Author Topic: looking for a trail gun  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Brookielover

• Trade Count: (0)
looking for a trail gun
« on: March 29, 2004, 04:33:24 AM »
I am looking for a small gun to carry on me when I am hiking or fishing. Something fairly accurate and reliable and under $600. I also want to be able to carry it in a pack without there being any chance of it going off and shoting myself or someone else. Any reccomendations? Thanks

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Trail gun
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 04:48:13 AM »
Brookie - without asking where you are going and what sort of predatory critters you might encounter, anything in 357, 41 mag or 44 mag - prolly 4 " would be best - should do nicely for you.  If you are thinking semi-auto, think 10mm.  If small bear or cat might 'impose' on you while you are fishing, or if 2-legged critters are the problem, either of the 4 calibers mentioned should suffice well.  

Now, this is just my opinion, so don't take it for gospel - some salt might help, but there are lots of other fellas with excellent opinions who (I hope) might lend their own opinions.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Brookielover

looking for a trail gun
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 06:57:50 AM »
I live in central NY. I do a lot of hiking and fishing in the adirondacks. The biggest critter out this way is a black bear. Thanks for the help so far.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Trail gun
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 07:02:30 AM »
Brookie - you're not all that far from me and my original choices still hold.  Mikey.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 11:32:56 AM »
If your looking for light, reliable and affordable check out Rugers SP101 series.  Its smaller and a little lighter than the GP-100 but with the same punch of a .357.  If you dont mind a few extra ounces then the full size GP would be just as good.  The reccommended 4" bbl is dead on.  The 4" has been the acceptable compromise "Do All" length.  Short enough for easy carry, long enough to give some good results from the potent .357.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Spencer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 02:06:44 PM »
Hello from a fellow central New Yorker.  My recommendation would be a S&W revolver (I am partial to them.)  The ultimate would be the 686 Mountain Gun, they are not real common but it is a .357.  If you are not going to shoot a lot, the model 66 is a great choice.  I say not shoot a lot  because it is a k frame which would wear quicker with a steady diet of .357's. And by steady diet I mean LOTS and LOTS of range time.  It has a 4" barrel option, .357, .38 both can be shot from it.  It has a shrouded ejector rod.  Stainless steel, you can put boot grips on it so it is a little more concealable, or put the regular size grips for more controllability.  The only advantage the 686 Mountain gun has is it is a few ounces less, holds seven rounds, and is a L frame so is a little beefier.  If you want more power, there is a 657 Mountain gun in .41 mag and a 629 mountain gun in 44 magnum.  It is also made in 45 long colt and I think 45 ACP with moonclips. For more info, check out the Smith & Wesson Forum and do a search on the M.G.  I am sure you will turn up quite a bit.
I do not profess to be a S&W expert, but they are my favorite and If I can help anymore with my limited knowledge, feel free to contact me.  I love nothing more than talking Smith's
A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at the golf course.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 12:22:52 AM »
my favorite for that role is my smith 396 alloy .44 special. 3 inch barrel adj. sights and only weights 18 oz. kicks pretty good though!
blue lives matter

Offline Brookielover

looking for a trail gun
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 08:15:02 AM »
Could the ruger gp-100 in .357 with a 4 inch barrel be used for short range deer hunting(50 yards or less) also? Thanks.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 08:30:54 AM »
Brookie - in answer to your last question about the 4" 357 being used for whtetail at under 50 yds - yes it can, but you will need to consider your range limitations if you are using factory ammunition.  The 158 grn loads will penetrate the chest of a whitetail at that range but probably will not break through the shoulder girdle.  You should consider a soft nose bullet for better penetration rather than the hollowpoint.  That said, you should be in good shape for whatever you encounter.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Old Griz

looking for a trail gun
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 10:17:46 AM »
:cb2: The GP100 is a fine gun, however, I do believe one requirement was "small" and the GP100 ain't small. I'd go with a 3" SP101, or a 3" K frame, like a Model 65 or 66. Sorry, they may be just fine, but I just don't trust Taurus.

