Author Topic: Most Effective Treatments for Mosquito Bites  (Read 324 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Most Effective Treatments for Mosquito Bites
« on: July 06, 2024, 09:48:33 AM »
https://www.newsmax.com/health/health-news/mosquito-bites-itch-relief/2024/07/05/id/1171357/

By Lynn C. Allison    |   Friday, 05 July 2024 08:43 AM EDT

Enjoying warm summer nights outside watching fireworks or toasting marshmallows over a fire can be spoiled by pesky mosquitoes. Waking up to itchy, painful mosquito bites is not fun. The most common form of allergic reaction, mosquito bites can cause painful itching, redness and swelling that can last up to 10 days.

When planning your next summer outing, make sure to bring along an effective mosquito repellent and stock up on the best products to offer bug bite relief.

According to Health, the best bite relief products contain ingredients that numb the area to stop itching, with hydrocortisone to reduce inflammation, antihistamines to reduce swelling, swelling and itchiness, and skin protectants. Here are top picks of leading dermatologists:

• Sprays. These are usually the best bet for most people as they are easy to use and often provide cooling relief. Try Benadryl’s Extra Strength Itch Cooling Spray.

• Creams, ointments, and balms. Gold Bond Medicated Maximum Strength Pain & Itch Cream and Badger’s Itch Relief Stick are recommended by experts because they are effective and can better target the bite than sprays. They are, however, messier to use.

• Patches. The Magic Patch Itch Relief Patches are an alternative to targeted therapy that also travel well.

Dermatologist Dr. Megan Rogge recommends looking for these ingredients when buying bug relief products:

• Camphor and menthol. These topical analgesics help cool the skin.

• Lidocaine and pramoxine. To help dull the sensation of itch and pain, look for these painkillers.

• Hydrocortisone. Use this topical corticosteroid to decrease inflammation that can cause redness, swelling and itching.

• Diphenhydramine. This ingredient, found in Benadryl, is both an antihistamine and an analgesic to reduce swelling, redness and itching.

• Zinc oxide. According to the Cleveland Clinic, this over-the-counter medicine, found in Calamine lotion, helps treat itchiness, pain and discomfort from bug bites, as well as chicken pox and poison ivy. You should only use this preparation topically.

• Essential oils.  Basil is an excellent anti-inflammatory oil that is great for all kinds of bug bites, including bee stings, says Healthline. Lavender is another popular favorite that can be directly applied to bites. Mint oil, when diluted with a carrier oil, can provide cooling pain relief and even prevent further bites. Tea tree oil is renowned for its healing properties and ability to prevent infections.

Lynn C. Allison ✉

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Most Effective Treatments for Mosquito Bites
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 10:34:35 AM »
If we're talking already bitten and
itchy, I'll wash off with soap and water
and if it doesn't subside, a small dab
of Watkins Salve will take it away
pretty quickly. Same for briar scratches
and such. Skeeters don't bother me as
much as fire ants. Fire ants will make
a big red bump and eventually a
blister on me. I haven't discovered a
quick fix for that yet. I grit my teeth
and douse it with rubbing alcohol
and rub it in hard. There's usually
a half dozen + bites to contend
with close together. Bee stings don't
seem to bother me as bad as they
used to. I still use the old family
thing of some bleach on a cotton
ball pressed to the sting ASAP.
My mother was allergic, and I
had to take her to the medics
for a shot(s) several times.
Diphenhydramine (and maybe
cortisone as well)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 01:36:25 PM »
I can be sitting outside by other people and the mosquitos won't be bothering them, but I'll be getting ate alive. Best bet is to put something on before you get bit. Which I do If I'm going to be outside at dusk.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 04:38:19 PM »
Mosquitoes love me. They will fly miles to find me.

The bad thing is when they get me it looks like the photo. A mosquito bite swells up on me as much as a wasp or yellow jacket sting and more than a fire ant does. What works best for me on any of them is a product called After Bite. It smells like ammonia so I assume that's the main ingredient. It sure takes the sting and itch out of all of them for me. Nothing else I've tried works as well.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DDZ

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 01:33:44 AM »
Mosquitoes love me. They will fly miles to find me.

The bad thing is when they get me it looks like the photo. A mosquito bite swells up on me as much as a wasp or yellow jacket sting and more than a fire ant does. What works best for me on any of them is a product called After Bite. It smells like ammonia so I assume that's the main ingredient. It sure takes the sting and itch out of all of them for me. Nothing else I've tried works as well.

Thanks I'll have to try that. Never had anything that seemed to take the itch away. I too get a nice size welt from a mosquito bite.  Its said that 20 percent of people are mosquito magnets, which I have been found to be true.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2024, 04:26:02 PM »
I am not immune to skeeters but they bother me less as I aged.
Big dumb ones in early summer are not much of a problem but there are some small ones late in they year that are a lot nastier if they bite you.