Author Topic: Alpen Binoculars  (Read 537 times)

Offline Prince of Wales

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Alpen Binoculars
« on: March 23, 2004, 04:56:21 AM »
Does anyone know if the Alpen line is suitable for hunting in wet conditions? Thanks. POW

Offline Prince of Wales

• Contributor
Alpen Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 06:55:06 AM »
Since i have no replies to this post I will revise my question somewhat.
 Having the Nikon 10X42 binos which I now consider fragile but very well suited to glassing from the truck I will seek another pair to use once I am afield. I live in a rather wet climate. Looking for something in an 8 power not too big and not too expensive. But without a doubt the emphisis is on waterproof. Thanks if you have a suggestion that you feel would be suitable to this application. POW

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
Alpen Binoculars
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 10:16:28 AM »
I highly recommend the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 8x42mm ($379 at eagleoptics.com).  The Wind River Olympic is cheaper ($275 at bearbasin.com) and should be good in wet weather.  A little known but excellent binocular is the Celestron Regal LS ($299 at adorama.com).
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Prince of Wales

• Contributor
Alpen Binoculars
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 12:42:47 PM »
Here is what I`m looking at right now. http://www.binoculars.com/detail.asp?PID=17852
 Since I have the Nikons to use in the car I`m looking at something to use after I begin the stalk.  POW

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
Alpen Binoculars
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 06:25:22 PM »
If you are looking at porro prisms around that price I would suggest the Wind River Mesa 8x42mm ($150, excellent binoculars with a view of roofs costing 2.5 times as much), Pentax PCF WP 8x40mm ($130) or Bushnell Legend 8x42mm ($120).  I've seen the Alpen Apex 8x42mm and they are as good as most of the other midrange roofs, but don't know anything about the 570 except I couldn't live with those eyecups.

Offline Prince of Wales

• Contributor
Alpen Binoculars
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 07:01:48 AM »
Jackfish yes those eye cups are rather Dr Spock looking but I can live with that if they will shed water. I`ll just remember to look through them rather that look at them.  Those look like better choices you list. A lot more for only a little more money. Are they known to be weatherproof?Thanks. POW

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
Alpen Binoculars
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 04:26:15 PM »
A friend has the Wind River Mesa 8x42mm binoculars and left them in the bottom of his boat during a downpour last summer.  They were completely submerged for about an hour while he was waiting on shore for it to clear.  None the worse for it.  All of the binoculars I listed are waterproof, purged and nitrogen filled.  That's all I will ever consider since I seem to dump my canoe with some regularity.