Personally I like to carry a 4" Anaconda, but then my requirement for myself didn't have the "small" restriction.  :grin:
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 10:27:21 AM »
a lot of guys will probably disagree with me but I carry a H&K USP in .40 cal. Its no .357 or .44 but I'm confident it will stop anything that comes at me and I've got 11 rounds to stop it with. Its got good safety features, its light weight and reliable. One of the nicest features is the enlarged trigger guard. This makes it easy to use while wearing gloves. Also the gun is very light weight. New these are a little more than you are looking to spend but you can find used ones in your price range.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 10:37:06 AM »
The one that usually gets taken along is my 3" S&W model 60 with Hogue grips and a tritium front sight that I had my smith install.  Small and light, and although chambered for 38 special I believe they are currently offered in .357.    It's better to have one along than left behind because it's too heavy or uncomfortable to carry or pack.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 12:09:35 PM »
Brookielover,
You have gotten a lot of fine advice from some very knowledgable people, but I would differ on a couple of minor points.  I would not use a 357 on whitetail size game with anything less than an 8" barrel.  I know people who have killed deer with a 22 pistol, but that does not make it an humane hunting caliber.  The 4" 357 is my goto gun when hiking, but I do not have black bears to contend with around here.  I have a Dan Wesson 357 (a couple actually) and that is what I carry, although it is a little bigger than most of the fine guns recommended above.  I am a big guy, so I never notice it while hiking.  

If bear defense is in the picture at all (and possible deer hunting), you better go with the 44(or if you handload, a 45LC with hot loads.)  The S&W is great in that it is a very light gun for a 44 mag.  The only problem is that they tend to shake loose with a steady diet of HEAVY 44 shooting, but for a gun carried a lot and shot very little, they could be just the ticket.  Also remember that the lighter a Magnum gun is, the more brutal the recoil is going to be and the slower the followup shots are going to be (if needed).  Another option is a single action Ruger with a 5.5" barrel.  It will be about the same weight as the S&W 29 or 629, but it will be a lot stronger.  I just don't like to carry a single action for dangerous game defense where the shooting may be close, fast, and instinctive.  

I personally carry a Dan Wesson 44 mag with a 4" or 4" compensated barrel for dangerous game protection when I travel and hunt out west.  It is much heavier than the S&W, but it is much more accurate, controlable, and faster to shoot than whatever is in second place.  In 5 minutes I can change to a 6", 8" or even 10" barrel for hunitng if need be.  I really like that.    I have head shot rabbits for the camp pot, offhand at 30 to 40 yards, with the Dan Wesson 44.  It is a goody, not to belittle the other fine choices above.

Roll Tide

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 08:14:38 PM »
I hate to seem negative but it bothers me when people say .357s are to light for deer, That is absolutly untrue. A 4" barreled .357 with 180 solids will blow a hole thru any whitetail walking. A.44 will blow a bigger hole but it won't make the deer any deader.Everyone seems to forget that the .357 was the most powerful revolver made for 30 years or better, Elmer Keith documented hunts where deer were taken at 200+ yards with a 4" barreled .357, Granted Mr Keith was a marksman of great skill I cannot make a shot like that but the pistol can, Bigger calibers are a crutch for poor marksmanship. Practice and you won't need a bigger bullet. Unless your hunting Cape Buffalo and I don't think they have any of those in NY. IMHO of course. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline DzrtRat

• Avid Poster
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 10:21:41 PM »

Granted Mr Keith was a marksman of great skill

Bigger calibers are a crutch for poor marksmanship.

I believe that Mr Keith was well noted for hunting with large caliber handguns, was he not?

I agree with you that the .357 mag in a 4" revolver is more than capable of taking whitetails (depending on the shooter, of course), but it's certainly not a cure all for every shooter's needs.  I enjoy shooting mine, but much prefer a heavy loaded .45 Colt for big game.

