Author Topic: A beautiful day, yesterday... Reverie, and a bit of history..  (Read 1463 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
A beautiful day, yesterday... Reverie, and a bit of history..
« on: September 23, 2023, 10:50:40 AM »
  Beautiful day yesterday, so I got onto my scooter and took a short tour..

I was in a pensive mood, so I wheeled up to a rural cemetery, where my Mother-in-law and father in-law are buried.  Wonderful people, ... she was
   perhaps more a mother, than the one I was originally blessed with.

I also thanked my Lord that they provided me with such a cherished bride.  ..And they did it unselfishly..

A time of meditation and prayer.  I thanked the Lord for their influence in my young life, so many years ago.. I formally met my wife at her 16th
   birthday  party, even though we had a 'passing acquaintance', prior to that time.  Soon after, we were an "item" so to speak.

While there, as a veteran and member of the American Legion...I had to stroll about 75 yards uphill...to pay homage to the resting place of
    one Daniel Bakeman...who at his death, was the last surviving veteran of the Revolutionary War..

..Born in 1759, veteran Bakeman departed this life in 1869...  He fought in the Revolutionary War..and lived to experience the years of
     the Civil War..

Below photos, entrance to cemetery..Daniel Bakeman's gravestone.. article in the now moribund, Buffalo Commercial newspaper...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: A beautiful day, yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 11:04:53 AM »
  That article is worth another read..  THat article was written on August 6, 1894...baCK Whjen the NY Times vlued genuine journalism.  Notice how the journalist speaks of the Civil War, and it's resulting GAR ( Grand Army of the Republic), saying for anyone from the Civil War to equal what Daniel did, he would need live until 1951.

Curiously, in talking with our late town historian, I learned that the last veteran of the GAR to die locally, did so in 1949.  He was amember in the
      very same post and building we are and use today..
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daniel Frederick Bakeman
Revolutionary War: Daniel Frederick Bakeman was the last soldier from the Revolutionary War to receive a pension. He was 109 years old when he died in 1869. Though no specific records to validate Bakeman’s claim of service survived, authorities deemed his testimony credible, and he received a pension. Bakeman was born in Schoharie County, New York, in 1759. At age 18, he enlisted and served as a private in the Tryon County Militia. He fought at the Battle of Johnstown. After the war, Bakeman married Susan Brewer, and they had eight children. Bakeman outlived his wife and two children. He died in Freedom, New York, on April 5, 1869. In his 109 years, Bakeman experienced inventions that revolutionized daily living, such as trains, gas lighting, elevators, typewriters, the sewing machine, and photography. His lengthy pen

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)