Author Topic: 41 mag or 44 mag  (Read 1573 times)

Offline ranger730

• Trade Count: (0)
41 mag or 44 mag
« on: January 12, 2004, 03:49:07 PM »
Been doing a lot of reading here and see some people really like the 41 mag I own sevaral 44's Rugers So how much of a difference between the two like vel. muzzle recoil cause I was just wondering if maybe  one of the next pistols would be a 41 or just stick with 44's                                 And Graybeard if you happen to see this wanted to say really enjoy site and appreciate all the hard work you do here

Offline Questor

41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 04:34:54 PM »
The 44 is the way to go. Components are easy to find, the 44 does everything better than the 41.  The 41 is just going through one if its relatively infrequent revivals, as promoted by the gun magazines.
Safety first

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »
i considered the same not long ago.  a friend brought up one point that i had not considered.  the 44 will handle heavier bullets than the 41.   and components are easier to come by for the 44.   but guys that have 41's sure love them and i would think the recoil to be less than the 44 (but i could be wrong on this point).  
  in the end i think it boils down to whether you want something a bit different or the old standby.  now days, with 454 and 480's,  the 44 seems to be something different; but not as different as the 41.  
   from my perspective, the 44 will do what i ask.  heavy hunting or light target loads, and everything in between.  the 44 is my choice.

Offline revolverman

41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 06:10:08 AM »
41 or 44, it's really a matter of personal preferrence.  It is VERY true that there is a lot more component selection for the 44, but as far as performance is concerned, they are really in the same ballpark.  I always like to point out that the 41 is a true .41 caliber, and the 44 is .429, so the size difference between the two is really not that great.  That being said, I perfer the 44 just because I have more of a chance to find exactly the bullet wieght etc. that I want to load.

Offline Larry Gibson

Re: 41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 08:10:17 AM »
ranger730

"Been doing a lot of reading here and see some people really like the 41 mag I own sevaral 44's Rugers...... "

From your statement it appears that the question is not one of "or".  Your question (the title of the thread) assumes one is stuck with only one choice which for most of us is not the case.  I too have owned several .44 mags and still own and use a couple.  I also have a .41 and have had several over the years.  Then again I also have .357s, etc, etc....  

If we are talking about plinking and informal target shooting then just how much power do we need, not much in reality which is why most of both cartridges are "loaded down" for those types of shooting.  The truth be known, for hunting, the .41 mag will kill 99.99999999% of anything just as effectively as a .44 given appropriate loads and bullets in each.  In those very few other cases the .44 has the edge for obvious reasons.  But how many REALLY have killed a grizzly bear or cape buffalo with either?  Most hunting with either will be on varmints, deer, hogs and perhaps some elk.  I would guess the majority of hunting use is on deer and there isn't a nickels worth of difference between the two (my opinion based on observation of lots of deer killed with both) and I really haven't seen much difference on hogs either.  For elk or bear (blacks) my inclination would be for using the .44 to hunt them with but I'm often carrying my Ruger Bisley .41 and don't feel a bit underguned.  

I have gone nose to nose with a grizzley in Alaska and my '06 was feeling mighty puny so I doubt I'd feel comfortable with either the .41 or .44 there although next time I will have my .44 Anconda 4" on my hip but my M70 .375 H&H or Mauser .450-400-70 would be in my hands.

Is the .41 easier to shoot? If recoil is the deciding factor then yes it is but most .41s are chambered in the same guns as .44s so there is really not any other differences in "shootability".  For me it just happens to be whichever one I "feel" like taking, given the type of shooting I'm going to do.  I do not think the gun rags have much to do with a current "revival" of the .41.  The .41 has been gaining in use steadily over the years.  Many users have found that for most all of the shooting and hunting the heavy bullets and heavier recoil of the .44 is not necessary. (I know Greybeard and others here will disagree but they are the exceptions to the rule amoung handgunners and can effectively use those loads, most handgunners can't)  Most handgunners just cannot shoot well with the increased recoil of the heavy bullet loads but can do quite well with "standard" loads.  Just as many rifle shooter would be far better off (and kill game far better) with standard cartriges than with the current crop of super magnums so it is with handgunners.

