Author Topic: BSA Scopes  (Read 1633 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
BSA Scopes
« on: March 24, 2004, 02:35:33 AM »
Anyone have a  BSA Scope?  How good are they? I am interested in getting another scope and funds are getting low so I am searching. I see they are made in China (uugh!) but if I remember someone on the old forum said they were working for him. A big interest to me on a low end scope is the garuntee/warentee. Has anyone here ever had to send one back for service or repair? Did they give you any trouble over the repair? How much did it cost you, how good was the garentee, how long did the service take, and would you by one again??? Thanks for your help....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
BSA Scopes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 03:08:17 AM »
MSP Ret I have 3 or 4 BSA 4x32 from Walmart there like 24.95. They seem to be pretty good. They are clear and bright. I have them on both my 357 maximums and one I plan on putting on my Hornet when I get a mount for it. I do not think they would hold up to a lot of recoil but then again they were only 24.95 The higher priced BSA may hold up just fine. For the price they can not be beat for rimfire work or mild cartidges. I have never had a problem yet so can not tell you about the warr service. I really do not plan on spending any more for their higher priced stuff and for 24.95 if one goes bad I'll replace it rather than spend 10.00 UPS to send it back. Just my 2 cents

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
BSA Scopes
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 03:15:34 AM »
BBF - Didn't someone post on the old forum about using one of those on his Huntsman? If I remember he sadi something about 90-100 shots and was still holding zero. Pretty good for a $25 scope. I'm with you, cheap and easily replacable. My Classic would get replaced with one of the Bushnell 4 power $69.95 if anything ever happened to it. Unless you are shooting an expensive rifle, long ranges, or for cometition why have an expensive scope? Most shots are between 50 and 150 yds. anyway.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline jeff223

BSA Scopes
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 03:17:12 AM »
i have a BSA Contender target scope,8-32 power.i dont use it now because i have replaced it with a better one.i did send it in once for warranty and they replaced it with no problem.they do in fact have a life time warranty.i will say one thing about BSA scopes but it is a four letter word "JUNK"stay away from them.save your money for a little better one.there are some good lower end Bushnell and Simmoms scopes that are very good.in fact the Simmons Whitetail Expaditions are on close out from some of the mail order houses for around $125.00.

if you would like to still try a BSA i will sell you mine for 50 grean backs.but if i were you i would go with something else

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
BSA Scopes
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 03:18:01 AM »
Oh yea....MSP the Calssic I purchased had been on a .308 with no problems. I guess it can handle a little recoil.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
BSA Scopes
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 03:23:54 AM »
jeff223 I think it a big mistake to buy a high power cheap scope because the quality just is not there. How ever the low power scopes do not seem to be much bother. Any time you increase magnification you got to have quality.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
BSA Scopes
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 03:27:05 AM »
I don't own one personally, but I know have shooting partners who have used them.  

The single most important thing a scope must do is hold it's zero throughout it's magnification range, and these scopes don't seem to do that very well.

I guess there are good ones and bad ones in any line of scopes.  But I've heard and seen plenty of bad ones in the BSA line.  I'd save some money up and try to get something of a little higher quality.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline jeff223

BSA Scopes
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 03:28:10 AM »
you got that right BIGBOREFAN.live and learn

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
BSA Scopes
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 03:28:17 AM »
Thanks Guys, I was looking at a deal on the SWFA "sample list", 2 BSA Catseye scopes for $119.95. A 3.5-10X50 and a 3-10x44. SWFA says they list for about $475.00 combined new if I remember correctly. I looked them up on the BSA website they had them as about $320.00-$360.00 combined new as I remember. I guess I was just looking at 2 scopes for the price of one but the "China" thing put me off....If anyone out there is interested they are still there....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
BSA Scopes
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 03:35:52 AM »
The moderator mentions a problem I've seen on my own BSA and on those of friends. They don't come back to the same sight setting. I now have mine on a recoiless air gun which is always shot at the same distance but that's ALL it's good for.

Offline Leftoverdj

BSA Scopes
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 03:56:19 AM »
That may have been me that was referred to. I have a BSA 2.5x shotgun scope on a .45-70 with at least 100 rounds through it and holding. My view is that if you must buy a cheap scope, get a fixed power. Variables are much more delicate and much more prone to problems in holding zero.

Most scopes are being made in China these days, even the big name high dollar ones. (They just hide it a little better.) I have been very pleased with Swifts. They have brighter, clearer optics than any of the other cheap scopes and can be had for under $100 dollars. The fixed 4x and 6x run about $80 and are all I can ask for
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
BSA Scopes
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 10:27:18 AM »
I must agree with the majority here......I own 2 Contenders on the word of a shooting pal,,,and I wish now I 'd researched them more,,,they're not the worst junk by any means but they leave a lot to be desired at the higher powers. My 3-12x40 on my 22 mag hasn't really been tested much over 100 yds and it shoots good groups at low to mid power,,the thing is at higher power it gets unclear (fuzzy) so I don't use it over 8 or 9 power.
My 4-16x50 on my 243 is clear up to 12 power then gets fuzzy after that. If I was to do it again,,,and I may,,the Elite series Bushnells are getting some great reports and I own a pair of Swift binoculars that are real nice so I could go that direction also.
You get what you pay for......I've seen it many times before and it's true. I'm just getting back into shooting and hunting after many years away from it,,and I never knew there was websites like this and others before I made my gun/optic purchases. So I listened to a pal cause that's what he owns,,,,and now I'm finding out what great info there is online.

