Author Topic: GMRS Transceivers  (Read 275 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
GMRS Transceivers
« on: January 07, 2024, 11:44:04 AM »
Just curious.....Is anyone on the forum into GMRS  or HAM radios for communication if the grid goes down, or we have natural disasters that can play heck with telephone service, other forms of communications and the ability to travel? I just recently joined the GMRS crowd to keep in touch with family and friends if necessary.

My Son just got his General Ham Lic, and a GMRS Lic as well. No test is required for the GMRS Lic. Just pay Uncle (FCC) 35.00 to get your call sign for the entire family. Since Citizen Band has gone to the dogs, it's a great way to have short range communication or even reach farther out using repeaters. A few years ago, we had a power outage caused by a catastrophic winter storm, that left many without power and phones for days and even weeks.  Some in rural areas were even confined to their home because of trees blocking a way out of their communities. These radios could be life saving in those types of situations.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: GMRS Transceivers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 02:43:19 PM »
I have several hand held GMRS radios and a "portable" base station GMRS radio as well. What I've found out is that here in the Sandy River Valley (Oregon) I can't reach 1/4 mile because of the land forms. I expect that it might be useful sometime. I got mine because the local Fire Department Aux. was using the GMRS for communications in case of an emergency.

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 04:06:48 PM »
I have several hand held GMRS radios and a "portable" base station GMRS radio as well. What I've found out is that here in the Sandy River Valley (Oregon) I can't reach 1/4 mile because of the land forms. I expect that it might be useful sometime. I got mine because the local Fire Department Aux. was using the GMRS for communications in case of an emergency.

+1 on the hills. They can block line of sight signals. I live in Sutherlin, Or, and I'm lucky to be on a hill overlooking the valley in three directions. We plan on placing a repeater here to extend the signal. My son lives near you in Estacada and plans on putting a repeater in Estacada. He talks to this area often on the ham bands, and the plan is to find a Ham down here that also runs GMRS. Do you know the tx power of your base radio?

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 04:46:35 PM »
Don't know what TX power is? But I'd guess it's the same as a hand held, because it is a Midland XT511.

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 02:05:23 AM »
I have hand held that can reach about a mile.  Too many hills where I live.  Works ok.  With the new testing of Starlink T-Mobile satellite cell phones coming up, that might be a good thing.  SpaceX is putting up 42,000 satellites for Starlink internet access and they now have teamed with T-Mobile to test cell phones directly using the satellites without needing cell towers.  SpaceX now has aroung 6,000 satellites in orbit to do this.  They launched 96 or 97 rockets last year, and plan to launch 144 this year.  Of course they have reusable rockets to do this with.  They have broke a bunch of launch and rocket landing records.  My SIL has Starlink and loves it.  He said it was much faster with TV and the internet than traditional satellites.  Small pizza box size antenna. 

I say this to say, with a cell phone, you can charge it with a small portable carry size solar cell charger.  Other than an EMP, you can always have connection.  The reason for so many satellites is to have complete global coverage, and if one gets knocked out, another will come along in orbit to take it's place.  This is one of the reasons SpaceX is currently trying to test the biggest rocket ever made.  It can launch over 200 of these satellites at a time.  Their current rocket, the Falcon 9, can only launch 20-50 satellites at a time.  Early Starlinks satellites were smaller thus about 50 at a time.  The new ones are larger with laser communication and are stronger and thus only about 20 at a time on a Falcon 9 rocket. 

Might be worth the wait for a T-Mobile satellite cell phone. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 02:14:11 AM »
That will make it easier to track anyone with a cell phone. The government will like that.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 03:05:05 AM »
Yep, that is probably the downside.  They can get court orders to force companies to track certain people thats for sure.  Even with Short Wave, you have to have a license to broadcast.  Harder to find, but they can triangulate to find you. 
Opelika Portal

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 04:09:49 AM »
Tracking.
track certain people thats for sure.

I suppose so. I do wonder about whether that is a reasonable worry. How many of us are important enough that the gov"t would want to track us? They could track me....why would they? 

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 09:25:46 AM »
Never had anything other than
FRS and citizens band and regular
2 way FM (?) at a couple of jobs
I was studying for no code years
ago, but some something happened
that I don't recollect, the local club
disbanded or something.
Not sure if they even have that
anymore
Several of us used to have CB with
SSB back around the 90's.
I had a Gray 300 on mine, and
the local "pirate " put 1/2 channels
in several of our radios.
I still have a Super Star 200 that
I had in my junker truck with a
Texas Ranger unit
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 09:29:33 AM »
Yep, that is probably the downside.  They can get court orders to force companies to track certain people thats for sure.  Even with Short Wave, you have to have a license to broadcast.  Harder to find, but they can triangulate to find you.

The police nationwide already use telephone tower information to track criminals as to where they've been.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 09:12:22 PM »

Hard to triangulate if in a mobile on the move. As far as a license, none needed in  shtf situations. Even the FCC forgives unauthorized use if it's an emergency when using a ham radio. A few years ago here in southern Oregon, we had a winter storm that stranded people for weeks. The highways were blocked for miles in some areas. Power was off to many for as long as a month. A battery operated GMRS could be used to communicate when everything else was down.