I, for instance have small hands and find N-Frames to be uncomfortable with either cartridge.  Putting grips on that make them comfortable to shoot makes them way to big for a proper grip with my hand.   The Colt Anaconda grip fits my hand perectly and I can manage recoil with it using some very heavy .44 mag loads.  Those same loads in the N-frame cause me terrible pain that causes me to flinch within one or two shots.  I have had and used N-frame .41s and found them no more manageable with magnum loads.  Back in the mid '70s I converted a M28 4" to .41 mag and shortly sold it for those reasons.  The M58 I had was comfortable with 200 gr cast at 900 fps but just as uncomfortable as the M28 with magnum loads.

Single actions work just fine for me but there is still a noticeable difference in recoil given the same model between the .41 and the .44.  I shoot heavier .41 loads in Ruger single actions with comfort that were unbearable in the N-frames.  Most shooters will enjoy shooting the .41 much more than the .44s especially with the heavier bullets that are the current "vogue".  Also most shooters will find the .454 and other larger high performance cartridges with the mondo heavy bullets to be just down right intimidating and uncomfortable to shoot.  While I sometimes shoot them (others as I do not choose to own one) I find them not very enjoyable and if I want that much power I go to a rifle (personal choice not a flame).  

I would bet that we would not see near the used .44s on the market had the original owners got .41s instead.  I know many a "previous" .44 owner who sold theirs and went back to the .357 because it was still "fun" and not pain to shoot.  When I let them shoot my Bisley .41 loaded 210 XTPs at 1500 fps most all say: "darn I wish I would have got that instead of the .44, I would still have it."  Guess all that I'm saying is while there are many who would choose the .41 over the .44 given experience with both, most all of us (really experienced handgun shooters) don't have to "choose" because we can shoot both.  Both have their place and I would hate to see either go.

Larry Gibson

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 10:26:53 AM »
Great Info LMG!
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline kciH

• Contributor
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 07:24:16 PM »
A 300gr SSK cast bullet out of a 7.5" Bisley at a little over 1300 fps doesn't give up much of anything against a .44 Mag.  If you're a handloader you can shoot either and do just as well with properly developed loads and bullets, in my opinion.  It's really a matter of preference....if you reload.

I haven't read too many gun articles fawning over the .41's either, but then again, I only read Rifle/Handloader and the NRA magazines which never stop coming.  I'd like to say it's all about performance, which the .41 has plenty of.  The .44 will outdo it for out and out performance, but it's alot like arguing over a .243 and a 6mm.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
41 or 44
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 04:56:21 AM »
ranger - you have gotten an incredible amount of great information in those responses and after LMGs treatise on the topic there is absolutely nothing I could add except for a bit of a diddy which is to say that 41s are a lot of fun but you get a little more with a 44, and I thunked this one up jes fer ya..................LOL.  Mikey.

Offline 1911crazy

41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2004, 03:46:47 AM »
I read an article once that stated the 44mag. and 357 mag. has killed every game in North America with that said i'm sure the 41 mag is very capable too.                                                              BigBill

Offline Buckskinner

41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 03:33:55 PM »
ranger730,
I have been using both calibers for 30 years and have not seen enough difference between the two to get concerned over. Power wise the .44 has a slight edge, but the .41 magum will kill everything that the .44 will. It reminds me of "apples" and "oranges" to compare the two. Since you have already been shooting the .44, you would probably enjoy taking on the .41 as an additional hunting handgun. The Ruger blackhawks in .41 magnum are excellent revolvers and quite accurate.
There goes the only man that I ever respected. He's what every boy dreams of becoming when he grows up and what every man wishes he had been when he gets old...

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 08:14:22 AM »
.41 bullets vs .44, if equal in weight and FPS, will have a little better penetration and stability in flight due to SD being a little better. It's easier to see the (not much) difference if you think of it as .41 to .429 and not .44. Just my two cents worth. BTW, I've found the PMC .41 fodder to be accurate and by far the cheapest factory ammo for the .41 if you don't handload.
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline HogSniper2

41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 03:02:46 AM »
The availability of factory 41 ammo vs 44 factory ammo made the decision for me.  I don't reload so I went with the 44.

