Author Topic: crazy sighting in proceedures? what's the reason behind them  (Read 553 times)

Offline willysjeep134

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Over the past few years I've heard some pretty crazy advice for sighting in my rile for deer hunting. I hunt mostly over a bait pile at about 50 yards, so why would I sight in my rifle 3 inches high at 75 or some such crazy thing? I figure I sight in my rifle dead on at fifty and see where it shoots at 100 and 25, just in case.

I never really got the "2 inches high at 100" idea either. Why not dead on at 100 and know where to compensate? It just doesn't seem to make sense to me why you would intentionally sight your rifle in so it didn't hit point of aim at a given distance. Besides, with most modern rifles the bullet doesn't drop too much from 50 to 100, or even out to 200 in many cases, I'm talking less than a foot here, so why does it matter so much for practical hunting applications?
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline hillbill

deer rifle sighting procedure
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 04:19:51 PM »
willy most us hillbillys here sight in ded at 100 yrds. any decent rifle will shoot close enuff from 30 to 200 with that sight setting. but i like to shoot my rifle at different ranges and make sure i know what its dooing. high or low mounted scopes can tend to be funny at different ranges. never hurts to be sure whats goin on with yur rifle. happy huntin!

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
crazy sighting in proceedures? what's the r
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 04:41:05 PM »
That's probably the thing, I mostly shoot with open sights. I suppose a scope on high rings would make things a mite bit diferent as to point of impact versus point of aim at long ranges.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.