Author Topic: Shotgun vs. Rifle Scopes  (Read 676 times)

Offline Brasso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Shotgun vs. Rifle Scopes
« on: March 24, 2004, 12:54:29 PM »
I've noticed that several scope manufacturers make a scopes in the same magnification range for rifles and shotguns.    Is there a difference in these scopes?     Are the shotgun scopes built tougher, and would they work as well on a rifle?

Offline KN

Shotgun vs. Rifle Scopes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 01:54:38 PM »
I'm no expert but I would think a shotgun scope would be set up for a shorter parallax distance than a rifle scope.  KN

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
Shotgun vs. Rifle Scopes
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 03:08:25 PM »
I can't claim to be an expert either, but I know in the Leupold scopes, the parallax is set for 75 yards on the shotgun models, and they feature a heavy duplex reticle.
Will

Offline Brasso

• Contributor
Shotgun vs. Rifle Scopes
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 03:13:33 PM »
Makes sense to me.    Still puzzled by why someone would want a 3x9x40 on a shotgun, but who am I to judge.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Shotgun vs. Rifle Scopes
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 05:54:55 PM »
that shorter parallax should be fine on a rimfire...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Shotgun vs. Rifle Scopes
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 01:38:05 PM »
If you can check the specs, look at eye relief and see if the shotgun models have longer eye relief. That is the only possibility I can think of. Bushnell is big on designating some scopes for shotguns. I have an air rifle scope on my .22. I wanted AO that would adjust down to 25 feet and the AOs for other guns don't do that. Air rifle scopes are built pretty well since air rifles recoil in both directions. An air rifle will wreck a scope designed for high power rifles.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Shotgun vs. Rifle Scopes
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 05:20:53 PM »
Lilabner is right....I have read engineers that say an air rifle is tougher on a scope than the higher powered rifles.
   I had an extra 2.5X20 Simmons shotgun scope in my cabinet and mounted it on my new .22LR barrel for my NEF. It seems to work really well.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)