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
BSA Scopes
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 12:02:12 PM »
I think the term " you get what you pay for " applies to just about everything you can buy in the firearm and hunting industry, you have to pay for quality, consistency and durability. I do have a BSA mounted on my Huntsman, it a 3-9X40 with a lighted reticle. I bought it because I have noticed during muzzleloading season the deer didn't start moving until the last minutes of light, tough to see your cross hairs on a deer when light is very limited, I think I've put over a 100 rounds through it and the scope hasn't failed yet, I think I got my $50.00 worth out of it. :-)

Offline JPH45

BSA Scopes
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 12:42:29 PM »
I have three of the BSA 4x $25.00 Wally World specials, one each on my Maximum, 44 Mag, and 45-70. I have not had a moments trouble with either of them, even when shifting the POI around for different loads. They strike me as being every bit as good as anyone elses cheap scopes, and I see no reason to spend $60 -$100 on a cheap scope when I can get the same performace for $25. A cheap scope is a cheap scope, doesn't matter whose it is. These days, unless you are using mid to top of line Swift, Leupold, Baush & Laumb or such names, you are buying a cheap scope. I think the biggest problem for all of us and our scopes is that there is no real way to compare one to another in a store. I worked in a huge gun shop in the early ninties, (Franklin Sports, Athens, Ga) I think more scopes are sold because of name brand or price than any other factor. Getting a scope ain't like picking up a rifle off the used rack and giving it a good once over.  What can you really tell about a scope looking through it under florescent lights????? And what does that tell you about how good a product that scope actually is????

If I were paying for a big hunt and had $5,000 dollars or more tied up in it, you bet I would pay to have the best scope I could afford on my rig. To go out and pole holes in paper and shoot deer I could hit with a rock just how much difference can a $200 scope make????

I remember when "Made in Japan" meant "turns to s**t" Not today. And the international manufacturing and standards are light years beyond those days. The single best rifles I have shot in the last 15 years are made for Browning in Japan. Those are, across the product line, the most accuracte and repeatable rifles I have ever experienced. The worst cheap manufacturing I am seeing these days comes right out of the good 'ol US of A :(  :(  :(
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline bull b 25-06

BSA Scopes
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 03:32:28 PM »
WHAT TYPE OF CHEAP MANUFACTURING ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
BSA Scopes
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 04:07:29 PM »
Thanks JPH, I've been looking at those same scopes and wondering about them myself. Thanks for the info, wonder how one of those would hold up on a 12 ga. smoothbore slug gun? If it handles the 45-70 ok then it should handle the 12 ga. huh?
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
BSA Scopes
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2004, 04:58:11 AM »
I think he was referring to me DJ. :D

Another thing I have noticed about BSA's is that they come with all kinds of bells and whistles at the sacrifice of good glass.  I have hunted coyotes with a friend that has a BSA on his .243.  At last light, I can see coyotes hanging up at 400 yards with my Springfield and he can't see them at all through his BSA.  

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with bells and whistles.  My Springfield has just about every bell and whistle you can think of.  But it's also got good fully multicoated optics.  

If you are going to shoot at paper during midday, I agree with JPH.  Get a fixed power scope and you'll probably be ok.  If you are going to hunt anything with it at all, save your duckies and get a better scope.

Remember, these statements are made based on my experiences with these scopes.  This experience is admittedly limited, so take 'em for what they're worth 8)
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline JPH45

BSA Scopes
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2004, 02:47:41 PM »
Lik2Hunt,  The loads that DJ and I are shooting are handloads with cast boolits weighing 325-405 grains at velocities not exceeding 1400 fps, 1200 being more like the norm. I would NOT compare the recoil of these loads to that of a 12 guage shooting factory slugs. A 1 1/4 ounce slug weighs a bit over 500 grains, (437 grains to the ounce, 1 1/4 ounces = 546 grains) and most factory slug loads are pushing 1600 fps. That is more like blackpowder 45-90 or 45-110 loads, or MAX 45-70 smokeless loads. I haven't tried my scoped 45-70 with factory 300 JHP's, a closer relative to the recoil generated by 12 guage slugs, and I won't, there is not enough eye relief on the $25 dollar special. I have in past been whacked by 45-70's and 12 guages wearing short eye relief scopes and the experience is down right unpleasent and undesireable. BSA makes a nice shotgun scope I hear, and that is where I would start for a scope with a 12 guage. There are several nice ghost ring sights available for shotguns, and you might want to look into one of those as well. I sometimes feel ridiculous sneaking along the edges of briar brambles with a scoped rifle, knowing that most of what I might see will be plainly obvious to the naked eye. Alas, my eyes are not what they once were, and these days I welcome any visual help I can get when trying my slinking skills against the nose of a whitetail.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc