Author Topic: H&R 20 ultra slug hunter  (Read 756 times)

Offline DEPUTY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
H&R 20 ultra slug hunter
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:44:24 PM »
Ok just got the girlfriend her 20 gauge and topped it with a nice leupold 2.5x8 varix III, now the question is this i have 3 in 12 gauge and love them to death, was wondering here if anybody has had any luck with winchester partion gold load or any others i have and always will use lightfields in my 12's and probaly her 20 as well just wondering though what yuo guys have tried

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
H&R 20 ultra slug hunter
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 10:11:32 AM »
I've been using 3" mag Fed barnes expander slugs.  Where my deer stands are on my place I don't get much over 100 yards, probably 80 yards being a max shot, mostly around 30-60 yards.  So I don't shoot the hyper velocity sabots.  The slower federals barnes expanders I shoot carry a bigger heavier slug that open up consistantly and make a very large hole.  I have friends that have used the barnes expanders slug in their muzzleloaders for years and swear by them.  And my ultra 20 shoots the federals between 1" - 2" at 100 yards.  I have some win part golds to try, but until I have a use for them (out of state hog hunt) I'll probably keep my scope zero'd with the federals.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
H&R 20 ultra slug hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 05:38:13 PM »
I have been shooting Part Golds out of my 12GA Ultra Slugger but I have some Lightfields that I picked up after the season on clearance that I am going to try out...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense