Author Topic: Portable Furnace  (Read 676 times)

Offline bullet maker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Portable Furnace
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:00:13 AM »
Hi all?

I found a tool that some of you might be interested in.  You know the frustration, of trying to anneall the copper tubing that you have worked to make it work hardened, and how you have tried everything including the kitchen oven,  :?  but still could not get the right temperature. :idea2:  Will its called the ( Handiboy). I got it at Atwoods store, and it sell`s for $45.95.
   What it is , is a lightweight, portable propane torch. Features 500,000 BTU.U.S, adjustable flame, brass orifice, long-life burner head---excellent for weed control, ice melting, pre-heat steel and much more. Made by Manchester tank in Brentwood, TN.  There customer NO. is 1-800-877-8265
  It works great, you just have to have a small portable propane tank to hook up to it, and it will get those cut copper tubings cherry red in no time. :eek:
    Have a good day
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Portable Furnace
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 12:59:50 PM »
A good article on this subject can be found in the Corbin Company's " Technical Bulletin #3 (c1983), Chapter VIII.  It's the duration of as well as the temperature itself that is important in annealing. In short, the recommended heat for jacket annealing is 450-550oC held for 1 hour. Chapter VIII addresses the use of electric heat guns, propane torches and small furnaces. It infers that very adequate results can be achieved by using inexpensive gear and easy techniques. Anyone who intends to swage jacketed bullets should read the article, as, eventually they most likely will run into situations where annealing is necessary. 8)

Offline bullet maker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Portable Furnace
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 02:50:59 PM »
O.K. thanks Talon :D
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.