Author Topic: Question for 44Mag and 444 shooters  (Read 1164 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Question for 44Mag and 444 shooters
« on: April 04, 2004, 06:55:57 PM »
For the 44 Mag crowd, how do you like them for accuracy?  What are they like for deer and Black bear?

How does bulk ammo shoot in them?

For the 444 crowd,
have you ever used 44 mag ammo in the 444?  Is the accuracy as bad as I suspect it would be?  could you hit a clay pigeon at 50yds?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 02:24:29 AM »
Handirifle you can not use 44 ammo in a 444. There is a difference in case dimension right in front of the rim. The 444 is bigger at that point and it would not be safe to shoot 44 ammo thru it. It is common beleif that the 444 is a stretched 44 mag case, it may be lengthened but they change some measurements as well. Get a reloading manual and compare case dimensions. The only true lengthened 44 mag case is the 445 SM. Just went a found the dimensions. In front of the rim on the 44 mag the measurement is .457 and the 444 Marlin is .471 That is a difference of .014 Does not seem like much but I would not try it.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 04:11:49 AM »
I'll second BBF on the not using .44 Mag in a .444.

I shoot a .44 Mag Marlin carbine. Rifling is the same as NEF and I have been getting very similar results to other reloaders using NEFs so I'll comment. Regular .44 Mag ammo using cast or swaged lead bullets are not going to give good accuracy. The rifling just does not do well with plain based lead bullets at full .44 Mag speeds. Accuracy can be very good with jacketed bullets or carefully tailored gas checked cast.

There is plenty of power there for deer and black bear. I was never able to make a running shot with mine back when I hunted. Takes more lead than you can believe on a broadside running shot on a deer past 50 yards. Tree stand hunters and good stalkers have no complaints at all. Some of our local bear hunters swear by the .44 Mag in both pistols and rifles. Hunting with dogs is legal here and they want something light so they can keep up and something with a lot of oomph because when they do shoot it's often at short range into a bear fighting a pack of dogs.

I have mine because of the fun factor. It's a very good cast bullet gun when you understand the limitations and cheap as dirt to shoot with home cast bullets. Box of 50 of my own reloads is maybe $3, maybe even $2 for plinkers with surplus powder.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »
BBF
That's a big DUH on my part.  Never thought to look at the specs.  I have on so many other cartridges too.

Since the 357's are all going away, might just try the 44 before it goes too.  Kinda like a 45-70 lite :grin:

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 05:41:47 PM »
I love the new Handi rifle in 44 Mag. I was out shooting mine today for just the third time. They are very good shoots. Even with the rather crude sights, I can shoot good groups at fifty yards and  pretty darn good at 100. I am shooting some mild 200 grain XTP's at just 1500 fps. I am shooting 11.3 grains of Unique with a good crimp. If you shoot lead bullets without gas checks, keep the speed down to about 1000-11000 fps or you might have some leading problems. I will use the 200 grain for smaller game and plinking and I think I will load the 250 grain Partition HG from Nosler for deer and the 300 grain XTP or 265 grain Flat point for Black Bear.
shot placement is everything.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 01:43:49 PM »
Handi,

My Ruger Super BlackHawk 5 1/2" at 100 yds is phenomenal with 265 gr' HardCast; but I doubt the Handi' would do as well with its micro-grooved rifle and cast bullets.      But the .44 mag' is an excellent cartridge for accuracy and does well in IHMSA shooting because of that, and because of its knock-down power.

I'd shoot Heavy jacketed bullets or hardcast for bear, but I'd shoot 240 gr' Hornady XTP'S for deer.     I've seen one deer taken with 265 gr' National Bullet Co'  RNFP's, (2 or 3 hits) but it didn't drop much faster than a similar-sized deer taken with one shot from a Federal/American Eagle 158 gr' JHP in .357 mag'.    Both deer were within 50 yds' of the shooter.    The deer drop better with a jacket opening up on them presenting a wider wound channel through the lungs.

Take care.

SS
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 06:19:57 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback, now to decide if I want to go back to 45-70 or to 44 mag :roll:   Maybe both :grin: , just kinda hard to justify both right now.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 11:00:44 AM »
I have seen the 44 mag make a deers eyes go glazed the New England is a good woods gun easy to move fast. I don't try to drive nails with mine but  useley can hit a gallon jug at a 100 yrds fun to watch it burst  don't take much to amuse me. I need to figger out a reason for a 45-70 now. :biggun:
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 11:36:11 AM »
Handi'

If the decision was mine, and I lived anywhere in the lower 48 States I'd go with the .44 mag' -- handloaded -- over the .45-70 any day.     The price of brass, the loads assembled from a pound of powder, the excellent quality available in .44 mag' diameter projectiles, and the easier recoil in spite of all that power would make it an easy decision for me.

If I hunted 'brownies' in Alaska I might go with the .45-70, but not necessarily since either cartridge is coming out of a Handi' with a 22" barrel.      The .44 mag' is not a miracle of ballistics, but it is a small-packaged killer all out of proportion to its size and its calculated abilities.  

The right bullet and velocity is all you need to handle anything in the Western Hemisphere with a .44!

Take care.

SS'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 01:54:17 PM »
SS Thanks, good points too.  I imagine the trajectories aren't a whole lot different unless one hot loads a 300gr for the 45-70.  What velocities could one expect for a 300gr from the 44Mag?  I know that's a heavy weight for caliber, for the 44, but is apples to apples comparison.

I'm talking jacketed ammo too, haven't had much luck with cast bullets.

