Author Topic: Leupold Warranty?  (Read 924 times)

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold Warranty?
« on: March 26, 2004, 09:25:08 AM »
I’ve heard a lot of support for Leupold’s warranty.  I’ve never heard a bad comment on it.  I’ve also heard quite a few comments that I don’t know if they are true.  Mainly that they will replace/fix their scopes no matter what.  I’d like a little more info from scope users.

Several companies have “free of defects in materials and workmanship” warrantees.  Some of them transfer to second owners.  Is Leupold’s warranty inclusive of more than the others?  If I’m using one of their scopes, climbing into my stand, drop my gun, and severely dent the tube or bell on my scope will they replace it?  Does their warranty cover more than just “defects in materials and workmanship”?  Will they cover damage that happens to the scope from typical use?

I’ve looked on Leopold’s website but the warranty there didn’t make this point obvious.  Any info would be great.  Thanks,

JCM

Offline Rogue Ram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 06:37:44 PM »
I own several Leupolds...from the 3-9 compact to the 8-24 Long Range.

You drop it and break it, etc., they'll fix it but you may end up paying for it. If say a VXIII disintegrates like mine did under the recoil of a magnum, they are supposed to fix it..........I have had this scope back there several times and each time it comes back with nothing done to it. Still does not track, glass fuzzy at the edges, etc.  Never seen them replace one yet.

Added to that, all Leupolds being essentially made the same are subject to having tracking problems. Do a search, you'll find guys whacking them with mallets when making adjustments to jar them into place, and others making twice the amount of need adjustments in certain directions then coming back by half to get the scope to where it should be. I can never recall which directions these are.....  Not all their scopes exhibit the problem though.

I live near them and drop the scopes off in person. Each time I've asked to see someone higher than the chick at the front desk they refuse.  My bigger caliber guns now wear Swarovski.

RR

Offline JCM

• Avid Poster
Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 01:55:37 AM »
I guess I can say I've head a bad comment now.......

Thanks for the input RR.

Offline Zachary

Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 02:28:50 AM »
Think about it this way....

Yes, it's great to hear that a company (like Leupold) has "the best warranty in the business."

It's also great to hear that many people exercise their right to use Leupold's warranty by sending their scopes back.

Ok, a lifetime warranty on a product is great, but wouldn't it be better if you didn't have any problems in the first place?

I say this becaus I have several other scopes - mainly Nikon, Elite 4200, Elite 3200, and have NEVER had ANY problems.

I'd rather have a scope that people say they have had no problems, rather than having a scope that has "lifetime warranty."  (Granted, the Nikons and Elites have lifetime warranties too, but I have never needed to send any of my scopes back.)

Zachary

Offline yankee

Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 03:50:50 AM »
Lets get real.  Why should they replace or repair something for free if you do something like drop it out of a tree or hit it with a hammer.  They are not an insurance company.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 04:01:55 AM »
Quote from: yankee
Lets get real.  Why should they replace or repair something for free if you do something like drop it out of a tree or hit it with a hammer.  They are not an insurance company.

Because it would tip the scales in their favor in a purchasing decision in which competitiors do not offer.  It's of the big selling points for T/C products, they are bundling warranty as part of the product.  Same with RCBS as compared to Lyman.

Offline JCM

• Avid Poster
Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 12:09:49 PM »
I've got to second what Mr. Krupinski said....because it would tip the scales to their favor in a puchase decision made by me.  It would tip the scales tremendously.

yankee...aside from the previous that's all I can think of.  I don't know if they do or don't or if they should or shouldn't.  I would like to know if that is part of their warrenty though.

Zachary....that's a valid point.  I've hunted for the past 20 years with the same 3x9 bushnell scope.  It's a cheap model.  Nothing like an Elite, just a cheap one.  The edges are fuzzy, the crosshairs aren't sharp, I move my head a little and the target is lost.....but I've never missed a deer with it.  I've dropped it a lot and bump it constantly but never enough to hurt it.......but some day I might.

If I spend money on a quality scope I'm going to be worried more about damages that happen from my use of it than from the scope materials or workmanship.  If a warrenty helps cover my use as well then I feel like the money I've invested is a bit safer.

Thanks for all the input and please feel free to add more.
JCM

Offline Zachary

Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 01:00:40 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Krupinski

Because it would tip the scales in their favor in a purchasing decision in which competitiors do not offer.  It's of the big selling points for T/C products, they are bundling warranty as part of the product.  Same with RCBS as compared to Lyman.

Actually, for their Binos, Nikon offers a "No Fault Policy."  So if you break it, and it's not your fault, you're still covered.

Zachary

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 01:37:27 PM »
Quote from: Zachary
Quote from: Thomas Krupinski

Actually, for their Binos, Nikon offers a "No Fault Policy."  So if you break it, and it's not your fault, you're still covered. Zachary

Yes, that is one of the factors that influenced my decision to purchase my new pair of Nikon 8x42 Manarch ATB's, in addition to the eye relief.  I love them!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Leupold Warranty?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 04:13:23 PM »
Have to say I don't think I'd pay too much attention to those comments by RR. Sounds like some sour grapes from a person who for some reason just plain don't like Leupold scopes.

I shot competition for almost 30 years and during that time almost everyone used Leupolds. Never saw anyone feel any need to whack one to get the adjustments to take. I used both Vari-X IIs and IIIs in metallic silhouette competition where I changed adjustments for each distance. Never felt any need to whack a II or III to make adjustments take. They were positive and repeatable on all I've ever owned.

I once sent back a pair of pre Wind River Binos to them I dropped on concrete and told them so. Didn't cost me one red cent beyond what it cost to get them to Leupold. I can't say for sure you couldn't make them charge you but for sure I've never personally known anyone who was charged one red cent for any repairs they made to anything made by Leupold.

These days I prefer Bushnell Elites for the most part but still own and use Leupolds and have to admit they are mighty fine and good enough for any use I'll ever likely have for scopes.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!