Author Topic: Getting Somewhere With the Max  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
Getting Somewhere With the Max
« on: April 03, 2004, 11:27:57 AM »

The four groups on the left chronied just under 1800 fps. Top right was just over 2000 fps, say 2025 fps. The outside shot in the group at far right was the first of the group.

Now, all I need is a couple of boxes of 180 grain XTPs and another pack of file cards.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 12:28:35 PM »
Izzat 50 yds?  Great Shootin DJ !  I think I'll try those 180gr Hornady SSP interlocks again, they didn't like W296, haven't tried them with the WC680 yet.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 01:47:57 PM »
Yeah, it's 50 yards. Picture.com put their logo over where I had it.

It's just as well that one shot in the last group was out. If it had cut the other four, I would not have had the nerve to post the group.

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 03:49:12 PM »
This is the five shot group  with your 150gr RCSB cast wonder bullets.
no x now!

Offline jeff223

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 03:58:57 PM »
looks like those rifles are shooting good.i havnt shot my 357mag for accuracy yet.soon i hope.

RV,how you coming with your 30-30?

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 12:47:16 AM »
Quote from: jeff223
looks like those rifles are shooting good.i havnt shot my 357mag for accuracy yet.soon i hope.

RV,how you coming with your 30-30?

Haven't done any more with the 30 30. I'm going to concentrate on the max for now. Once thats working, I 'll get with the 30/30.
 The good news is my .41 mag load is settled with the 210gr xtp. One more trial with that to be sure and I load up about 50 for safe keeping.
  If you get any news breaking progress on the 30-30, I'd love to hear about it.
  DJ has got some good notes working on the Max, so I'm hoping to borrow some of that data.
                                 RV
no x now!

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Getting a little better
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 02:25:27 PM »
The load is the same 16.5 w296. The only difference is I seated the bullet at the deepest cannelure.
 10 shot group at 50yards. The small wad at the top is 5 shots.
no x now!

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 04:05:23 PM »
Doncha just hate that vertical stringing, Vance? It comes and goes with me, too. It's the could have beens that get you. That ain't a bad group, but it's made up of two good groups. Seating those bullets deep had much the same effect as upping the powder charge a grain or so. Mighta been that and it mighta been that your rifle just like them seated deeper. My crystal ball ain't working real good tonight.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 06:05:43 AM »
I just do not understand it. I have never had vertical stringing with any of my H&R rifles. My max does not vertical string either. Of coarse i'm close to max levels in my maximum. Maybe tge lower velocities cause it or the way the bullet is crimped.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 06:30:45 AM »
Maybe the vertical stringing is coming from inconsistent burns.  Have you tried experimenting with different crimps?  My 45-70 loved tight crimps or else it strun vertically as well.  Just a thought.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 07:41:30 AM »
I've been able to cut the vertical stringing.  I wait 5 to 10 minutes between shots, remove the empty, and leave the breech open.  That way each shot is from a cold barrel.  Works for my .223, .243, and 06 Handi's.

I usually take two or three guns with me to the range.  I'll shoot one then lay it aside, and shoot another.    Also my TCR (Thompson Center Rifle)  does the same thing, so its not the cheap guns that do it, the expensive ones do it too.   The Handi's group just as good as the TCR, I shoot both in .243 and 30-06.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Vertical stringing
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 09:01:47 AM »
If the two groups were separated, it would be two very good groups. As is it's a workable group.
  I'm thinking seriously about making a for-end for my sb2  30 30, then one for the Max. I saw a for-end on a 12ga ultra slugger and that thing looked like it was 16 inches long. I'm wondering if I make one for each barrel that extends well beyond the lug, then glass bed it to a warm barrel, then a shorter length of barrel would be unsupported. Think I'll try it on the 30-30 first. Also I should add some weight to the stock to balance it better. Any thoughts on this project?
                             RV
no x now!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 12:40:05 PM »
mag41vance,  Actually I have been thinking along similar lines of a much larger forearm than stock, but with a different bedding technique. I prefer to see how the gun/barrel shoots bedded from the action to the stock screw, then freefloated past that. I think the extra weight will help the guns, as well over time more success has been had free floating barrels rather than full length bedding them. You can always add bedding, but removing it is a pain. I have done that (full length bedded the barrel channel) on bolt rifles with soft stocks to help stabilize the wood.

Strange thing is, that with my 44 and 357, the more I shot them the more they settled in. I have done nothing to the forearms, and they fit snuggly for the length of the wood. Both stocks are laminated stocks and this may have some effect as laminates are far more stable than plain wood. The point of impact shifted dramatically with my 30-30 after being in my house for about a month. The gunshop is of course air conditioned, while my house is not. I am sure that sealing the plain wood of the Handi would help.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 02:13:54 PM »
JPH45,
 The larger fore-end is something that I think I'll try. Right now the gun is so front heavy, that it is always wanting to tip forward on the bags when you seat the gun near the hinge-pin. I think doing as you've suggested would give the option of setting the gun on sandbags that don't have to be so close to each other.

Today I tested 18.5 grains of w296, as well as 18.5grains of H4227.
 The 296 produced 5 shots @ 50 yards = 1.301", and the 4227 was 1.704" somewhat vertical.
  So far this is the smallest 5 shot group with the 296 and the 180xtp.

I also tried 210gr xtp's in my 41 mag with 20gr w296. It opened the group up quite a bit from the 19.5gr load.
                                                vANCe
no x now!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 12:31:56 PM »
I do not think there is a better load available for the Maximum Handi than 26 grains of  1680 and the 180 XTP. It is accurate, fast, hits hard and is tough. I get groups like DJ's all day long. That load is the easiet good load I have ever come upon.

Vance, if your gun is tilting forward, fill the buttstock bolt hole with shot. #8's work real good, and it should balance your gun out. You can remove the weight for strollin' thru the woods lookin' for them deeries.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jeff223

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 12:53:07 PM »
boy it sure looks like those rifles are shooting good for you guys.you should be ready for the postal match now.i got to get out and shoot my 357mag but i have been buisy for a while.