Author Topic: sourse for bees wax-lots of stores  (Read 1012 times)

Offline EdSmith

• Trade Count: (0)
sourse for bees wax-lots of stores
« on: March 20, 2004, 07:56:41 PM »
A sourse for bees wax is your common wax ring used to set or seal the water closet to the flange on the floor,and its cheap. remember if it aint broke you aint trying hard enough
if it ain''''t broke,you ain''''t trying hard enough :D

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 07:38:18 PM »
I was tempted to try it, but have been seeing discussion that says those rings are not made from pure beeswax.  Most of them anyways.  Can't tell since most don't have the ingredients printed on the labels.  Would you happen to know which brands are made of beeswax?  Say...the rings from my local Ace Hardware store?   If you and other pards using those rings aren't having any problems, they'll be worth a try.  :-)
Singing Bear

Offline Robert

Just smell them
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 08:56:12 PM »
Bees wax has an unmistakeable odor.
....make it count

Offline EdSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 08:59:20 PM »
thats true,some do have parafin in them.all I can tell you is to check the boxes.some will tell you what is in them. I have used some that said 100% bees wax,but I just dont remember what brand.I am a plumber by trade,and used many brands over the years.I am retired now,after 40 years doing it.
if it ain''''t broke,you ain''''t trying hard enough :D

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 04:26:59 PM »
EdSmith, thanks.  I'll keep checking.  Ace's ring packaging have no mention of ingredients.  But that's the only place I really looked, so I do have a bunch more options.  :-)

Robert, I'm in Hawai'i and have no idea what beeswax is supposed to smell like.  The raw stuff is as uncommon here as li hing mui (Chinese preserved plums) probably is up in your neck of the woods.  :lol:
Btw, we do have local honey available, but it's a small market and fairly expensive.   Probably a good indication of how hard it would be to find local beeswax.   Mailorder would be the next best option, but these toilet bowl rings are way cheaper still.  :-)
Singing Bear

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 07:18:35 PM »
Beeswax smells like honey.  I am positve that Hawaii has lots of bee products available with the abundant flora.  I am also pretty sure that most of the curently available 'jonnyrings' are parafin dilluted with petroleum oil, although they were originally beeswax.  I think if you do a little homework, you can find the real thing.  Please make sure that if you go sniffing toilet rings, that they are new and unused.
....make it count

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 01:30:26 AM »
Here is a pound of beeswax for $10.
A pound goes a long long way.
That toilet ring sounds like a good idea, I can see where they would have been pure beeswax in the good old days, but, I would be surprised if they still are. I wouldn't trust 'em unless the ingredients are stated.
Ten bucks for a pound of the real stuff would be many many bangs for the buck.

http://www.jcrows.com/beeswax.html
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 03:02:29 AM »
I have used Bee comb foundation that I get from Dadant Beekeeping supplies, www.dadant.com/catalog/  in my 40/90 Ballard. Haven't tried it yet in the Martini.

F38010 10 SH. MEDIUM BROOD 8" X 16 3/4"[/color][/u]are $8.20

Just press the case mouth into the wax to cut a wad.  In the 40/90 Ballard I used three wax wards between card wads.

10 8"x16 3/4" sheets will last a long time. Roughly 500 wads. per sheet.

This is also where I buy my Bulk Bee's Wax $3.41 a pound

Just click on the blue letters and you will be taken to the their catalog.

Offline R.M.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 05:11:51 AM »
I found a local bee-keeper here in the Denver area and he sells beeswax for $1.00/lb, or he did the last  
time I bought some a couple of years ago. He was telling me that he sells a lot of it for tent  
waterproofing.
I'd look around, there's bound to be someone keeping bees in your area. $10.00/lb is just way too  
much.

R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 06:04:08 PM »
Oh, hellooo....honey huh?  Thanks Robert.  umm, I knew that.  :wink:  :D   To be honest, I never ever even thought about looking for locally available beeswax.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Lilikoi or guava should smell nice.  :wink:   Better than used sealing rings.  :shock:  :wink:  :grin:
Singing Bear

Offline HonoluluHawk

SB
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 01:59:13 PM »
I got beeswax at that craft store on the mauka side of South King street.  They also have paraffin--but you'll have to get your sheep tallow from Dixies.