Author Topic: ?? On 45-70 Micro Groove Rifling  (Read 652 times)

Offline Wlscott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
?? On 45-70 Micro Groove Rifling
« on: May 04, 2004, 03:44:38 AM »
I have a couple of questions about the new 45-70 barrel that I now have.

This barrel has the micro groove rifling in it.  Do the barrels with the micro groove rifling have the 1:20 twist just like the other barrels?  

Also, what weight bullets will that twist stabilize?

One more.......Is the micro groove rifling designed to shoot a certain bullet better than another?  For instance, will my barrel be more inherently accurate with cast bullets as opposed to jacketed?

All questions, comments and smart remarks are appreciated.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 10:24:47 AM »
Never measured the twist in either of my microgroove .45-70s, but 1-20" looks about right. You want high velocity hunting loads, you're better off with them yellow bullets. The gray ones can get real finicky at much speed. Shouldn't be a twist problem with anything between 300 and 500 grains which covers anything you are likely to run into.

I'm a plinker and a tinkerer and not much of a hunter. A cast 405 grainer over 12 or 12.5 grains of Unique is easy on the shoulder, cheap to shoot, and as accurate as anything is gonna be.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 12:32:08 PM »
wlscot
My BC was just the opposite.  Much more accurate with jacketed.  Many are getting good accuracy with cast but I NEVER could.  Tried a lotta loads but nothing worked for me.  It's best to find someone that has a lot of experience with cast in the NEF rifles and learn from them.

Lotsa luck.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 01:01:24 PM »
Weird thing for me is that I have been able to get good accuracy all the way up to 1600 fps with my 45-70 Handi. this and the 30-30 are the only Handis I've got that will shoot faster than 1300 fps without trouble. What I want to know is this.....Since the 45-70 and the 30-30 are offered in pistol barrels (the 45-70 is even available in revolvers) can I shoot mine at 50 yards and eneter them in the pistol calibers for the postal match? :wink:
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 01:59:51 PM »
Yep you should be able to shoot them in the pistol matches JPH 45. Just remove the stock,use the 300gr win. ammo, and let us know when so we can, well you know, witness the shooting,and take you to the emer. room. Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017