Author Topic: New rounds for .22s  (Read 437 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
New rounds for .22s
« on: January 22, 2024, 05:01:12 AM »
  New rounds are being developed for defen sive purposes in .22 LR.  If you are against same, may as well skip this post..

A couple years ago, Federal announced their "Punch" round, a hyper velocity round (in rifle) with a flat nose, and the whole cartridge nickle plated.

Now CCI comes out with their new "uppercut" round, also hyper in rifle, but  both standard speed in handguns. They both look effective, but the uppercut seems to be more effective, since it mushrooms at standard speeds..

...Guess I will try both out in my  alther P22Q..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wTqMIXUBQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9PM5ypJJOg&t=57s
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: New rounds for .22s
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 05:16:42 AM »
been making my own with paco kellys tool for probably 20 years. although i just dont shoot much 22 anymore. it will make flat nose, flat nose hps and regular hollow points
blue lives matter

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 11:00:35 AM »
been making my own with paco kellys tool for probably 20 years. although i just dont shoot much 22 anymore. it will make flat nose, flat nose hps and regular hollow points

Curiously, I made one also.  Did you find any improvement in either accuracy or the flat nose being more destructive?

I also took a couple drill rods the same size,  and ground them to make hollow points in the Paco forms...can't say as I noticed any difference, since
   I didn't try them in gel or any other medium.

Still have the setup, although i haven't used it for years.  May try it 9n something, now that you mention it !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 10:12:48 PM »
seems to me the best killing one was the flat point. as to accuracy? its like working up loads or a centerfire. a gun that shot great with blazers might shoot like crap with them modified and a gun that didnt like blazers might be a tack driver with them modified. always found it stange that people will stick anything in there 22s. buy the cheapest stuff on the shelf. when in fact 22s are more sensitive to different brands of ammo then most centerfires
blue lives matter
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 07:19:48 AM »
. . .as to accuracy? its like working up loads or a centerfire. a gun that shot great with blazers might shoot like crap with them modified and a gun that didnt like blazers might be a tack driver with them modified. always found it stange that people will stick anything in there 22s. buy the cheapest stuff on the shelf. when in fact 22s are more sensitive to different brands of ammo then most centerfires

^ ^ ^ ^

Every firearm is like that ^ ^
I've had buckshot and slugs and birdshot
that shot terrible in my firearms that were
golden in other people's firearms,  and
vice versa etc.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 10:52:06 AM »
  Yes...guns can be picky..the rounds one gun shoots like a tack driver, may be a total reject for another gun...sometimes even in the same make & model.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 02:19:46 AM »
i spent years trying to find an accurate 7mag. one day i went into a buddys gunshop and he had 2 ruger hawkeyes with consecutive serial numbers. i bought one and called a friend and he bought the other. his gun shot great. mine? well ill say it went back to the gun shop on a trade for something else. two guns made right in a row and shot completely different. i ended up finally finding my 7 mag. after 5 different rugers, one post 64 win and a 700 cdl i bought a weatherby vanguard and i think i could fill a case with sand and seat a bullet in it and could get a moa group
blue lives matter

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 02:35:28 AM »
i spent years trying to find an accurate 7mag. one day i went into a buddys gunshop and he had 2 ruger hawkeyes with consecutive serial numbers. i bought one and called a friend and he bought the other. his gun shot great. mine? well ill say it went back to the gun shop on a trade for something else. two guns made right in a row and shot completely different. i ended up finally finding my 7 mag. after 5 different rugers, one post 64 win and a 700 cdl i bought a weatherby vanguard and i think i could fill a case with sand and seat a bullet in it and could get a moa group

That is remarkable, but it often happens..