Author Topic: 1 st year prod. 444  (Read 655 times)

Offline muslmutt

• Trade Count: (0)
1 st year prod. 444
« on: April 13, 2004, 02:12:57 PM »
A while back I picked up a first year production .444 marlin in, unfired condition. I didn't have to shoot it much to get a very accurate load for it. My problem now is that it is too darn nice to think of getting it in a situation where it might get scratched etc... while hunting. I even considered getting another .444 that I could not worry about. How rare are these in this condition? What is it worth? I don't really need guns I can't hunt with.

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
1 st year prod. 444
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 03:58:09 PM »
muslmutt,

I will be happy to trade you my 444S and then you won't have to worry about getting it scratched up at all. Besides you have ruined the value by shooting it.:-D  :-D  :-D

Dave :grin:
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline jh45gun

1 st year prod. 444
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 10:30:09 PM »
In my opinion guns are made to be shot and honest wear does not hurt them any as long as they are not abused. What fun are they or what use are they sitting on a wall, in the box or in a safe???? Yea they might be worth a few more bucks nib but look at all the enjoyment you are missing by not useing it :wink: ! Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
1 st year prod. 444
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 06:35:20 AM »
Two of everything.  Problem solved. :D
Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline muslmutt

1 st year prod. 444
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 03:11:21 PM »
I agree, I bought this to shoot it, so I will, on pretty days. I will even hunt with it , on pretty days. You are also right two of every thind solves everything. So I found a older 45/70 in great condition dirt cheap.

Offline BamBams

1 st year prod. 444
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 04:16:07 PM »
They are "somewhat" rare.  Some of the early ones were even issued for use in Vietnam.  Yup, you heard me right.  They were affectionately referred to as "Bunker Busters" and were not issued to the mainstream GIs.  The newer .444s do not have the microgroove rifling I believe?

I'd shoot it and not worry too much.  I wouldn't modify it in any way though. The .444 is a great caliber and is only shadowed by the 45/70 in big bore lever actions because the latter can be loaded up more.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline muslmutt

1 st year prod. 444
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 12:51:13 PM »
Cool. How would one tell a "bunker buster .444"  from any other. From the date of purchase my plan was to shoot it but never alter it. I never thought it would so quickly become one of my favorite guns, or that it could be so accurate. The 45/70 I recently obtained also shoots right at 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I thought lever actions were not supposed to be this accurate.