Author Topic: Billiard Balls for Projectiles and other ?s  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Pogue

• Trade Count: (0)
Billiard Balls for Projectiles and other ?s
« on: March 30, 2004, 05:40:19 AM »
I still haven't found a standard can to fill with concrete for my new 2 5/16" mortar discussed a few topics earlier.  But I did discover (don't ask how!) that a billiard ball fits perfectly.  Has anyone ever tried using those as projectiles?  They're relatively cheap, but would they withstand the pressure?  I can't imagine them being any less sturdy than concrete, but maybe I'm wrong.  I will probably be having to use full charges (2oz BP) since the chamber on my mortar is full size.

Which brings me to another question on how to produce reduced charges.  Being a longtime BP cartridge loader, we often use a filler such as corn meal or Cream of Wheat to fill up a reduced load cartridge.  Will that work for cannons, too?

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
reduced charges
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 02:14:37 PM »
I will presume you are asking about reduced charges in your mortar rather than a cannon.  My 1 3/4" bore Coehorn replica has a 1" x 1 3/4" subchamber for the powder.  Not sure just what the actual powder capacity would be, but I have been making up 60, 75 and 90 grain FFg powder cartridges for it.  There is a separate post on this board concerning making up aluminum foil wrapped cannon powder cartridges.  Easy enough to adapt that method and add enough cornmeal to the cartridge to fill the powder subchamber.  So far they have been working very well indeed.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 01:06:44 AM »
I am familiar with an Officer class placing a whole set of billiard balls into the 105mm mountain howitzer that was used to fire (blanks) the salute when the flag was raised every morning at Ft. Devens, MA.

They worked well, most traversing the whole parade field.  Don't remember how many windows in parked cars and nearby buildings it took out but a collection was taken from the offending class.

Obviously the SOP was changed to require the Sergeant of the Guard to personally check that the bore was clear prior to raising the flag.

I guess they wanted to try something more dramatic than the usual two rolls of toilet paper stuffed down the tube.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 04:27:42 AM »
There isn't an air space issue in muzzle loading cannon. The projectiles are not bore tight as in muzzle loading/blackpowder cartridge rifles  and are seated up against the charge when loading, no matter the size of charge.

When fired cannon shells are not bumped up to seal the bores like in rifles. The powder only has to overcome inertia and not friction.  In fact cannon projectiles are supposed to have windage, and be able to slide the length of the bore by gravity alone.  If you review the safety rules posted at the top of this forum from the Artillery Association and N-SSA you will see they are adamant on this point.

In the Mortar, the chamber is the barrel also. The portion holding the projectile is nothing more than an expansion chamber.  A reduced charge might leave an air space between charge an ball.  I have neve been concerned with this as the front of the cartridge is built up from the folded excess tin foil and fills the chamber.

With windage the expanding gases can blow by the projectile, both in the mortar and cannon.

Corn meal should work if you are concerned about airspace.  

While we are on the subject.  I asked last week when I was at Winchester picking up powder, why cannon balls were not patched for accuracy.

The answer was Safety.  

If you look at the safety rules you will see a step called "thumb the Vent.  This is done during the loading process.

The vent is covered with the thumb so  no air can rush out. If there  was a smouldering ember still in the barrel when you rammed home the charge it could flare up from the draft of escaping air igniting the charge prematurely.  This could be disastrous if the charge or projectile was part way down the barrel.  The loader or other persons working the gun could be injured.

Of course it would virtually impossible to seat a patched projectile with a sealed vent.   The windage being just a space around the projectile for the air being compressed to escape.

Offline Pogue

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 08:26:10 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'd missed the safety section of this forum completely.  

Obivously one of the first things I need to get my mind right on is that cannon/mortars are not like the patched round ball rifles I've been shooting since I was 15...

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 08:34:22 AM »
Kinda like moving from reloading smokeless powder to black powder cartridges, it's a whole"nother world!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 02:10:47 PM »
Quote from: Double D

Of course it would virtually impossible to seat a patched projectile with a sealed vent.   The windage being just a space around the projectile for the air being compressed to escape.

You're right.  I used to patch (with a thin, damp piec of kim-wipe) the beer cans in my first mortar for a smooth sliding tight fit.  If you didn't hold something over the touch hole it would blow half the powder through it when inserting the can.  Going to cement (heavier) filled cans provided much the same effect that I needed - for better ignition.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)