Offline Tusker

41 or 44??
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 08:12:02 AM »
Problem is I love them all-- I reload everything, and keep plenty on hand so there is not a problem in the ammo dept.  Might be just me, but in the field, recoil just does not enter into it . :-)

TUSKER

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 11:12:04 PM »
LMG.are you a "used car salesman"? :lol:  Good info,you've sold me on the .41 mag.Going to buy one for deer season to carry with my .30/06. Thanks..................Rick "No Hesitation"
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 07:13:25 AM »
As has been stated, there's not much difference between the two, but there is just enough to notice.  I have arthritic wrists, and the pounding of the 44 is just a little too much, whereas the 41 never bothered me unless I loaded it up to the ragged edge of its potential.
The SD of a 41 bullet is a little better than the 44, and it also shoots a little flatter, according to Elmer Keith.  (If Elmer said it, I believe it.)
For me, it's something different, and personally, a little bit better.  
Everyone's got an opinion, whether it's popular or not!   :grin:
PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 01:52:00 PM »
To say that I favor the .41 would be an understatement  :-D . I have been a die hard .41RemMag fan ever since in my ignorance I made the grave mistake to purchase a S/W 657 as my very first hunting handgun :eek: . At the time I didn't know that deer wouldn't die unless they were shot with a .44RemMag :) . Guess the deer didn't know either. I have 14 .41 caliber handguns, 10 of which are in .41RemMag. I also have 3 .44RemMag and a .45LC. I don't shoot the .44s anymore just keep them around for my oldest son. He thinks the sun rises and sets on the .44. The .45LC I can take or leave it just doesn't make my mouth water. I really like everything about the various .41s I have. Like loading for them, shooting them for fun, hunting with them and it is the caliber I have used to introduce both granddaughetrs to handguns with. MY oldest granddaughter (16 this APR 24th) has her own S/W 657 "Santa gave it to her 2 Christmas' ago. Youngest son has 2 S/W .41s' a 57 and my first 657 that he purchased from the person I traded with for my first T/C  again in .41RemMag. So my vote is go with a .41 you won't be disappointed.
Love those .41s'

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2004, 04:52:03 AM »
Hands down if you can only have one............. the .41 wins out over the .429 mag.
 If you aren't limited to one, get both. You'll find out for yourself.

Load a 210gr JHP over 20gr of W296 in both guns and you'll find that the chrony tells you that the .41 has about 100fps advantage over the .429mag. I have both and like both, but the .41 is my favorite.
                       RV
no x now!

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
41 Mag. or 44 Mag.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 03:19:59 PM »
It sure looks like alot of 41 Mag. fans. Don't ask me why because i don't have a good reason but i'm not a big 44 Mag. fan. I just bought a 10" Contender barrel from Ed's Contenders. Guess what? It's a 41 Mag. Now i would like to hear what other people are using for loads in their 41's.

Offline charlesshort45

41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 12:49:18 PM »
Try Win 296, Unique, and Blue Dot. 296 provides splendid muzzleflash and will frighten the children. :)

With apologies to Yogi Berra, 41 Mag simply shoots better than .44 Mag because it is more shootable. It tends to shoot more like a hot-loaded .357 than a hot loaded .45 Colt; smoother,less torque,and with just a tick less blast. I've had both, and I can just hit better with the .41.  Shoots great on silhouettes too.

Yes, I handload. But home cooking is the only way to enjoy this nice a dish. And the above poster had it right when he said that deer fall down just as fast with the forty-un.

Offline jem375

41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 08:10:05 AM »
there's nothing wrong with the 41 mag, but to even try to compare it to the 44 mag is ridiculous...............comparing it to a 10MM is closer ......the 44 mag handles bigger bullets with ease compared to the 41.........my favorite load for anything with teeth and claws is the Garrett heavyweight cast hammerheads......310 gr. at 1325 fps......deer load......240 gr. or 265 gr. with WW296 or H110............sure the 41 with the 210 gr. will kill deer or pigs, but, so will the 357 mag. with heavier bullets, but I still would reach for the 44 because of all the different bullet weights that it has available......
life is too short to spend it with an ugly gun....

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
41 mag or 44 mag
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2004, 01:23:49 PM »
I like .41s, I don't even own a .44, but I do have a 45LC, and a .480.  And for the non reloader, its too bad there are no .41 specials to practice with, like .38s in the 357, or 44spcl in the 44 mag.
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!