Author Topic: powder for cap n ball  (Read 797 times)

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
powder for cap n ball
« on: April 15, 2004, 09:30:51 AM »
I have never tried 777 in my revolvers. Between 777 and pyrodex, which is the most accurate in your revolvers?

Offline Pogue

powder for cap n ball
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 09:57:58 AM »
I get good accuracy with both.  777 is cleaner, and I can shoot all day w/o cleaning, unlike Pyrodex.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Powder
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 11:45:00 AM »
I'd like to try Elephant in my rifle, Goex and a couple of others for general use.  But it's getting so all I see around here is Pyrodex.

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
powder for cap n ball
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 02:03:44 PM »
I would like to know the differance between elephant and goex. I just noticed it is available at Graf & Sons for $8.95 & $9.95 a pound. That seems like a good deal, and i don't think theres a minimum, just the $20 has mat.

Offline weinstein

Elephant Vs. Goex
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 03:08:52 PM »
I've not shot enough of either to be an authority, but someone who IS an authority in my book has told me that Goex is at the bottom of the heap quality wise in the BP world.

Now, that doens't mean it's junk... but I'm told the Elephant is great stuff for an "everyday" type BP, whereas the Goex is somewhat dirty and less energetic than the Elephant.

Best of the best is supposed to be the Swiss stuff, I'm told.  Mostly I stick to 777 in my C&B pistol.

Offline Cactus Cris

powder for cap n ball
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 06:02:58 PM »
When the stateside supply of Elephant dries up- There won't be anymore!!  My supplier got me to try the new German BP  Schuetzn and I like it better than Ele. It is just a tad hotter than Ele. but cleaner burning.  Swiss is too $$ and Goex is dirty and not consistent in velocity.  I don't use the subs cause I choose not to.  So If ya can find Elephant in quanity- get all ya can.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
powder for cap n ball
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 07:15:44 PM »
I just ordered some swiss and a pound of "Graf black powder"  Any idea what kind of black powder it is?  I figure if it's crap I can use it in the walker, that'll eat up a pound of powder in a hurry!

all I've ever shot has been Goex, but the local suplier has quit selling it so I'm real interested in what swiss can do.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com