Author Topic: Sighting in a slug gun  (Read 1538 times)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Sighting in a slug gun
« on: April 16, 2004, 05:28:01 PM »
How do you guys sight in your Trackers, Ultra Slugs or any other NEF/H&R shotgun shooting slugs?  

I start with my 12GA Ultra Slugger shooting the cheaper Winchester BRI sabots to get the gun on paper and zeroed in at 50 yards.  I then shoot three rounds with the Partition Golds to see where they are hitting.  I make the minor adjustments on the scope necessary to set my POI at 2" high at 50 yards and shoot a couple more to verify the new settings( I may repeat this cycle a couple more times if the results and not what I want).  When everything is set at 50 I move back to 100.  I shoot three more slugs at 100 to verify the gun is shooting where I want to it.  If it is not, I will adjust my scope some more and shoot again.  Hopefully by now I am all set and the gun is sighted in for the season.  I konw where the slugs are hitting from 0-100 yards and I can adjust my hold accordingly.  Even for those shots that may be a little over 100 yards.

Hopefully when I take the gun out again for target practice or to get ready for the next season it will be at zero or at least close.  I know that less lead will be required to verify my zero so I may just shoot the Part Golds right away.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline rmtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sighting in a slug gun
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 01:31:25 AM »
I have a 12 ga Ultra Slug that started my NEF journey:) I follow the same procedure but I use Lightfield 2 3/4" sabots and use them right from the start. At 2" high at 50 I have been right on at 100 every time so far.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Sighting in a slug gun
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 03:12:15 PM »
Have not even got to shoot my Ulta yet waiting on a scope and trying to turkey hunt ( no luck they are smarter than  me :( ) Whitetailer like the advise on sighting in will give it a try.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Sighting in a slug gun
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 09:16:06 AM »
Hella...Kinda hard to shoot that Ultra w/o a scope  :wink: ...Good luck with the turks...Two more weeks for me... :shock:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Sighting in a slug gun
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 04:06:32 PM »
I don't do much to sight in my Pardner 20 ga. There are no sights to adjust and I can get about a 4" group at 100 yds with cheap Winchester slugs.  I prefer to try to get the deer to walk within 50 yards tho.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Sighting in a slug gun
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 11:05:24 AM »
Scruffy's sight you shotgun in using a 5 shot box instructions.

On my ultra I attach the harris br bipod on the front swivel and use a 'v' block (cut from 2"x4") under the butt stock to the rifle is fully supported.  At 25 yards I position the crossairs on the bullseye by moving the block in the rear to control elevation and windage.  When it's "aimed" and just sitting on the bipod and block I grip it snuggly and squeeze the trigger.  BOOM.  Then I adjust the shotgun again so it's sitting on the bipod and 'v' block and the cross airs are centered on the bullseye.  I then very carefully adjust the scope so the crossairs are centered over the first shots impact.  Now, for the first shot at 25 yards, POA (point of aim) and POI (point of impact) match exactly.

Then I back the target out to 50 yards.  I fire three shots using the bipod and block for total gun support.  After the third shot at 50 yards is fired I once again carefully place the crossairs on the bulls eye and with the shotgun supported on the bipod and 'v' block adjust the scope so the cross airs move from the bulls eye 2" below to the middle of the 3 shot group.  I go put the cross airs 2" below the 3 shot group so POI is 2" above POA.  And if your scope's centerline is 2" above the bore's centerline a 25 yard zero for elevation will give you almost 2" high at 50 yards (slug travel 2" from centerline of bore to centerline of scope in the first 25 yards and travels almost another 2" from centerline of scope to just under 2" high in the next 25 yards).

Then I move the target out to 100 yards and fire the last of shot of the 5 shot box to verify it's 100 yard placement.  If you are shooting slower slugs POI will be lower at 100 than the faster high velocity slugs.  Some of the high velocity slugs may arc up to 2.5 inches high around 75 yards and be around 2" again 100 yards.  While the slower slugs may be back around zero at 100 yards.  And if that one shot is right on you can start shooting for groups or move the target out farther.  If it's not, the shotgun either moved while you were adjusting it, you had a flyer, etc.

Also, during this process I check the ring screws after every shot to be sure the scope and rings are seated in tight.

For me, even after the 5 shots to sight in are complete, I like to shoot another 5 to 10 shots just for my own confidence level in the shotgun loads accuracy, scope setting, scope position (eye relief), etc.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun