Author Topic: Wild Dogs  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Loader 3009

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Wild Dogs
« on: November 02, 2003, 10:20:53 AM »
If you guys see one of these critters in the wild, dont shoot it .
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/caralinadog.htm  It's probably treeing a squirrel for some kid.

I remember borrowing Old Man Honeycutt's Dingo, as a boy, to accompany me on my hunting trips.  They are quite good at squirrel hunting.  When they tree one they go beserk.

I was reminded of this when I read an article on the Carolina Dog in today's CHARLOTTE OBSERVER.  You can find out lots more about this phenominal animal by entering carolina dog in your search engine.
Don't believe everything you think.

Offline John

• Contributor
Wild Dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 02:59:16 PM »
Some pretty good lookin dogs there.

I always had a squirrel dog around when I was a kid, but they were of the coon hound persuasion. Had a half redbone half bloodhound when I was a pup, and a black and tan when I was a bit older.

Those hounds had to do something during the daytime to earn their keep, and would often have a squirrel treed near home when I got off the school bus.

I really had it made when I was a kid. Coon hound, 22, shotgun, boat and motor, trotline, limblines, bottoms behind the house that went for a couple of miles, lake south of the house, and my folks liked it when I was in either place huntin or fishin.

Good thing is it's still alot like that for me. Got a wife that puts up with it now.
Hey, hold my beer and watch this.

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
wild dog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 08:38:29 PM »
wow,what an coincidence.I live in upstate NY,driving to work tonight i pull up next to this car and stickin gits head out the window is a dog i swore was a dingo or a indian dhole? Dole? I was smallish,but looked just like your pictures.Guess i know what it was now....weird.
                                                          shooter
Shooter

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Wild Dogs
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 10:48:24 AM »
That looks like a cool dog! :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Re: Wild Dogs
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 03:06:28 AM »
Quote from: Loader 3009
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/caralinadog.htm  It's probably treeing a squirrel for some kid.

I remember borrowing Old Man Honeycutt's Dingo, as a boy, to accompany me on my hunting trips.  They are quite good at squirrel hunting.  When they tree one they go beserk.

I was reminded of this when I read an article on the Carolina Dog in today's CHARLOTTE OBSERVER.  You can find out lots more about this phenominal animal by entering carolina dog in your search engine.

Hello Loader :D
   speaking of wild dogs, look at this black coyote, found dead on the highway in texas. Ive seen black wolfs before but not a black coyote.
go to. http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/eastexsteve/blackcoyote/blackcoyote.html
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 03:25:29 AM »
Quote from: Loader 3009

Hello Loader :D
   speaking of wild dogs, look at this black coyote, found dead on the

highway in texas. Ive seen black wolfs before but not a black coyote.
go to. http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/eastexsteve/blackcoyote/blackcoyote.html  
bullet maker
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Black Coyotes
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 05:10:08 AM »
Bulletmaker:  I dunno man, that dog is sure squashed up a bunch, but after looking at the stubby hair and the jaws I wonder if that wasn't a Hyena that escaped from a game farm in the neighborhood.  

You didn't mention how big it was, weight wise (yes you did, 35 lbs), which might give a good indication of age, or whether your State Encon/Wildlife folks picked it up for examination.  A young or small Hyena might run around 35-40 lbs, but they do get bigger, much bigger.  Also, unless it was suffering mange, that fur doesn't look like anything I've seen on any of our local coyotes.  Even one that died of mange and other diseases last winter and was found dead in a driveway about 100 miles north of NYC didn't ahve fur that looked that short and coarse.  

We have some pretty big coyotes here in Upstate NY, sometimes going as heavy as 60-65 pounds.  But even when busted by a rifle or shotgun slug they don't look anywhere near as gnarly as that one did.  I have seen our eastern yotes in different color schemes, including some gray/black mottling that sometimes gets them mistaken for domestic pets out for a run but ours seem to have a different facial and jaw structure that the one you showed in the photo.  It would sure be interesting to know for sure.  Thanks.  Mikey.

Offline MATLOCK12C

• Avid Poster
Wild Dogs
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 09:19:25 AM »
Bullet Maker , I dont know what the heck that is! but it's not a cyote like we got in E, Texas!
Just from the ears and jaw structure I want to say some type of Hyena. Do you have anything else on this? It's very interesting,
MATLOCK12C@AOL.Com

Remember, 95% of all energency room visits are made shortly AFTER this statement; HEY, Y'ALL WATCH THIS!  :shock:   :)  :)  :-D

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Wild Dogs
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 01:11:09 AM »
Don`t know anything else about it. It was hit pretty good by a vehicle, so can`t tell much else about it, strange looking though :eek:
bullet maker :D

Offline Loader 3009

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 11:10:03 AM »
speaking of wild dogs, look at this black coyote, found dead on the highway in texas. Ive seen black wolfs before but not a black coyote.
go to. http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/eastexsteve/blackcoyote/blackcoyote.html[/quote]

Bullet maker, I wasn't ignoring you.  I wasn't notified of your post.  

That thing's ears look round.  Hyena ears are round, but that's no hyena.  You should have called a rabbit sheriff to check it out.
Don't believe everything you think.

Offline Bama76

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Thanks Loader
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 05:36:13 AM »
for an awesome link to a true deep south doggie! I want one. It's a beautiful animal. Now I must part and do some more research on this creature. Indian rebel dogs ROCK!

Mike