It's just my choice, not a crutch.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 11:27:33 PM »
i guess in my opinion if hes looking for a trail gun that is suppose to be getting him out of trouble hes talking about bear man ect when there is going to be alot of pressure on him while making the shot. Not a controled situation that allows for precise shooting. I personally think the .357 isnt a bad gun for deer hunting ive used it and seen it used alot on deer and bear. It will kill with a good marksman behind it. But in my experience the .44s and .45 are much  harder hitters and at the risk of really getting flamed by all the .41 addicts on here id lump the .41 in with the .357 and not with the .44 and .45s especially where bear are conserned. I think the guns for protection in the woods start with a .44 using at least a 250 grain hardcast bullet at 900 fps. From personal experience that is what has killed quickest for me. The .41 is a real nice dear round but doesnt kill as quickly as the big bores. For my trail gun id have nothing but hard cast bullets as i have witnessed failures of jacket bullets on even small black bear. YOu will find lots of opinions that appose mine and thats ok cause everyone is allowed an opinion. But i based mine on what ive seen in the field and will stick to them. If you want a gun recomendation buy a 4-5 inch barreled .44 or .45 that size of a gun is easy to pack and quick to use.  brand doesnt matter but get to know the gun intimately.
blue lives matter

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 10:33:29 AM »
To me, the classic trail gun is a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel.  I've carried them in calibers from .357 to heavy-loaded 45 Colt, and I've always felt well armed.  At just under 40 oz., the gun is easy enough to tote, but heavy enough to take some of the sting out of what you're putting through it.  The barrel length makes it quick and handy, but long enough to get decent ballistics.  In states where there's a minimum barrel length/caliber/energy level for handgun hunting (4"/.24/NA here in WA), you might want to make sure that you can legally use the gun for whatever purposes eventually come up.  On my last hike in bear country, I packed a Ruger Redhawk with 5.5" barrel in 44 mag.  It's a little heavier at 49 oz., but it didn't slow me down any.  6" is the maximum barrel length that I would consider on a revolver, as I have found longer barrels to be more trouble than they're worth on this type of firearm.  If I really need longer range, higher velocity, etc., then I can always haul an Encore along, but that's not the niche that a trail gun is supposed to fill.
NRA life member

Offline Old Griz

looking for a trail gun
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 05:04:38 PM »
:cb2: I have also hiked in a lot of National Parks were guns are not allowed, and you cannot just stroll around with a firearm on your hip. But then, that's why they invented fanny packs . . .
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 12:25:12 PM »
Excellent reply Dzrtrat.  I couldn't agree with you more.  One other thing to mention.   Here in the east the national forest have more than once been used by drug dealers to grow pot.  Not to far from me a couple of years ago the national guard uncovered a huge crop growing in Green Mountain National Forest.  And guess what is often used to keep people away??? you got it....aggressive dogs.

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 03:41:35 PM »
A S-W 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt would fit the bill nicely.

Ruger use to make the Redhawk in 357. I'd really like to find one of those. I saw one about 7 years ago and still regret not picking it up.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 12:34:27 PM »
Well said leverfan, I think most  people not looking for an excuse to cause trouble could agree with what you have said.

Roll Tide

[/img]

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 04:55:41 AM »
Folks,

I deleted a number of posts.  I felt that we needed to stay on topic and talk about handguns.  I'd rather not have us discuss dogs and horses especially when the conversation is getting testy.  The gentleman asked for a recommendation for a trail gun.  Let's offer him our best recommendations.

Blessings!

ShootnStr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline michbob

• Avid Poster
looking for a trail gun
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 02:54:42 PM »
Amen, Mr. Moderator!

If you are not in a bear-heavy area, how about a Ruger SP-101?  With a 3" barrel in .38, .357, or 9mm, they are pretty handy and would take care of most of your needs.

