Author Topic: Loading : tool or stand ? Opinions  (Read 1381 times)

Offline verbero

• Trade Count: (0)
Loading : tool or stand ? Opinions
« on: March 27, 2004, 11:41:42 AM »
I'll leave you good shooters alone for a while after this question, promise !

I have seen some people recommend a loading tool to avoid undue wear and tear on your firearm. I haven't been able to find plans on the net for one so will have to buy it. I have found plans for a stand though.

Question : is the loading tool worth the money (approx $70) ?

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 01:45:02 PM »
I've never used a loading tool on my Colts or my Remington. Don't see the need for it. Judging by the number of original guns that are still around in working condition, I think that a steel framed gun will hold up to normal loading stresses without problems. I have a friend who has shot the same brass framed .36 Navy for 30 years or more and it's fine. He uses the gun's rammer. And, it gets a lot of use.
    I use a loading tool on my NAA .22 caliber revolvers because they don't have rammers. In thinking about it, I don't know a soul who uses a loading tool if their gun has an attached rammer.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Shorty

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 02:09:32 PM »
Loading tool?  OK, for a Patterson, yeah, but for a gun with a loading lever?  That's what it's there for! :wink:
I sometimes think about building one of those loading stands, but then I figure that I've gotten by without one for over 30 years so why bother.  It only takes two hands anyway. :roll:

Offline Flint

loading tool
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 02:56:35 PM »
From Cabelas (Pietta) it was about $20.00, from Thunder Ridge, another brand they claim  is better, about $25.00..
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline verbero

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 03:05:54 PM »
Can you send me a link to the product on Cabelas please. I've searched under loading tool and looked under reloading but have never been able to find the loading tool that they sell.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 07:22:40 PM »
I've never used a loading tool. I figure that's what the rammer is for.
I use a loading stand, however, that holds the revolver upright while I seat greased felt wad and ball. It gives me a far better feel for how much pressure I'm applying, over holding the revolver in your hand.
I have .36 and .44 revolvers. Never seen a loading tool for .36-caliber. Do they make such a thing, or are they all .44-caliber?
Also, will a .44 loading tool fit BOTH Remington and Colt revolvers? I don't see how, when the cylinder pin is large for the Colt and small for the Remington. So, would I have to buy two different sizes of loading tools? Or is the loading tool only made for Remington pattern revolvers?
Frankly, seems like a lot of extra stuff to lug around in my already-bulging shooting box. I've never seen the need for a loading tool. Just don't see the advantage over a loading stand, that will accommodate all sizes and makes of revolvers, and the use of the revolver's rammer.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Flint

loading tool
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 04:47:33 PM »
When Cabelas lists the loading tool it is in the black powder/cap & ball  section, as it is an accessory for the 1873 Colt SAA cap & ball gun Uberti and Pietta are/were making.  It needs a loaiung tool as it has no loading lever.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 12:28:42 AM »
I saw that loading tool in Bass Pro Shop last year. You might try their web site.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 01:00:47 AM »
As Flint says, these were designed when the Colt 1873 was brought out in cap and ball.  Originally being cartridge guns, these have no loading lever.  After saying that, I have one that I use for a "Sheriff's" model clone, with the short barrel.  That short loading lever hurts my fingers and doesn't provide enough leverage.  

To use it for the Navy colt I had to make a liner for the pin to bring it to the size of the cylinder pin hole and use it slightly off center.  The machined out depression for the cylinder to fit is just a hair too small and my cylinder has to be tilted out of it, it won't drop out.  

All in all, it's a specific tool for a specific gun and using it for any other requires changing it.  

Wayne the Shrink
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline headshooter

LOADING TOOL FOR 1858 TEXAS NEW ARMY
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 01:09:35 PM »
After searching for along time for a loading tool for my Cap & Ball, and also reading many posts from other guys looking for this tool....i thought i'd include a link where I found 1
http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/revolvers.htm#revolvers

just go to the bottom of the page

8)
p.s I am new to black powder pistol shooting and i'm having a hard time loading to caps with the inline capper that came with the kit.

Anyone have any suggestions please shoot me an email

headshooter69@hotmail.com     thank you
Live for today! life''''s too darn short----enjoy the outdoors to it''''s MAX----and teach your children the same values  8)   :sniper:

Offline jgalar

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 03:13:05 AM »
If you are loading an open framed revolver using this tool you will cause more wear on the gun taking it appart to remove the cylinder for loading than if you just used the attached rammer. The tool is for guns without attached rammers. It is a waste of money and time to use it for guns with attached rammers!!!

Offline headshooter

To jgaglar
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 05:44:22 PM »
Its a texas new army 1858, brass frame, my first cap and ball pistol,i've been shooting centerfire for 25 years...got this one for CHRISTmas and absolutely love it. :-D
Live for today! life''''s too darn short----enjoy the outdoors to it''''s MAX----and teach your children the same values  8)   :sniper:

Offline Flint

loading tool
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 06:36:05 AM »
The tool  is particularly useful if you have spare cylinders.  Shooters in my CAS club will load up a bunch of cylinders and swap them out to save time at the stages.  They are installed and capped at the loading table.  The tool from Thunder Ridge, I saw at a match last week, and it is well made.  The plunger in in a slot, so it adjusts to different cylinders better than the Pietta model from Cabelas.  You need a plunger for 36 if you load those, but it will load Colts, Remingtons and Rugers.