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
300gr 44 Mag
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »
Quote from: handirifle
SS Thanks, good points too.  I imagine the trajectories aren't a whole lot different unless one hot loads a 300gr for the 45-70.  What velocities could one expect for a 300gr from the 44Mag?  I know that's a heavy weight for caliber, for the 44, but is apples to apples comparison.

I'm talking jacketed ammo too, haven't had much luck with cast bullets.

handirifle,
There's some info on the 44mag with 300gr bullets here...

http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=pistolrevolver&step=1
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 05:11:07 AM »
Handi'

The Accurate Powder Loading Guide #1 shows 1488 fps with a Sierra 300 gr' JSP out of a 20" barrel at 40,000 cup, using only 19 grs' of AA #9.     The older manuals, like the 1991 NRA "Handloading"  shows 43,500 cup as max' in the .44 mag.     With that higher pressure (using a little more AA#9) and the 22" barrel from the Handi' I'd expect near 1600fps for that 300 JSP -- and may actually get more once the barrel is broken in and smoothed out!    

The .45-70 in the same manual gets the 300 gr' Sierra HP moving at 2164
fps out of a 24" barrel using 59 gr's of AA#2015BR.     Flatter shooting, I would guess out to a good distance, but nowhere near as efficient, and probably recoiling more with the much greater propellant 'ejecta' involved.    We're not talking just 6 or 7 gr's more of powder, we're talking approx' 3 times as much.       I'd expect that to make a recoznizable difference in recoil.

I guess I'm stuck on the abilities of the .44 mag' and its great efficiency with bullets up to approx 320 grains.    

Take care,

SS'

Offline JPH45

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 01:18:21 PM »
SafetySherriff, Some time ago on the old H&R Talk, there was a discussion of the strength of various guns chambered in 45-70. I referenced an article in a major publication on the subject. The article is "Anatomy of a Blackpowder Blowup" by C. Rodney James. It was published in the 28th Edition of Guns Illustrated 1996 and begins on page 64.

Handirifle,  Over the last year of working with my 44 Handi, a few things made themselves abundantly clear....First, there is more to poor accuracy and cast boolits with micro groove barrels than myth. Cast boolit groups fall apart, and I mean fall apart at 1300 fps. So far, neither plainbase nor gas checked boolits have made any difference. There has been one and only one exception in my gun. Magnus Bullet makes a 300 grain single lube groove truncated cone bullet that not only shoots at 1450 from my gun, it shoots into one inch as readily as the Speer 270 GD does. This bullet (#704) is also a bevel base design cast from typical industry hardcast.  It is about 21 BHN. To put this into perspective, I have been unable to get the same accuracy using boolit I cast from Linotype. Go figure. I have found the gun to be very accurate, in fact one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned. It will, with loads it likes, shoot into 1.25" monotonunsly. I would not hesitate to shoot anything that weighs up to 300 pounds with the Speer 270 GD. Mine pushes it to 1575 fps and will deliver just under 1000 foot pounds at 150 yards. Sighted "0" at 115 yards or so, it is only 6" low at 150. Not bad for a handgun cartridge. Having made 4 kills with mine this past season, I would not hesitate to shoot anything I could see with my naked eyes with it.

It is my understanding that the 44 barrel is or has been discontinued. I do not know how that may factor into your decision.

My purchase of the 45-70 was based on two things, first, everyone around here was getting one, and I figured I would be able to use everyone elses learning curves. Second and perhaps more important, having never shot game with cast boolits, I may have rushed into a poor judgement about them. I decided that all things being equal, a heavier bullet will be a better killer than a lighter one. As there are a couple of big bucks in my hunting area, I did not want to find myself in the position of having a gun capable of the task (the 44) loaded with a substandard bullet (255 grains at 1250 fps) I figured that if with cast boolits the accuracy limitation of the rifling in a Handi was about 1300 fps, I would rather hit something with 330-400 grain bullets than with something lighter, hence my decision to get the 45-70.

I believe today my judgement of the performace I saw on one deer as being "not good enough" is wrong. Animals up to and over 400 pounds are killed cleanly every season with 255 grain 44 caliber cast boolits at 1250-1300 fps every year. In fact, Elmer Keiths favorite loadings of the 44 Special and the 44 Mag pushed 255 grain bullets to 1200 fps.

At the same time, everything on this continent has been killed with the lowly 45-70 using 405 grain boolits at 1300 fps. I doubt there is a nickels worth of killing power difference between those two loadings. I am certain that NO deer is going to look at you and run away because you poked him through the lungs with a measly 255 grain boolit at 1200 fps. I keep thinking of what Dave Scovill wrote to me...."There is not a deer in Alabama a 255 grain bullet at 1200 fps won't shoot completely through".... As I mull over the mountain of evidence on his side, I think the answer to your question will reside with the answer to the question "Which are you more comfortable with???" In the year I've known you now, I have found you to be a thoughtful, intelligent and well spoken gentleman. I do not think those traits will betray you in the hunting fields leading you to take shots beyond your means. Either of these are capable killers in capable hands and will not fail you.

My ultimate solution to the problem was.............get both :roll:
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2004, 10:19:01 PM »
Ss
thanks for the info, that really does a fair comparison.

JPH
Thanks too for the info and the kind words.  I may end up like you did.  I must admit the effeciency of the 44 Mag is a VERY strong point to consider.

I guess I can assume a 240gr jacketed bullet will perform as nicely on hogs and black bear as deer.  I was considering a back-up round for elk (never hunted them yet) but I'll just get an '06 barrel and use it to back up my Savage rifle.  Sorry, but when the chance to hunt elk comes, it may be my only chance and I want a quick follow-up shot if need be.  I am a good shot but no telling what elk fever might do to an old guy like me.