Author Topic: .50 Cal Plains Pistol Range Report  (Read 671 times)

Offline kjeff50cal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.50 Cal Plains Pistol Range Report
« on: May 09, 2004, 07:57:43 AM »
I got bored around the house Saturday and I reallized I haven't been to the range lately (this week) so I went to my gun closet to see what I have not shot recently. There rested the case of the .50 caliber CVA Plains Pistol I bult 2 years ago as a back-up to my Mountain Stalker. The barrel of this gun is only 6" and it didn't come with a rear sight. A few minutes with set of files and a semi-buck horn rear sight cured that. Here is the best 6 shot group of the day @ 25 yards.  I was shooting .490 RB with a .010 patch (beeswax/lard lube) over 35 grs Goex fffg.

Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline alpini

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 09:25:08 AM »
That's pretty darn good. I'm not sure if I could do as well even with a modern handgun. Good job with the sights, that little pistol will make a dandy back-up piece for anyone. I'm looking for a small back-up myself. Good shooting!

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 04:31:01 PM »
Thanks for your comments, the rangemaster and I were keeping up a conversation while I was shooting. He was kind of spoting for me (who can't see a half inch hole at 25 yards!!! Anyway there was some shooters (male & female) practicing for their concealed carry permit and frankly they were intimidated by the old looking gun that sounded and looked like a cannon going off  :eek: . Some ask what was I shooting and I showed 'em the round .50 caliber ball that weighed as much or more than the rounds they were using. They were also surprized at my loading procedure.... right out of the 1840s.
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 05:39:01 PM »
I've wanted to get one of those for so long. I ave the Plainshunter rifle and really want to ge the pistol to go along with it. It doesn't come with a rear sight? Wow, that surprises me. Mabey I should look for another buckhorn sight and do something like you did, if I ever get one. I actually can't find it on the CVA website any more. I'm wondering if they didn't discontinue it, either that or their website is messed up. This makes me want to get one even more now. Looks great.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.