Author Topic: THIS IS HOW SO CALLED FACTS ARE PRESENTED TO US TODAY!  (Read 588 times)

Online nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
THIS IS HOW SO CALLED FACTS ARE PRESENTED TO US TODAY!
« on: February 07, 2024, 02:28:09 PM »
The headline of this article say's these are the greatest guitarists of all time.
There is NO such animal. The caption should have read..........The greatest ROCK guitarists of all time. (And even this is debatable.

This from an article by Adam E that I saw on Playjunkie.
Who declared him the all knowing guru of guitar players? (Rock) players) to be exact.
I would guess he likes Rock music. Especially Hard Rock. I doubt if he even knows the name of a guitarist from another form of music. Like classical guitar great Andrés Segovia, Julian Bream or a host of others. And how about great country guitarists like Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell Louie Shelton or a bunch of others. There is no such thing as the greatest guitarist ever.
But there are many Great ones. And some who have yet to be discovered

https://playjunkie.com/these-are-the-best-guitarists-of-sh-ext/?utm_source=taboola-sh&utm_campaign=sh-us-d-plj-gotaren-2401-a1-c129&utm_medium=tb33376518_782&utm_term=businessinsider#48
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: THIS IS HOW SO CALLED FACTS ARE PRESENTED TO US TODAY!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 02:49:19 PM »
The headline of this article say's these are the greatest guitarists of all time.
There is NO such animal. The caption should have read..........The greatest ROCK guitarists of all time. (And even this is debatable.

This from an article by Adam E that I saw on Playjunkie.
Who declared him the all knowing guru of guitar players? (Rock) players) to be exact.
I would guess he likes Rock music. Especially Hard Rock. I doubt if he even knows the name of a guitarist from another form of music. Like classical guitar great Andrés Segovia, Julian Bream or a host of others. And how about great country guitarists like Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell Louie Shelton or a bunch of others. There is no such thing as the greatest guitarist ever.
But there are many Great ones. And some who have yet to be discovered

https://playjunkie.com/these-are-the-best-guitarists-of-sh-ext/?utm_source=taboola-sh&utm_campaign=sh-us-d-plj-gotaren-2401-a1-c129&utm_medium=tb33376518_782&utm_term=businessinsider#48

If you will take the exclamation mark ! from infront of your https like I did, your link will work.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 11:25:18 AM »
It was refreshing to read the posts above. Too often the internet/youtube allows less than expert “critics” to expound on their preferences with little or no knowledge of alternatives.
There is an entire class of videos on youtube…..reaction videos…..wherein the listener plays a piece of music that they have never heard before, usually a song, and reacts to it. I find myself saying….how could you live in the modern world, profess to like music, and NOT have heard about a particular musician?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 11:44:50 AM »
    While I am surely, no music epicurean...the field of "best guitarist" is would seem, is far to broad  to cover with one type of music.

Some would claim that this group is in the top collection;

https://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+greatest+country+music+guitarists&sca_esv=81f9eb45eed7dfed&sxsrf=ACQVn0-hX95Nihi2TSy2ZK4Aoshy7cTyww%3A1707690716669&so

..But then again, I'm sure some Spanish flamenco players would dispute their claim as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jWsoQ8W8g

Then there is this..Pretty good for a girl..huh? ....     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5niviXZhok
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 01:11:03 PM »
He is dam good, but I likes my classical geetarists to look more like this.   Charo   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R31wu_FBfqU
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline moamonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 04:05:58 PM »
Good by what criteria? That is to say; a great jazz guitarist may play in ways no classical guitarist could manage. And vice versa. Same with other styles. And even within those same styles, methods can be variously different. So, who can actually say who’s ‘best’? Now, your favorite? Absolutely.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 03:01:35 AM »
Good by what criteria? That is to say; a great jazz guitarist may play in ways no classical guitarist could manage. And vice versa. Same with other styles. And even within those same styles, methods can be variously different. So, who can actually say who’s ‘best’? Now, your favorite? Absolutely.

As Festus Hagen would say... PERZACTLY !!  So how does one pick the best of all time ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 01:58:48 AM »
So how does one pick the best of all time ?
One qualifies the pick. Instead of writing “the best guitarist of all time is….”, one qualifies guitarist…..the “best heavy metal guitarist is Yngwie Malmsteen “ (or whoever) and so on.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 02:22:18 AM »
So how does one pick the best of all time ?
One qualifies the pick. Instead of writing “the best guitarist of time is….”, one qualifies guitarist…..the “best heavy metal guitarist is Yngwie Malmsteen “ (or whoever) and so on.

Yes..should place in context !

My grandson has a band that plays around Kansas city, MO..  Not being musically inclined, I don't know or expect he is any of the "great" ones..or
   even a "good" one, but I know folks enjoy the band and seem to draw pleasure from it.

Grandson is the big, bearded guy...who still wears his Marine Sergeant stripes on his right shoulder... just a momento of places like Fallujah,
   Ramadi, IEDs, the "surge" and "firefights"..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puA2bE1mnW4

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 05:43:55 AM »
When I worked in Tulsa, a coworker was talkin about a guitarist there that could play two songs at one time that sounded like two people playing.  I did not get to hear him myself.