Author Topic: Is it possible to swage 45-70 JSP bullets to .500 cal.?  (Read 681 times)

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Is it possible to swage 45-70 JSP bullets to .500 cal.?
« on: March 30, 2004, 08:48:03 PM »
Hello all,
A few years ago I did some very simple swaging with a small Corbin press making .375 & .430 lead SWCs with a base guard.  That is about the sum of my experience with swaging bullets.  I now have a need for some .500 cal bullets.  I can buy bulk 405g. Rem 45-70 bullets for a reasonable price.  My question , is there a die that I can use to swage these bullets up to .50 cal?  Also does anyone have any experience in doing such a thing?  If it is possible would the resulting bullets be of good quality?
Any info would be appreciated.
TnNuc

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Is it possible to swage 45-70 JSP bullets t
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 09:09:15 PM »
Hello TnNuc, :D

Are the 405 grain bulk bullets all lead or are they jacketed? Lead bullets should swage up to .50 cal. just nicely for pistol bullets but not for rifle bullets they may be a bit too short. If there jacketed bullets probably not, the jackets might stretch out unevenly or rupture. That's the short anwser.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
Is it possible to swage 45-70 JSP bullets t
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 07:51:59 PM »
Donna,
Thanks for getting back to me.  The 45-70 Rem. bullets are 405g. JSPs..
The .50 cal bullets would be used for the .50 cal S&W.  For now components are still pretty pricey.  I expect that after a while prices will come down as more mfgrs. produce bullets.  The only swaging equipment I have now is the small Corbin press, a couple of dies and a couple of dies to cut copper base guards.  I don't think the small Corbin dies and press are large enough to handle .50 cal. bullets.  Also, the small dies are intended for pure lead only.
I was hopeing that there might be a set of dies that would fit a reloading press that might work...but it doesn't look like it. :cry:
Thanks again...I guess I'll have to look at some other alternatives.
Later,
TnNuc