Author Topic: Where can I find the best prices on these scopes?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Where can I find the best prices on these scopes?
« on: March 22, 2004, 10:36:09 AM »
Hello All,

I've been researching scopes and I've got my field narrowed down to 3.
Bushnell 4200, 1.5-6x36
Leupold VXIII 1.75-6x32
Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36

Now I'm searching for the best prices.  I've never had a "quality" scope, so as you can guess I've never paid very much for a scope.  Money is tight, so I've got to study on this quite a while.  I want to get the best price I can.  

I've looked at www.theopticzone.com and www.riflescopes.com.  There prices are pretty much equal.  Does anyone know if they are willing to come down on their prices if you call, or are the net prices the set prices?

I appreciate any pointers to other dealers that have competive prices as well.

Thanks for any info and take care,
JCM

Offline jackfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Where can I find the best prices on these s
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 10:42:51 AM »
Check with http://www.dnrsports.net as well.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline getom59

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 12:19:13 PM »
JCM:

Check out http://www.natchezss.com/.  Natchez had the best price on the Bushnell Banner 4-12 X40 AO that I just purchased.  Also, they're real good to work with.  When I received my new scope there was some grease or something on the objective lens so I called up Natchez.  They said to send it back and they would replace it and cover the cost of shipping it back.  I eventually ended up cleaning the thing myself and keeping it but it was good to know that Natchez would take care of its customers when things like that happen.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 12:41:31 PM »
There is also SWFA (sample list).

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 02:38:57 PM »
JCM, theres no need in trying Natchez. They will not sell direct to residents of Tenn., Ga. or Al.
My next scope will come from The Optic Zone.  As you said the prices are competitive but thats not my only reason. It's been over a year since I bought a new scope, it was bought from another site sponsor, and it was backordered for several months due in part to the dock workers strike on the west coast at that time. When I posted a question here as to the delay Jon at The Optic Zone told me what the problem was (He said he could not get that scope at that time either) and even went out of his way in the next couple of months to keep me informed even though I had not ordered from him. I told him then that my next scope would be from him. That order will be placed just as soon as I receive the rifle I have being worked on now. I am not knocking any of the other site sponsors. The ones I have ordered from have been good and I have heard good things from several of the others including SWFA. Which ever one you choose try to make one of the people that help keep Graybeard Outdoors on line.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 03:12:00 AM »
Another site to check is www.bearbasin.com.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 04:37:41 AM »
Our Prices on Leupold are set.  Really it boils down to customer service.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline BUSTER51

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 08:57:49 AM »
JON AT TE OPTIC ZONE IS THE WAY TO GO ,HE WILL TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU B4 AND AFTER THE SALE ,AND HIS PRICES ARE AS GOOD AS IT GETS .

Offline jmeadows

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 01:02:39 PM »
I think the price fixing with LEUPOLD is a freekin joke,really pisses me off a bit, not because i want one,i sold the one i had because i was unimpressed,only reason i bought it in the first place was all the leupold hype BS we hear.Any way im through bitching ,they can keep em i'll save for a nightforce has better resale than leupold anyway...

Offline brramer

bear basin
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 01:49:17 PM »
Bear Basin was running an ad on their web site a week ago claiming to beat any advertised price.  I called them on Saturday and asked how much they would beat DNR' Sports prices.  DNR Sports is quite a bit cheaper than Bear Basin.  I got a song and a dance from Bear Basin and on Monday they removed the parts of their ads claiming to beat everyone elses price.  They should have honored my call instead of playing hide and seek with me.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 02:05:27 PM »
I would check Ebay also. I recently picked up a nearly brand-new Bushnell Elite 3200 that someone mounted and then decided on a different scope. Couldn't tell it from brand new. Got flip-up covers and stainless Ruger mounts in the deal also, all for $132. List retail is about $200 for the scope alone. Light transmission is great, and I improved my groups by about a 1/4" first trip to the range with it.

Second scope is a Burris Fullfield II I just bought and haven't recieved yet, but same situation. Mounted on rifle for what's claimed to be 20 shots, supposed to have one tiny scratch. Went for $137 when retail list is about $200. We'll see how it works out, but I have a 3-day inspection period in case it doesn't.

I had to wait a few days to a week to find the right deal; alot more went in the $160-$200 range, but most were also NIB. It's worth a look, anyway. Whatever you get, hope it leads to many happy days of hunting/shooting! 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline skoutfitter

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 03:25:56 PM »
Stick with Jon @ the Optic Zone.  Prices are right and he will take care of you.  I have purchased a few scopes from him and he has taken time to answer my questions and also to talk hunting with.   :D  :D
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 07:56:52 AM »
Go with the sponsors...They keep this site rolling and have great customer service.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Zachary

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 12:04:30 PM »
I have purchases several scopes from both Jon at the Optic Zone and Chris at SWFA.  

I have been very pleased with both of them, although, for whatever reason, it seems that I have been buying a bit more scopes from the optic zone (probably because Jon has a new baby and I wanted to help him out a bit more :grin: )

Still, I only buy from the optic zone and SWFA.  I would never consider buying from any other sellers.

Zachary

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 09:28:33 AM »
Thanks for all of the input guys.  It is greatly appreciated.  Still considering.....

Any outstanding positive's or negative's on the listed scopes (or comparable scopes you'd recommend) are more than welcome.

Thanks again,
JCM

Offline Zachary

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 01:42:22 PM »
Elite 4200, especially for the money.

The New VXIII are supposedly better than the old Vari-X IIIs.  I don't personally know since I have not used these yet.

However, I have used many different Elite 3200 and 4200s, and the one you mentioned is a winner!

The only thing that you may also want to consider is weight and eye relief.  If you absolutely need a scope that is light and has longer eye relief, then the VXIII is it.  Still the difference in eye relief and weight is not that significant between the Elite 4200 and the VXIII.

Zachary

Offline Gregory

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2004, 04:19:19 AM »
Graf's has a 2.5-8X VXlll for $334

http://grafs.com/closeout03.pdf

That's $65 less than the optic zone
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2004, 11:08:45 AM »
Greg,

That is the close out models of 2003's.  We actually sold out of ours in less than a month when we had them at close out prices.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!