Author Topic: Red sand Maunsel sea forts..  (Read 163 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Red sand Maunsel sea forts..
« on: January 22, 2024, 03:57:20 AM »
  In 1943, at the height of WW2, the Brits built some "sea forts" in the broader thames estuary.  The plan was to protect London from the Luftwaffe
  raids.  Fortunately, the raids were over, by time the sea forts were installed.

It seems like a couple destroyers, anti aircraft equipped, would have been a better choice...with their mobility.

Perhaps they should have listened to Gen Patton, who said..  "Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man."

THe Persian Gulf had numerous abandoned oil drilling platforms when my nephew was serving there wiith our Navy, during the Iran/Iraq war.

It seems some of those Iranian fanatics installed some guns on those platforms..and waited until they figured some of our ships were in range,
   when they fired upon them.

Our Navy gave them warning and waited for them to abandon the platforms..some did..some didn't.  the stubborn ones found their Valhalla !

Below, see the "sea forts"..they still stand today..without crosswalks, etc.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
Re: Red sand Maunsel sea forts..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 05:56:06 AM »
  They may make for some good Fishing
Or Airbnb  :D

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 10:53:09 AM »
  They may make for some good Fishing
Or Airbnb  :D

You know, that Airbnb is not as wild a suggestion as some may think.  electric, water and sewage may be a problem, but people will pay a fair
    amount for the novelty.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline NWBear

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 05:29:32 AM »
They look like the old stilt houses near Miami, Fl.  I imagine the hurricanes have finished those off though…