Michbob

Offline doghouse95

looking for a trail gun
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2004, 01:00:43 AM »
I converted from a Python 6" to one of the accusport 45LC. The gun got tricked out and accurized.  Trigger pull is just under 4 lbs and breaks like glass.
Either one of these revolvers would work just fine for you.
Having them isn't enough, you must have them where you can use them quickly and efficiently.
Practice shooting them until it is like pointing your finger.
Have fun with them
Horses and mules take me away from the mess of mankind and into the beautiful country.

Offline Deaf Smith

• Contributor
The perfect gun for your needs
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2004, 07:53:38 PM »
and beleave me I have considered them living as I do in bucks CTY PA is a Taurus Tracker in 41 magnum. The gun comes in other calibers as well as in SS or titanum non of which I will recommend. first on the off chance you will run into a black bear then the 45 acp or 45 colt as it can be loaded in this particular pistol is just not enough. On the other hand a 210 grain soft point will get your message across to Mr bear. Get the gun in 41 magnum stainless steel 4" barrel the titinum will be tempting especually for its lighter weight but you will suffer for it when shooting full magnum loads and while you will not want to do so ofter you will have to at least 6 or 7 times a year take the extra weight you will be glad you sis when that 41 goes off. The gun in SS ois small and light enough as it is carry an MTM ammo wallet with 6 full magnum loads and 12 mid range loads plus 1 (or 2 if you wish)speed loader full of magnums on your belt and you are good to go. The 41 will handle any critter you are likely to meet on 4 legs or 2 is light enough to carry easily  and well within your price range (about $450) I consider it the perfect trail gun when a 22 is just not enough. JMHO and I hope you consider it.
Jim L
Jim L
Proud TFL alumnus

Invalid e-mail address. TOS Violation. Acct. Deactivated

Offline doghouse95

looking for a trail gun
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 10:52:13 PM »
The cor-bon 300 gr 45LC+P load will stop anything that gets in front of you.
Do not shoot this round out of the colts or colt clones.  It's made for Rugers, contenders, and lever guns.
It is a bunch to hang on to, and moves the 45LC into the 454 range.
Buffalo makes some hot 45LC +P loads too.
Horses and mules take me away from the mess of mankind and into the beautiful country.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
357 Mag for obvious reasons
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2004, 07:44:33 AM »
Ok, I will add my two cents.  When I go deer hunting I usually use a rifle (although this year I may try a 357 Mag with 180 grain bullets).

To me a trail gun is a wilderness multi-purpose tool.  I think that this tread has focused a bit much on bigger caliber is better.

Why my first handgun (to be used while hunting and backpacking) was a 357 Mag in 4 inch barrel, is for a number of reasons.  At the time I didn't reload, and so the 357 offered me the opportunity to purchase factory ammo in a very wide variety of potential uses.  That allowed my 357 Mag to be a multi-purpose tool.  I purchased some shot shell 38 special loads, some 38 Special Lead SWC, and a couple of flavors of 357 Mag high performance loads.  With that I could load up a cartridge wallet with some (4) 38 special loads and shot shells (4) and a two extra 357 Mags and put the 10-cartridge wallet in my shirt pocket.  With that an a full cylinder of defensive 357 Mag, I could shoot a game bird or rabbit for a trail dinner (without destroying all the meat), shoot a snake, or handle two to four legged preditors.  I could also use ammo for an emergency sound signal.

I have known many folks who view a 22 single action revolver as the ideal trail gun, especially if they are willing to pack a 22 Short/Long/Long Rifle Cylinder and a 22 WRM cylinder.  They feel that the 22 WRM is loud enough and of marginal power (a little less than a 38 special in ft-pounds and better than throwing rocks, but not anything to stop a large 4 legged preditor) to scare away most things that they are afraid of, and yet with a few different short, shot, and LR rounds they have lots of variety in what they can do with it.

Again, I would suggest a Double Action 357 Mag as a compromise between stopping power and broad factory ammo availability.