Author Topic: Star lube/sizer question  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Sandhills Writer

• Trade Count: (0)
Star lube/sizer question
« on: May 12, 2004, 05:52:39 PM »
I have a new Star lube/sizer with heater. It came with a stick of solid blue
hard wax lube. I have about 20 sticks of hard blue lube with a hole in the middle that I used in my old Lyman. Will they work in the Star, or will the hole in the middle cause a problem? like a air lock or some such thing?

Offline Leftoverdj

Star lube/sizer question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 06:00:56 PM »
I don't have a Star. Do have an old Herter's built for solid sticks and hollow sticks work fine.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Star lube/sizer question
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 10:57:23 PM »
they will work fine but it puts a little air into the system and ocasionaly you will have to run a bullet through twice. Best thing to do is put it in a pan melt it and pour it into the sizer.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Star lube/sizer question
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 11:00:18 PM »
ps best bet is if your going to melt it anyway. Mix it half and half with some beeswax. It will run though your sizer better that way without heat. My favorite lube is felix lube (homemade) mixed 2/3 felix 1/3 magma hard blue. You could substitute javalina for the felix if you dont want to make your own.
blue lives matter

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Star lube/sizer question
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 02:18:44 AM »
We use lube in 1X4 and 2X6 size. Sometimes we have air problems. We run this lube through our sizers without a bullet in the die allowing the lube to flow freely till all trace of air is gone. We save this lube till we have a coffee can full and then melt it using just enough heat to make it pour. We fill our sizers with this lube. Works great.

As a note this is hard lube. We use LBT Blue Soft for special orders and have never found air in this lube......yet.
Joshua 1:9

Offline calvon

• Contributor
Air in Star LubeSizer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 04:51:04 PM »
As usual, I go back to what that wise old Veral Smith (he's younger than I am) has to say about most things pertaining to cast bullets. He says his LBT Blue melts at about 220 degrees. He recommends melting it and pouring it into the Star.

I bought a Pyrex measuring cup that holds a pint. Cut a stick of LBT Blue into chunks about an inch long. Drop them in the measuring cup and put it in the oven at about 250 degrees for a few minutes. When it has melted, pour it into the Star machine.

No more trapped air problems.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Star lube/sizer question
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 06:31:36 AM »
The LBT lube we use is in solid stick (1X4) form. We place it in our Star Lubers and use a little heat. This lube requires no heat but it works better with the large single lube grooves our Keith's have if a little heat is used.

I've never used the LBT soft in a Lyman 450 but have used Apache Blue. I find it works easier with a little heat also.

When Star Sizer/Lubers are used in production they will wear, even the old San Diego's. The lube which leaks from them is collected and stored. When enough is in the can to melt we'll pour into our lubers as Veral suggests.
Joshua 1:9