. 

Aguila is Mexican.  I know they make 22lr cartridges, and I think shotgun shells, but they may make primers also. 

I have used some Czech powder, which was about $10 per lb. cheaper than American brands. 

I also know that Fiocci just built a factory in the US, either Arkansas or Mississippi.  Can't remember. 

Federal, Remington, and CCI are all owned by a Czech company now that Vista Outdoors sold all their ammo stuff to this company.  Now they are raising prices.  I think Winchester is owned by Fabricae National now out of Belgium.  FN also owns the Winchester and Browning gun manufacturing. 

American companies have been decimated by all the "Free Trade" stuff.  One of the reason most gun and ammo manufacturing as well as powder is now in the south is one, union labor costs, old tooling up north, and bad political environment in the northeast.  Hunting, shotgun sports and shooting, pistol and rifle shooting are not as popular as they once were.  All younger people care about is their phones and computers. 
Opelika Portal

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 04:37:28 AM »
I guess I should have been more clear. I’d be most interested in their components, primers specifically. I do remember reading about them manufacturing a line of primers for reloaders. I know there’re a lot of manufacturers of ammo out there, and couldn’t give a rats ass about artillery shells. I’d appreciate any useful knowledge one might provide.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 05:40:03 AM »
Just read that Sig is planning to start making their own primers but they gave no info on when it might begin or if it even would actually happen. They are becoming a major ammo supplier so if they start making their own primers it would free up a lot for other uses. Plus they might even decide to sell them to reloaders at some point.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TrumpWon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 06:17:17 AM »
Expansion Industries Primers.
Lots of talk about their new facility in 2021 and 2022.

2023 update
https://youtu.be/mmYwdSKd71w?si=vtODsmL83OBzXmLM

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 07:49:43 AM »
 If we can keep the fed's fat fingers out of it, the free market here in the state's and these new company's making components, the price's should drop ''some''. Don't think we'll ever see the day where price's were 10 years ago. But hopefully they come down some!
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 03:12:18 AM »
Thank you Trump, that’s what I was looking for…just not the news I was wanting. Sadly it’s not looking good,