Author Topic: Why Dan Wesson Revolvers?  (Read 11662 times)

Offline dougk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Why Dan Wesson Revolvers?
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
Why do you own a/several Dan Wesson revolvers?

Doug

Online gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Why Dan Wesson Revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 04:17:16 AM »
They were the most accurate revolver I could find. I liked the idea of the interchangable barrels, and grips. Before getting into IHMSA shooting, I use to shoot gallon milk jugs of water at 50-100yds for fun. Tried several single action style revolvers,(Virginia Dragoon, and Ruger's) and just couldn't quite get the feel for the grip style. Dbl. action grips just always felt better to me. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Missionary5155

• Ex-treadhead 2wheeler Bible Believer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
Greetings     +1 on The most accurate revolver ever built for the money.  Stronger as a tank and far more reliable.  Dan Wesson revolvers have won more silly wet matches than any other. If you know the game it takes power + accuracy to win.  I knew 2 fellers who each year bought 10 44 mag Rugers,  shoot them all & kept the 2 most accurate for that years matches.  Me I bought one 41 mag DW and still have it.  Still the most accurate revolver I own.  Still handles full mag loads as accurately as in 1982. 
Then we could talk about the removable barrel and tension nuts and be here hour.
Get one while you can.   Get each caliber if you can.  And do not overlook a Supermag.. I have the .357, .375 and a .414 ... Those are really nice tools to hunt with.   
Mike in Peru
Looking for answers... try the Bible.  John 5:39

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 06:42:24 AM »
I only have one, a 357.  When I gripped it and felt the double action I was hooked.  When I fired it I was double hooked.  Makes me wonder why I waited till I was an old man to try one.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline crossfire

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »
I was one of those who bought a Ruger Maximum Blackhawk and was stupid enough to let my dealer send it back to the factory. When it didn't come back, I ended up with a Dan Wesson M40-8V. The sights were better than the Ruger, the finish was better than the Ruger, it was more comfortable to shoot than the Ruger and much more accurate than the Ruger. That original M40 is long gone, as is the one that replaced it. They were sold out of necessity, not because of problems with the cartridge or the weapon. I have #3 now.
It's a shame the bad publicity generated by the Ruger over the .357 Maximum killed the M40. These revolvers not only dominated silhouette, they deserve consideration as one of the finest whitetail harvesters ever made.

Offline Missionary5155

• Ex-treadhead 2wheeler Bible Believer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:55:28 AM »
Good morning
+1 on the DW M40īs.  I have had 8" for some time now & have no plans on turning it loose. Not that a corn cruncher really needs to get thumped by one, I lean more to the 414 SM but then I am .410 orientated. 
Mike in Peru
Looking for answers... try the Bible.  John 5:39

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:47:33 AM »
I have a 740 with 4,6,8 inch barrels. and a 445 both are excellent shooters with great factory triggers.

Offline 35ISIT

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »
They are simply the best for the money. I have a 740 .357 supermag and single action 10" .22. Wish I had many more. Don't shoot them as much as I would like. I can't see the iron sights.
Ky State Director IHMSA
Hunter Education Instructor
6/27/2010 80X80
Life Member NRA

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 04:42:11 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lost Oki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »
Just read thru all the replies and agree with GB, lets bring this one back up
Why Dan Wesson Revolvers?.  I have owned 2, my first back in the late 80's and let it get away.  My 2nd I picked up from a friend, its 357 mag, stainless, 6" barrel.  I have owned Rugers, SW, Taurus, and have yet to find any of them as accurate or as tough.  I also have a 357 mag Marlin Lever and run same loads in both.  I have hopes in finding a 41mag DW for a decent price. 
Yes, parts are hard to find, yes it tough to find a gun smith to work on them but its still worth it.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 02:11:56 AM »
I've handled and shot two or three over the years, but never owned one. I'm really a Smith guy anyway.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline oldandslow2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 03:13:46 AM »
I will bring it back to life again. I owned a Smith 14 and bought a DW 15-2. After awhile I traded the Smith for a Model 19 and kept the DW because it was more accurate than the 14 with 38 special loads. It's more accurate than the 19 but the 19 is smaller and is more handy for some things the than the 8" DW. I wish the DW revolvers would come back as I would love to have one in 22 LR. When I go into a gunshop I always look in the used handgun display for one but have never found one.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 03:57:38 AM »
  Back in the day, I bought a few but never could get to like them, like I did my Smiths.

At the time, I was shooting NRA silhouette matches and the actions of the Smiths are just so much better, and I got better accuracy out of my Smiths too.

I still think I made the right decision, sending the DW's down the road for someone else to enjoy!

DM

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 04:36:54 AM »
I agree. I had a pistol pack back when they first came out. they were good shooters no doubt but couldnt match the old smiths when it came to smooth DA triggers. I never warmed up to the looks of them either. Buddy had to have it and had something i wanted worse so down the road it went. He didnt hold on to it long either. Give me an old k frame over one any day. Ill add this though. He bought a dw 1911 a few years ago and its a beauty. Accurate, good looking and well fit.
  Back in the day, I bought a few but never could get to like them, like I did my Smiths.

At the time, I was shooting NRA silhouette matches and the actions of the Smiths are just so much better, and I got better accuracy out of my Smiths too.

I still think I made the right decision, sending the DW's down the road for someone else to enjoy!

DM
blue lives matter

Online gypsyman

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 09:40:51 AM »
Wish I still had all my DW's. Went thru a divorce and had to sell a few guns off. Now I look at the price's, wow, sold mine to cheap. From a couple of shooters I talked to over the past couple years, the DW's revolvers that CZ made were overpriced and not as accurate. And could not figure out why they put the DW name on 1911's. And for what they charged for them, same as a Kimber, enough company's making 1911's now, if I want a match grade 1911, will buy a used Remington or Auto-Ord. and have them tricked out by a good gun smith.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman