Author Topic: Best ammo for .38 Special 2 1/2" SP101? (standard and/o  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Rscout6945

• Trade Count: (0)
Best ammo for .38 Special 2 1/2" SP101? (standard and/o
« on: February 29, 2004, 07:43:44 PM »
I posted this forum a couple days ago and it got eaten by the server change over so here goes again.

I need to know what all of you think is the best .38 Special ammo currently made.  I have heard that the Federal 125 grain Nyclad load in standard and +P were supposed to be the best but they are no longer made, you see my problem.

The runner-up's suggested to me are the Federal 129 grain +P Hydra-shok and the Winchester 110 grain Silvertips.  These I have not been able to find either yet.  I have been able to lay my hands on 1 box of Winchester 125 grain +P silvertips for now.

The ammo is for a woman's nightstand gun, SP101 DAO .357 Mag 2 1/2" Barrel.  The shooter (I hope not!) has little-some experience with guns.  She can not handle .357 Mag's so any suggestions will be great.  Thanks
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that in good.-George Washington  Semper Fi!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Best ammo for .38 Special 2 1/2" SP101
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 01:37:53 AM »
Those hot shot 125 gr bullets will have a lot of muzzle blast and that often intimidates a new shooter more than recoil.  Load her up some .38 spl cast swc over 3.0 gr of Bullseye for practice, she will enjoy that.  Then put Federal lead .38 spl 158gr swc hp +p in it for the night stand, they will do the job.  That's all I carry anymore when I wear my snubby.  With a two inch bbl, most HPs won't open anyway so the extra wt bullet will help.  Most guns shoot to point of aim with this load also, while the 125s usually shoot low.    44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Best loads for a 38 snubby
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 03:37:15 AM »
Rscout6945:  the best loads I have ever come across for a 38 snubby are the 200 gn semi-wadcutter or roundnose flat point over 3.8 of WW231 for a stated velocity (factory) of 770'/sec.  Your choice of bullet but I don't think you can do better than that.  I carry and shoot that load exclusively in either of the snubbies I pack.  I know what it can do.  Thank you.  Mikey.

Offline Buck

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 06:14:40 PM »
I mostly agree with 44 man, and go for 158 gr SWC HP +P (Remington sells basically the same round as a LHP +P).  As for JHPs for a .38Sp load in a 2 1/2" snubbie, I'd recommend the Winchester SXT (130gr) or Speer Gold Dot (125gr) load.  The Guns & Ammo 2004 Handguns Annual had a test of several .38Sp loads with a 2 1/2" snubbie, and the above two loads scored best.  They expanded in both bare and clothed gelatin and penetrated approx. 12" to 15."  If availablity of ammo is a problem, you may want to try an online store like Natchez Shooters Supply or Outdoor Marksman, but they have minimum orders ($35 and $50, respectively), but you get the most out of your shipping dollar if you place a big order anyway.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 06:33:11 AM »
The Nyclads are no longer made but you can find them around if you look, my distributor even has them marked way down, so I bought several boxes.  As for the 110 Silvertip, I think it's a little light for defensive duties, I'd opt for the 125 Silvertip or the 158 lead hollowpoint the FBI and numerous other agencies made famous as the Metro Load.  
Federal's 130SXT also performed well in my tests, though expansion is pretty iffy from a two-inch.  Whatever you choose, make sure she practices, and I don't just mean two-handed standing!  If it's a bed gun, have her shoot from lots of potential positions, like prone, supine, kneeling behind cover, etc.  Just remember when she is shooting upwards, to keep in mind where your backstop is! :eek:
PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Cameron

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 06:34:25 PM »
158 grain plus p semi wadcutter hollop point rounds,an alternative would be glaser safety slugs and or mag safe fragmentation rounds .

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Something to consider
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »
I carry a 357 SP 101.  When carrying in town I like to use various 38 special loads - currently Fed Hydrashocks 147 gr +P+ that an LEF friend gave me.  Or Rem Golden Saber 38's.  While it might not be realistic, I like the 38's because they clear from my cylinder better than 357 brass.  If I ever had to reload, it will be much easier if I'm using 38's.  They are also much milder to shoot and easier to get back on target for a second shot.

Out in the field I go for the full power 357 - WW 145 gr silver tips or any of the 158 gr soft point factory load as I might be dealing with some animal other than human and I'm more likely to be in less confined quarters.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline S.S.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 04:49:35 AM »
I read in another post of reloads with Hollow Base wadcutters
loaded backwards to create a large Hollow point.
I too carry these when I carry my .38, and they are
pretty nasty rounds on impact.
I have shot several "THINGS" with them and they
performed flawlessly.
If you are worried about the "RELOADS" and the Law/courts
arguement, there is a small "Factory" In Temple, Ga.
named "Advanced Bullets" that create them.
They call them their "STOPPER", and I think they are offered
in several calibers.
I do believe GECO loads them also.
I would reserve carrying them to warm weather only, as they
may not do as well against someone wearing heavy clothing.
May expand to quickly to penetrate deeply enough.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".