Author Topic: Chinese glass  (Read 760 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Chinese glass
« on: March 10, 2004, 01:23:46 PM »
Article in my newspaper on outsourcing says Japan is now doing a lot of outsourcing to China to remain price competitive. It also said more than half the cameras sold in the world are now being manufactured in China.
I know Chinese products are not highly thought of by many on this board. Thought there would be interest in this development. China seems to be winning the trade war with their inexhaustible supply of factory workers who will show up for peanuts. They are certainly hurting us.

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Chinese glass
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 07:21:17 AM »
Well we want cheaper and cheaper things and that can only be done in China,Vietnam and a couple of other 3rd world countries. They are probably assembling components shipped from Japan there. Seems to be a one way street with China and most of the world when it comes to Trade. We make all these trade agreements and never police them and lose entire industries as a result.
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
Chinese glass
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 07:52:28 AM »
I have heard that a lot of the Japanese companys have moved whole factories over to china. They still use the same materials and manufacturing process but since labor is cheaper there the cost of the product comes down.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Chinese glass
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 10:44:34 AM »
Quote from: Bushnell Boy
....... They still use the same materials and manufacturing process but since labor is cheaper there the cost of the product comes down.
It's not necessarily passed on to the consumer though!  :(

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
Chinese glass
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 12:17:24 PM »
AKPLS your absolutely right. Sometimes I think it is used to lower the overall price and other times its not.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Chinese glass
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 03:15:13 PM »
No the extra goes to the overpaid execs and shareholders of the corporation.
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline jgalar

Chinese glass
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 03:25:57 AM »
MADE IN JAPAN we used to see this and think the item was junk. My Leupold binoculars are made in China. The Chinese can make some very good stuff, but they can also make some trash. It depends on who the company has make their products. Give it a few years and the Chinese will be making great optics, the market place will determine which assembler stays in business. As for now I think the Chinese optics are a crap shoot at best and I would rather mine be made elsewhere.

Just my oppinion.....

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Chinese glass
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 05:45:43 PM »
And now for a political statement for which I apologize -- but I'm unrepentant.

One of the things Americans have is a high standard of living. We achieved it by improving working conditions, pay scales, and productivity.

The red Chinese government runs their country and pays their workers in ways that should appall every American. If a local company treated its workers the way the average mainland Chinese worker is treated, you would boycott the company's products, perhaps support a strike.

Is saving a few dollars so important that you are willing to subsidize force labor?

Why not insist that YOUR government tax Chinese goods to bring their real cost to what a comparable -- not identical -- prduct would cost from one of our more democratic allies?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell