Author Topic: Only one choice  (Read 809 times)

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Only one choice
« on: April 13, 2004, 03:31:54 PM »
OK here's the scenario. You have only one choice for powder and you want to shoot cast bullets(without gas-check) in pistol caliber rifles from .38 caliber up to the 45-70. What  would be your choice?

I'll start the vote with......
 Unique; Based on some good groups I've seen posted by Raynor SV, and leftoverdj.
no x now!

Offline jeff223

Only one choice
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 03:49:14 PM »
now that is a good question RV.i have no clue :? i never shot or loaded cast bullets but i am going to start

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
Only one choice
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 04:57:39 PM »
RV;

I believe my choice would be Alliant 2400 hands down for you can download 2400 where H-110 and 296 you can only reduce by 10% from the max. Also it meters so much better than Unique. Plus you can get magnum velocities with 2400 and use standard primers.
It was the powder of choice for Elmer Keith back in his day and all he shot was cast bullets and I've found it holds true today for my use, and I've been reloading for nineteen years now.
RV, Just my two cents worth.
Dennis  :wink:

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Only one choice
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 05:08:26 PM »
I might try Universal , It works real good in my 9 mm Smith.

Most of the time I have Unique. Marv.

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
Only one choice
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 03:30:47 AM »
Blue Dot is worth a look as a versatile powder in these cartridges. Do NOT use loads over loading manual max.

Offline Leftoverdj

Only one choice
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 04:41:17 AM »
Unique has been around over a hundred years and there's a ton of data for it. It does work very well in light to medium loads across a very wide range. There'll always be a can on my shelf because I can make anything work with it.

There is one drawback. It does not meter well. Unless you have the patience to scale every charge, which I don't, you won't get the very finest accuracy from it. That don't much matter. Even with the variation of thrown charges, it shoots well enough for my purposes most of the time.

I can understand the vote for 2400, though. It covers a slightly hotter range than Unique and is better suited to hunting loads. Been around a mere 60-70 years, and there's a ton of data for it, too.

Truth to tell, it's the data availability that's important.  Life's too short to go working out your own data for every possible powder. Many of them work very well once you have them figgered out, but 2400, Unique, and a few others are already known. So many shooters have used them in so much stuff that you can have a real good idea where you will get results before you throw the first charge.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.