Author Topic: which brand sizer?  (Read 996 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
which brand sizer?
« on: March 23, 2004, 03:29:52 PM »
well i am thinking on jumping a little further into casting and figure if i do it is time to get a quality luber/sizer.  i am considering either a rcbs or the lyman master cast kit.   anyone have experience with either and opinions of them that they would share?  your recommendations please...

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
which brand sizer?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 05:10:55 PM »
Veral Smith says the Star lubersizer "is the Rolls Royce of lubesizers". I have one and love it. It's a straight through sizer, nose first. This means you have a flat faced punch that doesn't have to be fitted to the nose of the bullet. One punch for each caliber.

Because it is a straight through sizer, there's no in and out motion, meaning it's a whole lot faster. Bullet #2 pushes #1 out the bottom and that's it.

It costs about 50% more than the competition and in my view it is worth it.

Get it at Magma Engineering.

http://www.magmaengr.com/index.php

Offline Cactus Cris

which brand sizer?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 05:34:14 PM »
I will concur wholeheartedly with a Star lube/sizer.  Have 2 ( a 44/40 & a 358.)   The only way to go!!!
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
which brand sizer?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 10:55:53 PM »
star rcbs lyman in that order. Ive had all of them and the star is by far the best.
blue lives matter

Offline Leftoverdj

which brand sizer?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 04:13:26 AM »
Star is out of my price range. If it's within yours, go to it. I've had the Lyman, had the RCBS, got disgusted and swapped both off. I've had an old Herter's all along which is at least a lot stouter than the Lyman and RCBS, but you still have to put every bullet in and take every bullet out one by one and you still have to have and change nose punches.

These days, I mostly use Lee pushthoughs. Have to lube my bullets some other way, but they are hard to beat for fast accurate sizing. They are also easy to hone out for the exact size I want.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Kragman71

• Contributor
which brand sizer?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 05:57:12 AM »
I have two Lyman/Ideal lubesizers.
They are both model 45's,and have seen a lot of service.
I'm sure that a Star,is better,but pricewize,the Lyman 450 or newest 4500 is as good a choice as you will get.
The Company is reliable and 'customer friendly'.I still get advice for my 50 year old tools and also still get parts.
Frank
Frank

Offline sundogg1911

which brand sizer?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 07:52:05 AM »
I use a Lyman 450 with a heater (For hard lube) havn't had any problems with it. i'd like to buy a Star next.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
which brand sizer?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 11:49:45 AM »
well thanks for your advice everyone.  if i am to understand correctly, you have to have a certain punch fitted to the exact nose of the bullet?  this sounds like a headache if i am understanding it right?

Offline Leftoverdj

which brand sizer?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 03:18:50 PM »
Yeah, RCBS, Lyman, and my old Herter's take top punches. You can sink a hundred bucks into top punches easy.

Star and the Lee pushthoughs don't use top punches since they push from the base.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
which brand sizer?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 03:55:43 PM »
i have used the lee sizer and dont like the excess lube all over the nose of the bullets; or the fact i have to lube them in a seperate step.   i have been dipping the base in melted lube, setting it aside to dry then running it through the sizing die.  makes a big mess and there has to be a more proficient way.   i am only after one caliber though and that is the 44 mag.   i dunno.  more research i guess.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
which brand sizer?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 04:59:18 PM »
I get OK results from my Saeco luber/sizer. It was reasonable for cost and does the job.   :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Leftoverdj

which brand sizer?
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 04:00:52 AM »
Myron, there are easier ways to do things. For bullets I'm gonna shoot up to about 1200 fps, I use Rooster Jacket Lube. It's a liquid that dries to a hard waxy surface such as is found on .22s. Dump 500 bullets in a bowl, add 1-2 tablespoons of Rooster, stir and dump on a cookie sheet. For higher velocities, Lee's Liquid Alox does the same thing, but leaves a messier surface.  If the lube on the nose bothers me, I dust the finished bullets with Motor Mica.

The old stand by is pan lubing, which I use only for rifle bullets. Size and GC nekkid bullets, sit them base down in a pan, add solid lube and heat pan until the lube melts. You can add more lube to get the level to fill whatever grooves you want filled.  Let cool and cut the bullets out with a tube just larger than the bullet. Cutoff fired cartridge cases are the common tube.

As I have said, I have and sometimes use a conventional lubriziser. When I can use Rooster Jacket or LA, my production rate is about three times faster with the Lee Pushthroughs. If I had the money it takes, I'd have a Star and have the best of both worlds, but that ain't happening.

Offline R.M.

Top Punches
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 04:16:01 AM »
I don't know what type of bullet you're using, but something to consider is the fact that bullets with a flat
nose don't need a special top punch. All I cast are full and semi-waddcutters, so I only have one top
punch that's flat on the bottom.
If you're after round-nose, well that's a different can of worms.

R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kragman71

• Contributor
which brand sizer?
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 06:43:52 AM »
If you are having a cash flow problem,you can customize your nose plugs with Epoxy.
Clean the plug with solvent.Coat the bullet,and surrounding spaces with release agent or wax.Apply the epoxy to the plug.Place the bullet in the ram of the tool.Raise the bullet into the plug.Let set.Clean up.You have a new custom nose plug.
Frank
Frank

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
which brand sizer?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 03:17:05 PM »
I agreed to buy a star from a guy on one of the boards.  It came in and low and behold it was a Saeco.  Kept it as it had a bunch of dies with it.  Works well, I also use Lee push through sizing dies.  Just a point for your decision.  Lyman and RCBS dies (interchangable) are half the cost of Saeco and Star dies.   Star dies need more fussing with than others because you have to stuff lead shot into lube holes you do not wish to feed lube from.  If you cast a bunch of different bullets and size them to different rifles you may want to go with more than one sizer.  Many do.  It seems that the advantage of the Star is for sizing vast quantities of bullets.  I work up bullets in modest batches for different rifles so I have no need for the production system. I can put one in and take it out just fine.  Best of luck JB

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
So has anyone tried Lyman's #4500?Opinions?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 04:19:52 AM »
So,has anyone tried the Lyman #4500?Just curious,Jeff Stamper,Virginia. :D
John 3:16

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
which brand sizer?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2004, 03:15:58 PM »
No not from VA, I would have to look it up, somewhere on the Left Coast. JB

Offline pistolfan

which brand sizer?
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 06:51:27 AM »
I have used a RCBS for twenty some years now, same one, haven't had any problems so far. I can usauly size and lube a few hundred bullets a night, no problem. I was wondering on the SATAR sizer, how do you seat a gas check?? Peter