Author Topic: Caribou  (Read 586 times)

Offline brown-trout

• Trade Count: (0)
Caribou
« on: April 14, 2004, 11:03:55 AM »
.gonna be after caribou this fall!
my 270 Lam Stock Handi will be up to the job, im sure...!
...no bolt action fan , here......nevr had a hoofed animal require more than one, whether it was a 12 ga. lead slug, a razor tipped arrow or  a 295 grain bullet from a front stuffer.
==============
any advice on a caribou hunt is welcome

brown-trout.
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline TruNative

• Trade Count: (0)
Caribou
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 06:03:21 AM »
Where do you plan on going caribou hunting at?  I live in Alaska, and if you are coming up here to hunt you may want to rethink your decision on the .270.  Though it is plenty to take a caribou, you probably want something more powerful in case you run across a grizzly bear or more.

Also, you may not be a fan of bolt-action rifles, but they are less likely to jam on you.  That's the seller point there for me.  I don't know if you've ever seen a grizzly bear up close, but I sure wouldn't want my gun jamming up when I have one of those coming at me.

(Might I also recommend carrying a handgun for protection).

Happy hunting!   :-)
account deactivated as trouble maker.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Caribou
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 07:04:25 PM »
Like he said: If you are coming to Alaska you better rethink that .270 thing.  The .270 is totally adiquate for Caribou, but is too light for Grizzly.  I carry a Handi quite often in the summer in .35 Whelen.  Totally adiquate for Grizz.  But in the fall during Moose and Caribou season I carry a .338 Win Mag.  Not for Moose and Caribou, but for the chance encounter with a Grizz.  When you are up to your elbows in Moose or Caribou, and a Bear of any type comes in you got a problem.  .338, .35, or 45-70, are all good at that time.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.