Author Topic: H&R ULTRA VARMINT  (Read 836 times)

Offline duckmandonk

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R ULTRA VARMINT
« on: April 28, 2004, 04:22:40 AM »
I AM GOING TO BE COYOTE / JACK RABBIT  I AM WONDERING  WHAT CALIBER YOU ALL WOULD RECOMMEND  I WAS LOOKING AT A .223 WITH A BULL BARREL WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS RECOMMEND  THANKS FOR YOU'RE
TIME.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
H&R ULTRA VARMINT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 06:33:51 AM »
The Handi or Ultra Varmint in 223 would work great for both coyote and jack rabbit.  You could probably get away with a 17HMR for the jack rabbit.  Some people use that caliber for coyotes but I think it is a bit light for that duty.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
H&R ULTRA VARMINT
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 06:48:59 AM »
Well, I'd recommend the 223 first, 22-250 second, and 243 third.  Each has their advantages and disadvantages, but for what you're going after, coyotes and jacks, the 223 has plenty of punch and very diverse ammo offerings, and 223 ammo is cheap, brass is cheap, etc.  The 22-250 and 243 have longer range capabilities, but unless you're shooting past 300 yards regularly the 22-250 and 243 are probably more gun than you need, and are more expensive to shoot.

I'd also check out both the bull and standard barrel to see which you like better.  The standard barrel is still plenty thick and the balance and weight may be more to your liking.  Other like the balance and weight of the bull barrel.  So I'd see which you like better then buy it and a few boxes of shells and go to it!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline duckmandonk

H&R ULTRA VARMINT
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 01:34:27 PM »
:lol:  THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO FROM BOTH OF U  I PLAN TO BE MAKING TRYING MY LUCK IN KNOCKING DOWN A YOTE AT ABOUT 550 YRDS CAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SOME LONG BALLING FOR MY UNCLE
 U MAY HAVE HEARD OF  UNCLE SAM
  DUSTIN P.
U.ncle S.ams M.isguided C.hild

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
H&R ULTRA VARMINT
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 03:03:28 PM »
duckman
at those ranges, I'd for sure go with the .243 loaded with some 75-85gr boattail bullets.  Speer makes some good ones and they really get the job done.  They should retain plenty of power for that yardage on a coyote.

BTW turn the "caps lock" off, it's kinda like yelling on the net. :grin:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!